1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KTVU getting a New Set

Discussion in 'Sets & Studios' started by SFTV, Aug 6, 2018.

1. C Block

C Block TVNT Local 1544 Union Boss

Eat News and MorningNews like this.
  2. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

KTVU is back upstairs for The Nine after a year and a few months hiatus broadcasting in the newsroom and this is what we waited for? An updated desk?

Via Pam Cooks InstaSnap

[​IMG]

rkolsen likes this.
  3. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

Looks like they also gutted out all the cubicles surrounding the upstairs set. More roomier for stand ups along with a pod and monitors

4. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

The upstairs may not have had all the facilities they may have needed. I don’t watch them enough so I don’t know the production style or what’s there.

But that desk seems kinda cool.

mark and SFTV like this.
  5. MorningNews

MorningNews News Director

The trend of anchors standing is so stupid.

mark and tjt24 like this.
  6. KentBrockman

KentBrockman I Report, You Decide.

Whoever designed that desk needs an award and a lot of money, very clever incorporating the laser 2 into the design.

Greggo, MidwestTV, mark and 1 other person like this.
  7. C Block

From the noon news. Looks like they moved the studio area into corner with a more permanent-looking floor. It wouldn't surprise me if they also walled it off from what's left of the sales department. Weather looks like it's still being done from the studio downstairs, and I'm guessing it'll stay that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DonDonP1 and rkolsen like this.
  8. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

At least it’s in the safe zone with nothing FOX on the set which will give viewers a sigh of relief

9. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

10. caliwxdude

caliwxdude Primary Anchor

From what's visible in that IG story still frame, it does look like they did quite a bit more work to the upper level area to turn it into a legit studio space. The original set up there with the surfboard desk was pretty temporary, with just some lighting trusses on floor stands and hard flooring placed over the original carpet. And it was surrounded by empty cubicles since Fox laid off most of the support staff that worked up there.

Looks like they ripped out the original drop ceiling and put in an actual lighting grid, probably with some significant electrical/wiring upgrades along the way. Probably doesn't take a year to build, but as with any project timelines likely slipped and they had already moved the surfboard desk into the newsroom, so might as well keep it down there.

New desk looks cool - love the laser 2 incorporated into the front of it.

11. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Also for the desk look at the wire “supports” I doubt they do anything for the desk but I assume they’re there a nod to the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

MidwestTV, mark and sfomspphl like this.
  12. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

It does have hints of the Bay Bridge cables but it also screams KDVR / WFXT 2.0 desk plex design with the laser 2 slapped on lol.

Looks like “The Four” (4pm) graphics are now being used as the title cards for the Noon Newscast monitors.

13. sfomspphl

sfomspphl Reporter

Cool desk - nice they're getting the heritage in there.

Wish they could cover the base of those monitor stands - looks cheap. Otherwise it's a great setup that makes the talent and brand pop without a lot of distraction.

Now bring back the "there's only one two" theme they were trying to bring back before News Corp bought them.

mark likes this.
  14. ABC 7 Denver

ABC 7 Denver News Music Connoisseur

The whole set feels really sparse and temporary. Like they're staging out of an office building during an emergency event.

MorningNews and mark like this.
  15. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

Everyone acting like nothing happened couldn't be farther off the mark... Let's look back on what the old setup looked like...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They've expanded the "studio" dramatically, not only increasing the size but actually gutted and rebuilt it as a proper studio. They raised the ceiling and installed a proper lighting grid, brought in fully robotic cameras, and all the infrastructure that goes with those things. Not a quick, easy, or cheap task.

It also looks like there's a new row of (probably bulletproof) glass between the windows and studio space, similar to how some streetside studios are set up. This also helps muffle outside sound from getting in.

The old set feels a lot more temporary (that second pic has an orange extension cord in the lighting truss... which isn't even acceptable in temporary trussing structures for weddings at the Holiday Inn) than this one does... I'm sure they'll add to it as time goes on.

mark, SFTV, rkolsen and 3 others like this.
  16. caliwxdude

caliwxdude Primary Anchor

Well, it *is* built in former office space, so... once an office space, always an office space. That being said, this looks pretty good for an office space to studio conversion. I don't totally disagree though—the monitor stands look cheap, especially that one in the middle of the two-shot.

Just tuned into the 6:00pm show and they're back in the tiny temporary set. I find it curious they're not using this new upstairs set for everything until the new set in Studio A is complete, but the sun angle might be challenging in the evening hours. The corner of that space is looking roughly southwest, so it could likely be overly backlit at sunset. The 7:00pm KICU show was typically done from this spot, so maybe they'll be in there again later tonight.

#36 caliwxdude, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    SFTV likes this.
  17. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

7pm is back downstairs. I remember those sunsets. They need a sunshade or save the current Golden Gate Bridge backdrop like KNSD used to do by using a city backdrop to cover the window during the evening newscasts

18. MidwestTV

MidwestTV Station Group CEO

lots of barren space

19. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

20. C Block

Unrelated, but they're really making use of their building tonight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]