1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

May 2018 Sweeps Ratings

Discussion in 'New York News' started by AA55, Jun 5, 2018.

1. newsfan6

newsfan6 Assignment Editor

2. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

3. newsfan6

Ratings are proprietary data from Nielsen and cannot be fully reposted in original form. Wait for the press release if you have doubts. But if Ch 6 was #1 you'd see something from them by now. Numbers are released to advertisers *only especially when there is no clear across the board "most watched station".

4. PNart2

PNart2 Assignment Editor

I see it, a lot of people watch Good Day around where I am, plus the numbers are close so it’s believable to me.

5. Bill from Maspeth

Bill from Maspeth Health Reporter

brianpr3 likes this.
  6. Bill from Maspeth

Bill from Maspeth Health Reporter

Not that I'm from Philly, but I would think the viewers would rather go for a local show rather than a national one.

7. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

The only official source of the ratings is Nielsen and Comscore.

Both services will allow stations to post certain very select sets of numbers ONLY if they wish, according to contract.

The ratings services will also release select ratings...but not the whole ratings book and grids.

Everything else from all other sources (including TV station press releases) is considered suspect and almost unverifiable.

Nielsen and Comscore may release whatever they wish...to whoever they wish.

Viewers are not subscribers to the ratings services...unless they pay for a subscription like everyone else.

In the past stations didn't really have many reasons to fudge the numbers because everyone was making bank...why complain?

Things are different now.

8. newsfan6

Well then you've never seen an overnight rating report. They are broken full down into A18-35 A 25-54 W\M and then total and HH... It's all released daily and in monthly rolling. A rating period is also treated as a rolling. There is no "fudging" the number.. it's purely a what do I want to show game to advertisers. If your younger demo looks better you'd release adults 18 metrics and shorten the sample size.

9. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Overnights?
    They do ratings while people are sleeping?
    Amazing!

(plonk)
    (if you posted the overnights here Nielsen and your employer would crawl up your butt so fast with lawyers it would make your station spin...and you would be working at 7-11...but you would make more money at 7-11...so let's see those overnights you have.))