MLB 2017 Season

Discussion in 'Sport Center' started by Spring Rubber, Mar 18, 2017.

1. A3N

A3N LIVE

Here's a look at the updated FOXTrax:
    [​IMG]

Last year's FOXTrax:
    [​IMG]

_____________________________________________________________________________

And going back to earlier posts RE: NBC Sports Bay Area. A few screenshots from the opens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

Okay, upgraded pitch trackers must be new across the board, cause Sportsnet (Blue Jays) also has one.

I also stand corrected; last season it looked like this, but it didn't have those extra details.

But on the opener it looked like this. People did mention that it disappeared part way through the game, so maybe it didn't load their skin so it went to whatever fallback this is (that looks eerily more like Sportsnet LA than Sportsnet in Canada)

#22 Viper550, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

The two locals in Chicago that air games have used the pitch trackers pretty sparingly in previous years, so part of me is curious if they'll get any kind of upgrades (though I guess they would). It may take awhile to find out, though, as those two stations have yet to air any games, and weather cancellations have been unrelenting.

4. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

Oh yeah, YES Network has finally come back to Comcast systems, much to the relief of Yankee fans (such as me and my dad) and, to a lesser extent, fans of the Nets and NYC FC (I'm pretty sure the latter has only 1,000 fans- it's pretty obscure); they got in a dispute over fees back in 2015, and as a result they were taken off Comcast for all of last season.

5. A3N

A3N LIVE

I can't remember which team telecast I heard this, but it was mentioned that MLB was changing the location of where the speed gun measured the velocity of the pitch. Something like that. I really can't remember the fine details, but they did say that the change could lead to higher MPH being registered on pitches. I'm not sure if this new pitch speed thing is part of the pitch tracker updates we've seen the RSN's introduce.

6. ehatt493

ehatt493 Assignment Editor

I've noticed a pretty weird thing going on on FOX Sports Go. The only RSN I get is FOX Sports Ohio's Cincinnati feed, showing the Reds, Cavs and CBJ, with the Reds having priority and any overflow goes to FSGo. Turns out I've also been getting Indians games from FOX SportsTime Ohio despite not being in their viewing area or having STO. They're only on FSGo and not on TV. I asked FSO what was up on Twitter but they never got back to me. Another strange thing is that FSGo shows Reds games out to a week in advance, where Indians listings go out 2 days. I don't know if it's an opening week thing or what.

7. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

Len Kasper on the Cubs telecast just confirmed that this new Pitchcast is provided directly by MLB to all RSNs/local stations effective this year, which is why it looks pretty similar across the board, just with different skins to match each network's graphics package. Len also pointed out that the data has been pretty iffy in this Cubs/Cardinals game today, as it is falsely identifying many of Lance Lynn's pitches as sliders, even though you can clearly see that they're fastballs or changeups while watching the game.

Also, yeah, I heard that pitch speeds are going to be registered approx. 1mph higher this year, as previously the data was provided by Pitch F/X, but now MLB is handling all of the data in-house, and MLB's data is roughly 1mph higher than Pitch F/X.

Looks like MLB is really trying to take control of their sport's stats going forward, thus pushing aside all of the third parties who used to gather and present this data. How long until they come up with a sabermetrics alternative to Fangraphs?

8. Georgie56

Georgie56 Primary Anchor

IMG_0561.JPG Another new thing I noticed on CSN/NBCS are little numbers appearing to the right of the current batter's name on lower thirds. I wonder what those are supposed to represent.

9. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Position in the line-up. Someone might've mentioned it above.

10. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

The very first post of the topic was about this. :)

11. Georgie56

Georgie56 Primary Anchor

Whoops. Haha. That's embarrassing.

12. A3N

A3N LIVE

Interesting. I wonder if there's a special camera in center field (or near there) that is solely for this new Pitchcast? Each stadium (should be by now) are wired, and have special cameras for StatCast to use. I believe the RSN's can tap into the cameras live during the telecasts, but their main function is for StatCast.

13. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

Okay, here's what they did;
    • They've been working on Statcast for a while now.
    • This year, it officially replaced the old PitchFX system as the statistics of record for pitch speed.
    • The new system is radar-based, and measures by maximum velocity rather than velocity at what was basically a speed trap camera
    • This is why the pitches are sometimes coming up faster than they did last year. It's more accurate, it seems.

A3N likes this.
  14. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

Ah, good article. Thanks for the info.

Also, I noticed that the Pitchcast wasn't being used by NBCS Bay Area or by FS Arizona during the game tonight. Perhaps issues with the system at that stadium?

15. Viper550

Viper550 News Director

Sportsnet brought back the colored Strike/Ball/Foul markets from the old tracker, but the pitch identification has vanished.