KTVU New Open?

Discussion in 'Graphics' started by CaptainNews, Apr 18, 2017.

1. CaptainNews

CaptainNews Weekend Anchor

Open is at (0:21)
    I'm not sure if it's me getting to this late or not but I haven't seen a thread on a graphics update. Is this open being used for all FOX O&O's?

2. YTownNewsGuy

YTownNewsGuy News Director

I think this open is KTVU only. In fact, it could be exclusive to the 11PM newscast. The other newscasts use a different opening package.
    EDIT: The 10PM newscast also uses it, too.

#2 YTownNewsGuy, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. HulkieD

HulkieD COUNT ON IT

The one thing that stuck out about those opens... can Fox get a new theme package? For the love of all that is holy, can they get a new theme package?

4. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

This was the debut open btw as yes... The 11:00 O'Clock News started yesterday and is Sundays-Fridays.

5. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

KTVU has had custom opens for some time now? This one is a bit more FOX-ish but still...

6. Charles

Charles Recovering Overnight Producer

The previous ones were better. Mad props to whoever designed those...

mark, SFTV, CaptainNews and 1 other person like this.
  7. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

But ... but how else can Fox TV O&Os be confused with the Fox News Channel?

Seriously, that theme package was adaquate at best, and failed to age with time.

AJClementeFan69 likes this.
  8. HulkieD

HulkieD COUNT ON IT

I liked it when WTXF got it... but it has not aged well. At all. And this is the market with the forty year old news music.

9. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

The forty year old news music that is far stronger, melodically, than the Fox O&O themes ever were.

10. Charles

Charles Recovering Overnight Producer

As long as we're talking about dinosaur themes, it's worth remembering the classic that KTVU stuck with for almost a quarter of a century.

The theme that replaced it wasn't bad and sounded close enough to the 80s theme that it still worked, though that Fox music is trash.

11. bhratbrat

bhratbrat News Director

The previous designer was someone that had a big presence on this forum a long while back.

SFTV likes this.
  12. ABC 7 Denver

ABC 7 Denver News Music Connoisseur

The current CSD is a friend of mine and is the same one who had a former (and lurking) presence here.

13. noggi

noggi Newsroom Intern

Thanks. ;)

If anyone's interested, here's a bit of the inside story on the graphics situation there.

There's a misconception about the new ownership wanting to change the logo and KTVU "fighting" to keep it - it wasn't much of a fight. They sent some options but were incredibly easy to work with when it came to keeping the "laser 2" logo. There was so much to do in getting the new graphics online as well as the new CG system that custom opens weren't really on the top of my to do list - so we launched with this standard look:

No one really liked the big red white and blue logo (called the 'box kite' logo amongst the Fox people) so there was a bit of a knee-jerk decision to make new show opens. There was also discussion about going back to the old music (or the old, old music). Here's a rough concept of the open:

And for those who like to wax nostalgic, this is the music we were also considering (maybe not too seriously):

Long story short, this is where the opens ended:

They're pretty heavily influenced by what WLS has (or had) at the time. This whole scenario took place in the course of a week or two, so there wasn't a ton of time to build these between the other projects going on.

One really sad note - when the station was owned by Cox Media Group, we had purchased brand new Chyron systems and I was working on a new graphics package with Hothaus. The day I received my first batch of early design concepts from them was the same day the announcement was made that the stations were being traded. June 24th, 2014. Sad day for me -- for a number of reasons.

So there's a little inside information for you! I'm no longer with the station but I did like the evolution of my design that launched this week for the new 11p show and I'm sure they'll replace my work on the other shows with this new design--and they should!

Edit:

I should also add -- a modern interpretation of the classic KTVU open with the 3D city flyover was planned in the graphics relaunch I was working on in 2014 but obviously never came to fruition. I never had time for it afterward... but that would have been a lot of fun.

#13 noggi, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    bammy99, tw-804, mposeymil and 13 others like this.
  14. MikePulse

MikePulse AM Anchor

I think I speak for the lot of us here when I say, the classic theme or Icon would still work. There is no force on this planet that will ever make me believe the Fox theme suits San Francisco.

tw-804, mposeymil, SFTV and 1 other person like this.
  15. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

The theme doesn't bother me but the only part that i don't like it's that they use a shorthand version of the close and the rotating FOX 2 and laser 2 during the newscasts.

I also noticed they updated the app icon on my phone a week ago with a basic white background and got rid of the search lights to keep the original laser 2

16. sfomspphl

sfomspphl Reporter

Thanks for sharing.

Hope you managed to get copies of the old classic themes. Heard you guys had commissioned an update of the classic 80s / 90s theme before the acquisition to go along with that flyover project you were working on. Did that ever get delivered?

And who made the call on sticking with the Fox O&O music?

#16 sfomspphl, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. A3N

A3N LIVE

Why didn't they just stick with the updated cuts of the FOX O&O package? It would been a better option than going with the original cuts of the package.

18. noggi

noggi Newsroom Intern

That's crazy. I sent that logo update in long before I left and I've been at my new station for almost 7 months now...

The former CSD and I talked about it. He had some connections with music composers having commissioned the themes for KFMB. Never really went anywhere after the station takeover.

I think I'm a little more conscious about music decisions based on what I've learned from this site (and all the complaints I've read about decisions I've made in the past here!). You'll find most folks though don't go past the first track on these packages.

Some of these music packages out there to brand stations also haven't kept up with the industry itself. There's still a lot of brass and strings (or in the case of my current station -- synth!) when guitars and drums are a little more palatable now. Hearst did a good job with this when I worked with them and we launched the current station group look.

#18 noggi, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    A3N, SFTV, HulkieD and 1 other person like this.
  19. sfomspphl

sfomspphl Reporter

Thanks for fighting the good fight!