1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KTVU Branding Changes

Discussion in 'General TV' started by C Block, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

Cox uses him for some of their other stations. They've used him for WSB for the longest time.

2. WXmanTim

WXmanTim Primary Anchor

Iirc, Chapin was the Fox o&o voice for years until he cut back on the number of stations he was servicing.

I know at one point in early 2000s, he switched from KPRC to KRIV, which I think was part of a contract deal with FTS.

3. TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews Primary Anchor

I miss Scott's voice on KDFW.

4. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Scott's semi-retirement a few years ago actually took him off of WSVN and WHDH (who replaced him with Paul Turner). And WSVN is the epitome of tabloid TV.

Oddly, Chapin never did imaging for WJW when it was a Fox O&O (and not since either; Jeff Laurence is now their primary imaging voice, with canned generic liners by Greg O'Neill for newscast opens) but he did imaging for WEWS in the mid 90s.

5. cbs2newengland

Chaplin is back on WHDH, but you can still hear him on NECN on generic promos. I don't know if Cox uses Chaplin for a group like what FTS had done, but it seems like lot of their stations use him.

6. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

KTVU now has the ticker and the time. Watching "Mornings on 2" this morning. The Weather Authority and The Traffic Authority are so FOX O&O, not so KTVU Channel 2.

7. sfomspphl

sfomspphl Reporter

The in-show graphics are an improvement.

But the open and that O&O music package just don't fit the market. It's too New York in your face. And I like it in New York.

Word was they had actually commissioned a new version of the classic Michael Randall "There's only one 2" music before the takeover happened.

415 Media / Lieberman is actually complimentary of it

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-channel-2-graphics-more-fox-less.html

8. Mrtraveler01

I agree that "The Weather Authority" and "The Traffic Authority" are stupid, it's not even a corporate mandate because I know other O&O's don't use that branding.

There are much softer cuts of the music package they could've used too. I do like the logo and the graphics and branding are fine, still it seems like Fox could do more to maintain a balance between the stuff that corporate mandates O&O's use and the KTVU of the past.

9. Hexagonal10

Hexagonal10 Primary Anchor

The Traffic Authority? Weather was a bit much. But The Traffic Authority? Who the **** do they think they are?

1 person likes this.
  10. Mrtraveler01

I'm sure Sal Castaneda (KTVU's traffic reporter) was thinking the same thing when they pitched this idea.

11. Hexagonal10

The Health Authority, The News Authority, The Entertainment Authority, the Sports Authority, Oh crap, are those next?

1 person likes this.
  12. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

The FOX2 Sports Authority... Sponsored by Sports Authority????

5 people like this.
  13. morning traffic

morning traffic Reporter

Of course those brands aren't mandated by Fox, but you need to consider that the news director came from a station with that branding.

And honestly, is there anyone else in this market that could be considered the Traffic Authority aside from Sal Castaneda? No. There isn't.

It's different, you just need to get used to it. KTVU didn't really brand franchises in the past. Weather was weather, sports was sports.

Traffic Authority is a huge step forward from Live Drive Time Traffic.

2 people like this.
  14. Hexagonal10

The Air Authority...
    Oh, and Traffic Authority. I guess you can blame the Traffic Authorities for making it congested. And by Authoritires, I mean Fox.

15. morning traffic

morning traffic Reporter

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Hexagonal10

I've been playing with Google Slides making my own graphics... And I bet what I have is better than the Authority crap.

Attached Files:

17. C Block

C Block TVNT Local 1544 Union Boss

Sal is the authority.

18. jero23

jero23 AM Anchor

Yeah, Cox's habit of sensationalizing crime news with WSB is one of the reasons why Atlanta is perceived to be so crime-ridden when it is no different than any other major US city. Fox could really help KTVU on this regard.

19. Mrtraveler01

Just watching the KTVU stream of the 10 O'Clock News tonight. When did they start doing the live interviews that other Fox O&O's have been doing?

I'm not a huge fan of those.

20. MikePulse

MikePulse AM Anchor