1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KSWB on Temp Set, Refresh or New Set Underway

Discussion in 'Sets & Studios' started by n925tv, Dec 31, 2017.

1. n925tv

n925tv AM Anchor

The couch set is located in a small corner where the former "TV wall stand up area" was for reporters. If you're familiar with the layout of the building, the door to the current newsroom is also there, kinda looks tacky right next to the nice couch set but can't really do anything about that. I also believe in the WB and 2008 era before they moved the newsroom, that was the location of the assignment desk. All of the edit bays are still intact, they added some nice "mood lighting" inside of them to compliment the set (still used for storage tho). The former ND's office is still being used as the weather office, they moved their touchscreen monitor to the corner where the entrance to the office is, between the stairs and the office door. I will say once again I am very pleased to see they used every square inch of studio space they had for this set. The barn doors do look awkward however, I will agree.

It would be also nice for them to do some upstairs balcony shots, maybe with a reporter doing a stand up and you can see the set downstairs. I know the lighting grid is in the way in most locations, but I'm sure they could make it work.

#41 n925tv, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    SFTV likes this.
  2. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

They use the upstairs set / temporary set when they interview guests (like you see on CNN or MSNBC) with the 4x4 monitor behind them as a backdrop since the old set was only able to sit 2 anchors and the tacky side desk on the side opposite from the weather desk.

I agree though, like use the jib camera and pan upstairs like how XETV used to go from the news desk to the upstairs newsroom
    Window.

3. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

I love it. It’s a great local take on the CBS This Morning studio with all the local touches such as the surfboards and how the side tables are surfboard shaped. They managed to work around the columns well.

A few questions: How many local stations regularly use a jib for camera shots? I can only think of WSVN and WHDH. How many cameras are installed? Can the side tables be removed for multiple people appear in one area? The control room is behind the frosted glass right? I would have replaced the frosted glass. And who designed this beauty?

Additionally, I am surprised CBS stations never took the route of a set in the round. The TEGNA sets have the ability with their guitar pick desks but how often do they really change it up.

4. FiveNews

FiveNews Legacy Anchor

Just waiting for someone to hijack this tread and make it about WNYW. Someone will want a set like KSWBs installed in NYC...because, you know, WNYW has the oldest set in the NYC market.

5. caliwxdude

caliwxdude Primary Anchor

I don't remember any signage on the old set, or on the set before that... there's more than enough display real estate on the set to where they don't need it.

6. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

....or KUSI lol

WB only had signage on the yellow wall to the side of the set and a Glass marquee above the desk.

FOX 5 had a Cardboard cut out on the wall during the 2008-2012 set and on all the monitors.

The previous last set didn’t have any logos, they only emphasized on the graphics duratrans on the desks.

FiveNews likes this.
  7. n925tv

n925tv AM Anchor

KSWB has 6 cameras, 1 jib, and 1 stedicam downstairs, plus 1 camera upstairs on the 4x4 set. I don't believe the side glass table (surfboards) can be removed since they're built into the carpet/floor, but they are a separate piece from the main desk itself so there's a possibility. Control room is located behind the frosted glass yes, and this set is yet another BDI masterpiece.

rkolsen likes this.
  8. n925tv

n925tv AM Anchor

KSWB has been using their old (2013 era) main anchor desk for Election Coverage at Golden Hall in Downtown San Diego tonight. They also brought out the 2013 era set panels, that were briefly used in their couch setup in front of the control room. Rather interesting they busted out both of these elements for tonight, let alone kept them in storage all this time.
    Capture.JPG

9. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

I noticed some San Diego stations have elaborate setups. Is there one watch party for each party?

SFTV likes this.
  10. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

Yeah it has been a tradition.

I’ve never participated in it when i was still living down there, but it’s pretty neat how they open up a hall for the media to set up and open to the public.

11. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

I imagine it’s much easier to set up and cover then. Here we have a bunch of reporters all over the place.

12. SFTV

SFTV AM Anchor

Nice to see KNTV sent Mark Matthews to San Diego (which was his old stomping grounds when he worked at KGTV before moving to The Bay) for John Cox who conceded in the race for Governor.

Before, I remember the O&O groups would all collaborate, but with the changing technology and things happening so fast, it’s hard to be reporting for a LA station trying to report in your town while also checking in with a sister station up north trying to update as well.