NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

Discussion in 'General TV' started by A3N, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Ahhhh
    And they call America one big melting pot.
    I don't envy anyone at that place, because unless a giant majority of your newsroom speaks Spanish, then this is a pain in the ass to implement.
    Are all the video editors bi-lingual?
    How many producers speak Spanish?
    How does the assignment desk handle the Spainsh ? Do you ALWAYS have someone available to translate...ALWAYS???

Just watch, and in a few months all Telemundo will get is KNSD's tailings from the days events. Re-dubbed stories and a lot of bad translations.
    The Spanish speaking interns will be busy translating 24/7...because KNSD won't be able to afford real bi-lingual staffers without a nice pay boost . Most companies pay a nice bonus for truly bi-lingual employees...not the "garbage Spanish"( ie: bad translations) many speak here.

Sucks to be them.

#221 Eat News, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. A3N

A3N LIVE

That's what I was wondering as well. How well do they have their basis covered to ensure that this outlet puts out a respectable product? Because if they half-bake this, then it's going to be a big failure. Latinos tend to be more news consumers, and I can guarantee they won't put up with any garbage reporting.

I'm expecting- at least at the beginning, a lot of stories being plucked out of the other Telemundo O&O's to fill air time. One thing I haven't heard is what do they plan on doing for Live reports? Do they send an NBC 7 reporter and a T20 reporter to the same story? or do they send one bilingual reporter to report for both outlets?

Also, the news folks at KNSD need to remember one BIG thing: Conversational Spanish is not always appropriate for television news (not due to bad language). If they go in with a mentality that just because one of their employees can speak Spanish, they're good to go on air at Telemundo, then they're making a grave mistake.

You can share resources, but they MUST remember that they're catering to 2 different audiences. Also, we can't forget that XHAS is not going away entirely (not yet at least). T20 will be competing with UNV17/XHAS for viewers, so they cannot afford to screw this up.

Eat News likes this.
  3. Eat News

I think you actually said that much better than me.
    Hope they remember KBNT is an all Spanish newsroom.
    Just the workflow will be a major bitch. Will ENPS convert all the scripts automatically? Who will proof the scripts? You will NEED to proof ALL of them...and in every cast....no exceptions. That alone will drive you nuts.
    KNSD is far from that.

The difference WILL show. It's one thing to try to pass this off in Boston or Peroia...but yup...boff it here, and it will hurt.

rkolsen, A3N and Raymie like this.
  4. A3N

A3N LIVE

No doubt. This is going to be a big test for all the on-air peeps of T20. They're going to be expected to actually do the work of 3-4 people since they're going to be working with limited [spanish-speaking] staff.

On a side note, i'm curious to know what the power structure at KNSD will be like. Does Greg Dawson have authority over T20's ND Pedro Calderon, or are they equals? This might be a bit hairy since they'll be sharing talent...

5. Eat News

Oh that IS a good question.
    This could be more fun than we thought.

6. Eat News

I bet Dawson have overall control of news resources. Pedro most likely has editorial control over T-20 and control of some dedicated resources like his anchors and maybe a live backpac unit and a photograher / video editors / producers

The key is MMJ's...
    Keep the brunt of the workflow issues on one person/ mind. One person makes all conversions. Once you start passing off the editing or scripting to others you get problems.
    You will see a boat load of Astrid Solarzano packages and live shots. The Bi- MMJ's will be working those asses off.

How many major translation errors will happen because someone used Google Translator?
    Ban Google Translator NOW KNSD...it will bite you in the ass on day -1.

Sucks to be a KNSD Bi-Lingual MMJ
    Super sucks...
    Sucky sucks...
    Mucho's sucko! (upside down!)

7. A3N

A3N LIVE

Fun times ahead! But honestly, they should have plucked Claudia Rodriguez over from UNV. It would have given them a credible voice and instant name-recognition in the market.

8. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

I was thinking bringing back Tania Luviano

9. A3N

A3N LIVE

She came to mind the other day, but I haven't heard anything about her since she was laid off back in 08'-ish? Even after the MyTV43 shutdown, she still stuck around at NBC 7. Her English wasn't perfect, but it was serviceable-enough to be kept around at the station.

10. Eat News

I ate her...and I did it for the sake of the children.

A3N likes this.
  11. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

How many dedicated personnel were at launch of WWSI's newscasts in Philadelphia? It seems like it's the same general structure - they share the same GM and ND with an assistant ND overseeing Telemundo.

One bright side is at this being San Diego (and Southern California in general) is that you may have more people in the newsroom with the ability to comprehend the language.

12. A3N

A3N LIVE

A peak at the new Telemundo 20 set:

And here's a pic of the newly re-wrapped KNSD Live trucks:

13. rkolsen

The buggy @Eat News posted is a Drone Buggy. So much for a chopper.

Edit:
    WVIT has one

#233 rkolsen, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Eat News likes this.
  14. A3N

A3N LIVE

So it's basically a glorified Live truck... Can't wait for them to try and use it during a major story only to have it be grounded by Fire/Police authorities.

15. Eat News

You are frigging kidding me?
    " Drone Ranger...because we are too cheap to rent a helicopter....."

16. rkolsen

That's what I was thinking. They need a certified pilot to fly that thing.

17. Eat News

...the kicker would be if you told us it was being operated by Welk/ACA....

I'm still laughing.

Hey why not just call the trusty Drone Ranger Reporter Sidekick "Tonto"?

"Who was that masked man????????"

So it's Illegal to fly drones at the local beaches, state parks, most local parks, you can't fly over crowds, fires, riots, swat's, freeways, navy homecomings, ju-ju bee's, proms,football games, swap meets , OTL, Sea World, the Zoo.....and frigging Costco.

So where the hell will Drone Ranger Fly???????

.....With the monkeys ...that will be flying ...out of our asses!

#237 Eat News, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. A3N

A3N LIVE

Can't the big wigs at corporate cut a deal with Welk for good, cost-effective chopper coverage for at the very least, their California stations?

I mean, we saw what happened yesterday at the apartment complex in La Jolla. Would have been a good opportunity to send the chopper up for some aerial footage. So it is needed. Do they plan on being at the mercy of KFMB in deciding when they'll send the chopper up?

19. Eat News

Be grateful KFMB got it up on a Sunday.
    NBC would love nothing more to prove you can cover all 4,200 sq miles of SD county with a drone. Make the drone and Welk compete against each other.

The reality is it's arguable that there are a million cameras, and plenty of Live-u backpac's to make a chopper obsolete in such a large market.

Otherwise there would be at least a lame-ass R-44 with an NBC logo on it flying around SD.

20. rkolsen

If that's what KXAS uses what equivalent would KNSD get? A gyrocopter?