1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KTVU Branding Changes

Discussion in 'General TV' started by C Block, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

It was just the FOX O&O L3 with a O&O-style ticker.

2. TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews Primary Anchor

I've already uploaded KTVU logo on wikia logos.

[​IMG]

3. caliwxdude

caliwxdude Primary Anchor

KTVU launched the standard Fox O&O look and sound today during the noon newscast. Seems like they're still using the "KTVU" brand on-air (probably as "KTVU Fox 2 News"), and the Complete Bay Area News Coverage tagline remains. I missed the open, but here are a few screengrabs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Unsurprisingly, weather is now branded as "Weather Authority," and updating KTVU's entry in the great What Does Your Station's Copyright Say? encyclopedia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Those weather graphics look so much nicer than what KSAZ is using. They almost look like they're from a future Fox O&O look.

5. William1111

William1111 Health Reporter

6. caliwxdude

Eh, that's just the way I grabbed the screenshots. It'll look fine when you're actually viewing it on a TV.

7. swillh2k2

swillh2k2 AM Anchor

8. C Block

C Block TVNT Local 1544 Union Boss

The copyright was also updated in the old look to reflect the new company. At first, they shoehorned "(c) 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc." into the same small strap that previously showed "(c) 2014 KTVU, Inc." to the point that it was illegible. That was changed a few weeks ago...

I think this new look is fine. Yes, it's sad to see another station lose an increasingly rare individualized look for itself, and I'll probably miss the music the most, though the change to the O&O look was inevitable, and it was a change that could have turned out much, much worse.

9. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

People were ignorant about comparing KTVU to Fox News when they were owned by Cox, it'll just be worse now.

As far as the new look, it will definately take some time to get used to. After years of seeing KTVU hardly using the "Fox" brand, it feels wierd seeing the "laser 2" next to a big "Fox" logo. It's very flashy compared to its competitors in that market.

My concern is how FTSG will manage the news department. Not so much political bias as in the crazy crackpot experiments that Abernathy has been conducting at their other O&O's. The O&O's I've seen can tend to be sensationalist and hopefully they keep sticking with what works at KTVU instead of trying to find ways to "improve" it.

10. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

The weather map is leftover from their old package.

11. William1111

William1111 Health Reporter

Yeah actually, you're right; I viewed their livestream, it does look much better, there's still something bugging my OCD about it. Eh, whatever, i'm glad they kept the circle lazer 2.

Thank you. I can't even think how many times I've corrected people when they call an O&O newscast "Fox News"

I'm actually glad they chose the O&O music instead of something else *cough*WJZY "Hey Hey Carolinas"*cough*

Also, shouldn't this discussion be on the "Graphics" section of the forum?

12. cbs2newengland

a different entity technically means that the O&Os and FNC are owned by two different companies, I think it's important to stress its a seperate operation within the big 21CF

13. cbs2newengland

I'd like to see the calls kept as a news brand. I'd like to see the bug alternate the Fox logo to the KTVU logo. It give it some stand out material

OTTH, I think a serious problem that plagues KTVU is how cold hearted their anchors are. There was one noon close last year where i saw a girl (don't know her name) close out and I could see she has personality that was being held back by the Cox management. I think an improvement to KTVU is to get their news personnel engaged in their market. The GM came from Dedham, and this is how Fox 25 had some fanfare. Now WFXT is KTVU East and it's painful to watch because of the robots taking over the anchor desk. That's all I'll say on that station

14. caliwxdude

Probably, but someone started this topic in General TV and I didn't want to create yet another KTVU thread so I thought I'd keep it here.

Mods, feel free to move this thread.

15. Andrew2016

Andrew2016 Assignment Editor

They retained the call letters they are now calling it "KTVU FOX 2 News". Their current studio/set doesn't match the new graphics yet. The weather graphics is a mix of old and new. Overall, I do like the new graphics

16. Ntropolis

Ntropolis News Director

This is so sad

Attached Files:

17. cbs2newengland

One of the reporters (don't know his name) signed off with "KTVU Fox 2 News"

18. C Block

C Block TVNT Local 1544 Union Boss

Those of you who have been watching KTVU over the last few months will have noticed that Fox management has already tinkered with the newscasts. One of the bigger changes in my opinion is how reporters sign off. Before, whether they were live or taped, they would sign off themselves in their tag ("reporting in xx, xx KTVU Ch. 2 News") and the anchor in the studio would go straight to the next story. I think this looked really clean, though some people interpreted that as being cold. Now, because apparently this is a Fox O&O thing, reporters don't include a sign off, supposedly because the package can then be easily recycled on another station, and also because it forces the anchors to sign off for them with the chance for more unscripted moments, or, yes, "happy talk." They also seem to be trying to mold the morning show away from the same repeat of news, weather, and traffic to more feature segments as is seen on a lot of Good Day formats. Their social media outlets also have been using a lot of video and other stunts to show off the personalities of Dave Clark and Tori Campbell — good luck with that one.

One of the better changes the new Fox management has made, however, is to de-emphasize crime. Especially under the last news director, KTVU was very crime heavy. There's now a lot more stories about human interest and local government than merely people getting shot in the leg in Oakland, shot in the arm in Richmond, stabbed in the Bayview, etc. So it's really not all bad, and the branding changes are still really minor compared to everything else.

1 person likes this.
  19. NewsMaster

NewsMaster News Director

Just saw the 6:00 open. They're using the WNYW version. Pretty nice. Scott Chapin is still the VO.

20. cbs2newengland

I saw the "Weather Authority" during the weather block - is that new post swap or was that used before as a Cox O&O?