1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

NBC Nightly News

Discussion in 'Network News' started by tvnewsjunkie, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

Weekend Today and Today show has not been the same since he got promoted.He made morning television watchable and less self centered. You could tell his female co-anchors loved being around him. Weekend Today had their best renaissance when Lester was the host.

In some ways I feel that NBC does not deserve him. I love seeing Lester on both evening and morning news also he did cable news. That triple threat ability to do any form of hosting and news, is so rare.
    Lester was far ahead of everybody on the Today show however, politics and politics. There is a reason why all the good anchors like Campbell, Soledad O' Brien etc all left NBC. However, NBC management must've fought very hard to keep Lester from leaving they knew they had a gem.

rkolsen and JacobC like this.
  2. JacobC

JacobC Weekend Anchor

Nightly News has tanked down so bad since he took over to weeknights. Could this be the end for Lester? Or the viewers trusting him amid steady ratings?

3. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

I think the ratings business is outdated cause not everyone is watching traditional television as much. People look at programming through their computers.
    I don't know how important ratings is when it comes to evening news but his newscast is still doing very well. He is winning the younger demographic according to Neilsen numbers. However not everything is Neilsen, people also DVR his newscast and also he is streaming on mobile devices.

So, I think the ratings notion is outdated and just another form of bragging rights.

Also I think the evening news format will have to evolve in the future, it is kind of outdated knowing the time we are living in with constant disruption.

#323 Robin Red, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. MorningNews

MorningNews News Director

No.. NBC Nightly News was on a downward climb when Brian Williams was at the helm, ABC was becoming more competitive. Lester isn't going to be a scapegoat for an overall industry trend. Less and less people each year are tuning into the network evening newscasts. I myself haven't watched consistently like I used to in for the last 5 or so years. My parents and grandparents turn it off right after the local news wraps. 10-15 years ago the TV was tuned to KTRK Eyewitness News from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. then again at 10 p.m. for the late news, people just don't do that anymore.

#324 MorningNews, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Eat News, Robin Red, Weeters and 2 others like this.
  5. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

That is so true with Brian Williams.
    I think Lester is doing NBC a favor cause if he were to step down or go to another network, then we will definitely see a down trend. Also evening news is to predictable and we are living in a disruptive age where news can happen while you are watching your evening newscast. I think sooner or later then evening news will have to evolve.

6. jase

jase AM Anchor

Couldn't agree more. I watch maybe 10 to 15 minutes of local news (at 5P, 9P & 10P) and that's it. I just don't have time to watch more than that nowadays. Anything else, I'll just catch up on it on-line. God forbid the apocalypse would occur. I'll be up s*** creek.

MorningNews likes this.
  7. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

There is a downward trend, regardless of who's at the helm, across the entire industry. News is going to "evolve" into being short bytes on social media. The target demo has neither the time or attention span to sit through a 30-minute structured news program listening to things they really don't care about for the two things they do.

8. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

True eventually the networks will have to evolve and try to do things different.

9. Webovision

Webovision AM Anchor

i am in the target demo, and the only reason i watch network news is i work in tv and it's on at my desk... if i wasn't working i wouldn't watch...

why? because i've heard it already... i saw the same news on Twitter three hours ago... and i didn't have to sit through a bunch of fluff to see it...

i'm not sure you will like how they "evolve"... Its going to be nothing like how it is now... one anchor? long opens? all of that will go away... to attract the kiddos...

@Weeters needs to make a pure HTML theme for this site so people can pretend it really is 1995...

MorningNews likes this.
  10. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

Why do they hash the same old news and script that we heard at 9AM in the morning.

11. MorningNews

MorningNews News Director

I’m not even sure it has much to do with the target demo’s attention span. To me it simply boils down to, why would I watch this newscast for a recap of news that I’ve seen 5 hours ago? I’ve caught myself way too many times picking up my phone to find a news article that a newscast has just teased for after the break. TV network news did terrible at keeping up with the internet.

12. djlynch

djlynch Health Team

A little late to the discussion, but I really want to echo this. The social media generations already know what happened. We're more interested in why things happen and what they mean. Give us several minutes on how bad the situation was for the people showing up at the border to seek asylum, and not just what happens afterward. Do a full package on the most important agenda item at the city council meeting before it happens, not just a quick SOT when it passes.

MorningNews and H4UL4U like this.
  13. H4UL4U

H4UL4U Health Reporter

It seems too TV news in general will be live from whatever is breaking; whether on the local level be that a fire, shooting, or car crash, or on the national level that may be the border, the scene of the latest mass shooting, or some type of natural disaster where people's lives are clearly impacted and have a story to tell. More often than not, once the liveshot or broadcast is done they pack up and leave with little followup on the event, just being live for the sake of being live like it's 1978 and that was the new thing.

rkolsen likes this.
  14. JCB4TV

JCB4TV Primary Anchor

This week, Lester Holt has been all over the place:

Monday: Finland
    Tuesday: 30 Rock
    Wednesday: Aspen, CO

15. H4UL4U

H4UL4U Health Reporter

What is the control room area behind Lester while he is anchoring on set? Does anyone know?

16. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

You mean in 30 Rock behind the glass panels? That’s the newsroom that launched with msnbc back in 2007. They either use the full 3A studio backdrop (as it was intended) or as they do most of the time they the cut newsroom portion in half with an LED wall if the slides in which shows a backdrop similar to the one Nightly has. On the other side is another wall for msnbc where they have a video where it looks like the typical view to the Nightly Studio or they show generic graphics. It’s always on showing something even when it’s slid into “hiding” but can be seen in certain shots.