1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KTVU Branding Changes

Discussion in 'General TV' started by C Block, Jan 11, 2015.

1. caliwxdude

caliwxdude Primary Anchor

That's a Fox thing. "KTVU 2 Weather" was technically the previous hero brand (used in the segment stingers), but pretty much everything was promoted as "StormTracker 2," which they're still using alongside "Weather Authority."

1 person likes this.
  2. cbs2newengland

I like that tag especially when you localize it with the market like NY's Weather Authority. The Bay Area's Weather Authority would be a nice touch :)

Yet another little thing that never came to New England (and won't come anytime soon with Cox in town.) :(

3. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Weather Authority? Kinda funny, ever since Fox and AccuWeather banded together KSAZ hasn't used that (and even when they did they really didn't promote it heavily). Then again KSAZ really is a black sheep in the Fox O&O portfolio in so, so many ways...

4. C Block

C Block TVNT Local 1544 Union Boss

"Weather Authority" started showing up as a stinger in the old look. I guess I never realized that was the Fox O&O weather branding, duh. There also seems to be more time for weather. They probably had Bill Martin on air for a lot longer during that Storm-pocalypse last month than they probably would have under previous management.

5. skbl17

skbl17 Ninja Editor

They're still using the old graphics on the set. Not for long.

This is going to take a LOT of getting used to. KTVU was the epitome of "we're Fox, but we're not" over the last couple of decades, but now longtime KTVU viewers wake up on 2/2/15 and see FOX plastered all over KTVU. The angry comments on Facebook are still annoying, but kind of understandable. As for the "Fox News" thing, yeah, it is unbearable how many times people confuse "Fox O&O" with "Fox News Channel", but this popular misconception could actually turn into a real problem at KTVU.

Can't wait to see what the next ratings period will have in store from KTVU. KGO, KNTV, and KPIX are probably excited right now.

And cbs2newengland, I agree with you on Cox stations' sensationalist obsession with crime. WSB would be a lot more bearable if they didn't report on a stabbing, shooting, hit and run, attempted shooting, attempted stabbing, murder, and arson every twenty seconds. Sometimes, I get the gut feeling that WSB's bloody reporting style actually reinforces negative perceptions of Atlanta by making it seem more crime-ridden than it actually is.

1 person likes this.
  6. C Block

Oh, they'll be fine. It's way too easy to assume that average local news viewers actually pay attention or care about station branding. (They don't.) The changes to the actual content of the newscasts have been going on since October. These changes are minor and still don't really take away from all the great reporters and photographers who still are at KTVU. Fox News reporters have been showing up on KTVU for over 15 years now, and most of the straight news reporting from Fox News nationally isn't all that objectionable, so I don't see how droves of viewers are going to tune away because the bug in the corner is different even though the newscast is still otherwise 97% the same that it has always been.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hunter Madison

Hunter Madison Assignment Editor

It is the end of an era at KTVU, seeing those openings made me cringe (though I am glad that they kept the laser 2 logo). To those who say that Fox News and O&O news departments are completely different I would disagree. Several Fox O&Os have aired false reports attacking local LGBT non discriminations ordinances saying that "men can now use womens restrooms" (a topic that Fox News LOVES to pedal out all the time).

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/01/28/houston-fox-affiliate-peddles-transphobic-attac/202303

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/05/29/fox-affiliate-sends-transphobic-reporter-emily/199509

On a completely different subject what is with all the Cox hate here? Yeah their newscasts are OBSESSED with crime but most of their stations are market leaders, they invest in their stations unlike others *cough* sinclair, nexstar *cough*, and run a tight ship and treat their employees well. What's wrong with them?

1 person likes this.
  8. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

I'd rather that sort of thing wasn't aired anywhere, though they can't be dumb enough to try it in San Francisco...

9. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

The funny thing is, self-professed media expert Rich Lieberman completely missed this story, while continuing to obsess over the daily minutia over at KGO 810.
    The last people I would want to read on an issue like that would be Media Matters for America, an equally biased and partisan organization.

2 people like this.
  10. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

KTVU still uses "The 10:00 O'Clock News" for the 10:00 p.m. newscast, thank god.

Watching the "KTVU Channel 2 Morning News" right now and it seems like they took down the time bug and the ticker at the bottom. This is a really sad occasion. Even really sad when you see the KTVU FOX 2 logo with the rest of other O&O's, but be glad that the Circle 2 laser still exists.

Circle 2 and "The 10:00 O'Clock News" are now the only good things that keeps KTVU Channel 2 surviving from the FOX O&O deadbeat. (I'm gonna call it "KTVU Channel 2" because "KTVU FOX 2" just sounds ugly to me.)

11. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Sometimes Fox O&Os can really get conservative.

KSAZ's "Had Enough" segment, which airs nightly on the 9pm news and features Rick D'Amico, is an example of that. I actually wrote a letter to KSAZ over the inappropriately snarky tone of one of the segments.

12. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

Love the look and music. Makes the SF market now have all the O&O looks on every channel.

I wonder if they are going to get a new studio, or a new desk since they now have segments in the mornings. They already had to get rid of the 7pm desk for TV36 (KICU) to make it into the couch interview/multi purpose area and relocate the 7pm news next to the StormTracker 2 podium.

Music choice, looks like they went the WTVT Good Day route with the soft theme for its opens and bumpers. Closing theme is the main Good Day theme with the drums.

Other than that its the same theme on its noon and evening newscasts.

13. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

14. mbhcity

mbhcity News Director

In defense of the correlation between FOX O&O's and FOX News and other Newscorp Publications, one example would be FOX11 LA's critical analysis of California's Hi-Speed Rail plan, a program oft-derided by conservatives. The station has aired numerous editorials and even half-hour specials attacking it.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/19768269/high-speed-rail-revisited

15. C Block

That was always a multipurpose area. The couch piece was always wheeled in on Wednesdays for the taping of Bay Area People, KTVU's Sunday morning community affairs show, then the anchor desk was moved back afterward. At some point, they decided it was better to have the couch area there all the time to be used on the morning show (which is seemingly now all called Mornings on 2 for the entire time).

16. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

I really hope they don't mess around too much with KTVU journalstically. I can adjust to the new brand, graphics, snd music but it would be hard for me to adjust if they turn into a clone of the other Fox O&Os journalstically as well.

Cox is pretty much a station group that does things by the book and Fox is pretty much the opposite of that. I'm curious to see the culture clashes going on in Oakland right now.

And based on recent history *cough* WJZY *cough*, I would stick with what works for KTVU rather than trying to find ways to "improve" it.

1 person likes this.
  17. abric

abric Managing Editor

The only thing that would make me tolerate the new look for KTVU is to use the music that WTVT is using now for the evening. Powerful and strong.

18. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

I agree, that cut sounds very similar to their old music package. Not sure who's idea it was to use the cut the other Fox stations use but it doesn't fit for KTVU.

19. cbs2newengland

My thing was why did KTVU use Scott Chaplin who was well known for tabloid news. Sure he did WNBC and other non tabbie stations, but I thought they had such a zero tolerance, that they would choose someone who does it for other stations.