NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

Discussion in 'General TV' started by A3N, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Oh boy!
    Maybe it's an Ice Cream truck...

Ice Cream Ranger 7200

Yum!

2. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Maybe it's like the Storm Chaser 5 that WMAQ has. But seriously they don't need a dedicated truck for that.

Maybe with two stations now they can afford a helicopter.

3. Eat News

Were the Storm Buggy's shipped as completed units?
    Are all these Ram based NBC units being built by the same folks?
    Who?
    Shook, Wolfe? Frontline?
    Is that a Ford or Dodge in the pic cuz I sure cannot tell.
    It's possible it's still waiting to be outfitted..or not.
    I think it would be funny if it was the

"NBC Breaking News Ranger / Stomper739-T20"

That would so-pisss-off KGTV and Paul Indrag's "Breaking News Tracker"

Ground war first?
    Then to the Air^^^^^^^?

#203 Eat News, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

By Accelerated Media Technology of Massachusetts. They've been NBC's go to source for live trucks and weather vehicles. You can see photos on their Facebook page.

Eat News likes this.
  5. Eat News

Nice stuff...
    Now i'm really intrerested because I would think AMT would ship a completed custom rig. I guess we shall see...because I'm stumped..

6. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Wow! NBC using a channel branding for their new Telemundo subchannel! KFMB ought to try that, yanno...

7. A3N

A3N LIVE

They should be able to afford that chopper, but of course it will never happen. Although, it would make a great marketing tool to go along with the new truck...

There's a promo to be made showing off this new NBC 7 Breaking News First Alert Storm Ranger Thunder Chaser Jr. and have it bitch slap that KGTV Prius out of the way. Of course, KNSD doesn't operate that way since they're so plain jane with everything they do..

Eat News likes this.
  8. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

Their creative services dept has no creativity, the body wraps were an upgrade but still basic with the skyline and logo on the sat truck. At least add NEWS or Coverage YOU Count On.

9. A3N

A3N LIVE

Remember, it costs them extra for the vowels.

So, the less letters, the more they save. Lol.

but yeah, you're right. Although, I'm withholding judgement until I can see the finished product. The picture of the sat truck looks like it was taken when they were halfway done with it.

Eat News and CaptainNews like this.
  10. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

NBC Bay Area wins the best van design out of the O&O group. "The Investigative Unit." LOL

A3N, CaptainNews and rkolsen like this.
  11. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

That must be why WKBW spells out "AM Buffalo" as "AM Bflo" ...

Eat News, A3N and CaptainNews like this.
  12. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

You know what I hate... BAD NEWS HEADLINES.

Mexican broadcasting news stories can be bad, because few people have a grasp of what's going on. (Especially when news agencies rehash the IFT's press releases.)

Remember how the IFT told XHAS "you can't broadcast the same program in HD and SD at the same time"? What should have been an inane, technical headline instead turns into shockingly bad articles from major Mexican newspapers.

So along comes El Universal, with the headline "IFT denies transmission of Telemundo on two channels". Never mind that the story is nearly a month late (the matter was discussed at the IFT's March 22 meeting). It's so dry as to be confusing for the average reader, ESPECIALLY given that the station is barely Mexican.

And then we got Nicolás Lucas, normally a great columnist and writer on telecommunications matters over at El Economista, decrying that the decision the IFT made, based on the argument that they could double their ad time (which was mentioned, but in this case would not necessarily be true), was a case of interference.

Neither article, of course, discusses the fact that by the time the request (dated November) made it to the IFT's commissioners, it was stale and the station was to lose its network affiliation agreement.

Eat News and A3N like this.
  13. A3N

A3N LIVE

14. ED2

ED2 Reporter

15. A3N

A3N LIVE

Not surprising that they were looking to hire bilingual journalists. In fact, weekend weather anchor Llarisa Abreu (when she first arrived) mentioned that one of the things the station was looking for was to hire a bilingual weather anchor (this was a few months before word got out of KNSD taking the Telemundo affiliation in house).

As for the set, the background looks like KNSD's, except it has a bit more wood.

16. ED2

ED2 Reporter

Will they have a reporter or two based Tijuana?

17. A3N

A3N LIVE

Highly doubtful since that would be an expense they may want to have. XHAS already had a studio/facility in Tijuana so it was easier to base some reporters there, but T20 may rely on having their reporters cross into/out of TJ for stories.

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't add a morning newscast on T20. There is zero competition in the AM for the spanish-speaking station, so it's money they're missing out on. Who knows, maybe they'll add one in the future.

18. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Managing Editor

I guess its all about taking baby steps. But then NBC hasn't launched an morning newscast in the news ops they've launched in Philly & the Rio Grande Valley either. And the latter is another border market like San Diego.

Now, they also didn't mentioned anything about weekends either. Maybe that might come later down the road. Maybe it's probably wise to just concentrate on these weeknight shows first. And then if it all goes well, then expand.

19. Eat News

Wow,
    Looks like Artie Ojeda got kicked to the curb...still stuck on weekends after all these years.

20. A3N

A3N LIVE

He's no longer anchoring weekends. He's a dayside reporter during the week. Basically, they did to him what they did to Rory Devine (pull them off the desk and stick them to reporting, after many years on the desk). Omari Fleming took his spot on the Weekend PM news.

But don't be surprised to see Llarisa fill in for the Telemundo weather chick when she's out. Just like MJ will be doing sports for both NBC7/T20. Double Duty whenever/wherever possible.

Eat News likes this.