1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

NBC 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by WCAUTVNBC10, Mar 18, 2014.

1. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

Spoiler: Most sets behind the scenes *are* a hot mess.

10's one in particular is probably even more so because IIRC that weather area was built back when they were still using the two-story Schwaid era news set--before they went HD!

2. emmi_18

emmi_18 Reporter

I think HulkieD discussed this a few years ago, when 10 refreshed its set with the window video wall behind the desk. Yes, back in 2000, the set was a two-story, but I think elements of that set was removed by 2004, to make room for the massive Earthwatch set. From then, until the new HD set in 2008, the massive weather set was shown pretty extensively, even to the point where stand-up shots were sometimes done there. When the HD set was built, that massive weather set shrunk, and with the First Alert Weather walls addition a few years ago, that original weather space back in 2004, had been greatly reduced.

3. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Thanks. I was curious as I don’t think I’ve ever really seen the actual area from where the picture was taken. It looks like that area was also cannibalized as a work space as well. From what I’ve seen some of the Telemundo 62 Weather prep work goes on down there as well.

4. TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews Primary Anchor

5. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

Came across what could be WCAU's future set in the Comcast Technology Center:

http://kris-cerola.com/#/broadcastdesign/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd like to see what the finished product would look like but it looks pretty nice (I'll even forgive them for using the Pittsburgh skyline in the video wall shot).

#645 WCAUTVNBC10, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. rkolsen

Probably not. It’s neat. But as @Weeters says whenever you see a design online before it debuts it means it didn’t get the bid.

7. rkolsen

I should add that it would make an incredible set. Having the option of two different ways to present from the home base (the large monitor wall) and the random assortment of monitors with what looks like they could be the newsroom. The newsroom backdrop could open or they could have a privacy screen that would be backlit with the LED glass walls. The corner soft set looks nice.

8. jbnews

jbnews Future Newsman

That would be a nice set. If the view is nice, their new set should take advantage of being up off the ground. I can't remember how high. WCAUTVNBC10 said they are hoping to move into the new building this summer.

9. JULIUS MAY

JULIUS MAY Newsroom Intern

Any thoughts on the welcome America 4th of July coverage on NBC 10 for this year ?

10. JULIUS MAY

JULIUS MAY Newsroom Intern

Love the new set.

11. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

12. HulkieD

HulkieD COUNT ON IT

I do. The key is that she’s bilingual. That means she can report for both WCAU and WWSI. You beef up the reporting staff of both stations with a single hire.

13. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Great, then hire her as a reporter, not an anchor.

14. emmi_18

emmi_18 Reporter

It's about time Rosemary was promoted to weekdays. I would have been perfectly fine if she was paired with Keith at 5 when they were searching for a co-anchor a few years ago. At least if either Vai or Tracy is off, Rosemary can easily sub for them, instead of moving one of the morning reporters to the anchor chair. By the way, 10's morning reporter depth is deep... I think they have 4 that work the morning on a regular basis. With the way weekend evening newscasts are constructed now, it makes sense to just have Denise doing it.

15. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

I’d have to disagree with you there. 10 goes for an hour Sunday. 6 has co-anchors on Sunday night. 29 as well as other stations across the country have their A teams on Sunday-Thursday. Sister station WNBC in NYC has two anchors on weekend evenings.

24994J likes this.
  16. emmi_18

emmi_18 Reporter

Ultimately, I guess it depends on how stations prioritize their weekend newscasts now, compared to 15-20 years ago. 6 makes sense to have Walter and Sarah on Sundays, with 5PM (? not 100% sure), 6, 10 on PHL 17, and 11. 29 having Lucy and Ian on Sunday-Thursday makes more sense now, especially this fall with TNF on Fox. While writing this, I just remembered that Denise was paired with Chris Cato a few years ago and that pairing was great. It IS a good question why she has gone solo since Cato was moved to mornings.

TVNewsLover likes this.
  17. TheFizzle21

TheFizzle21 Assignment Editor

I didn't watch the whole thing (made it in 20 mins or so before fireworks) and I was in the crowd at the museum watching, but I would say it was pretty good overall. Can't say too much as a two-time guest of Philly, but I was impressed nonetheless.