1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KFMB Slow Death Thread

Discussion in 'General TV' started by Eat News, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rv65

rv65 AM Anchor

KZTC-LD on rabbitears has a channel that says 7.1 (MyTV) but I don't have an OTA antenna to check it as I primarily use SlingTV and streaming.

2. TVnews

TVnews Assignment Editor

Chopper is usually owned/operated by a third party with one station paying for a package that includes a traffic reporter. Might open the door for another station to use Jen.

3. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

4. Payton39

Payton39 Newsroom Intern

Is this like the defacto San Diego catch all thread? I noticed Sheena Parveen joining NBC 7 weather. Anybody know about her. Seems young.

ETA: nm. Worked in Tampa Bay, Phila., and recently DC.

5. NotInTV

NotInTV Weekend Anchor

Speaking of weather, KFMB still does not have a primary Meteorologist after Matt Baylow's retirement in June. Shawn Styles has been doing the weather at 5, 6:30, 7, 10, & 11 for 6 days a week. Brandon Lewis has been filling in on Saturdays.

6. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Sure seems like it. Maybe we need a San Diego board.

SFTV likes this.
  7. mrschimpf

mrschimpf News Director

Blame a few incidents, including a dumb one in Kentucky where some sportswear mall shop in Bowling Green had an 'emergency clearout sale' of Wildcats gear that somehow, WNKY's ad production department said using EAS tones are OK (the FCC asking them for a 'voluntary contribution to the United States Treasury' overruled that). Then there's been a few issues where 'for fun' EAS tones have collapsed entire cable/U-verse headends into chaose. This has details about some of those incidents, details about the WNKY incident, and from the FCC itself; technically it isn't illegal to just play the EAS tones for the fun of it, but the FCC will put the incident in your station's permanent record and ask for 'voluntary contributions' if you do so.

8. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

It’s anything similar on almost any broadcast and I believe cable channels for fear of it getting picked up. Like the Purge movies commercials don’t broadcast any of the squelches or fake sounds.

Edit: The incident I’m thinking of was actually a fine given to Viacom, ESPN and movie studio NBCUniversal were fined for airing a similar tone on cable for the movie Olympus has fallen. Appears it applies to cable channels as well for fear of crying wolf. TBS was also fined $25,000 for a mock tone in a Conan promo. Based on this I’d assume that premium movie channels would have to change the tone.

#248 rkolsen, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM
    mrschimpf likes this.