1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

KABC 7 Eyewitness News reporter layoffs

Discussion in 'Los Angeles News' started by bogusabc7breakingnews, May 10, 2018.

1. bogusabc7breakingnews

from ftvlive:

According to FTVLive sources, the 6 on-air people involved in the meeting were, Melissa Macbride (15-year permalancer), Leanne Suter (20-year permalancer), Amy Powell (decade-plus permalancer), Darsha Philips (decade-plus permalancer), Chelsea Edwards (2-year permalancer), and Jade Hernandez (1 year permalancer).

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/10/ax-swings-at-kabc

2. John2016

John2016 Assignment Editor

Why would KABC be laying reporters off? They have so many hours of news. I would not be surprise if some of these reporters show up on other stations as freelancers.

3. H4UL4U

H4UL4U VP of Media Content

Staff retirements in non-news positions are either not being filled or being filled by freelancers.

4. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

What’s interesting is that the helicopters now can only be launched with either the ND or Assistant ND’s approval. That may hamper them in breaking news or car chases. When KNBC got their second bird KABC post a picture of three of theirs. I’m not sure if they were all full time birds like KNBC’s Alpha and Bravo or on reserve. I imagine those were cut.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/11/more-cuts-at-abc-oo

5. CalItalian2

CalItalian2 AM Anchor

#5 CalItalian2, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    rkolsen likes this.
  6. John2016

John2016 Assignment Editor

Why would the station be letting reporters go when they have so many hours of news on the air? It would make more sense if they hired more reporters. I would not be surprised if these reporters that were let go start appearing on other stations within the next couple of months.

7. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

That helicopter mandate will last about 1 week.

However...
    15 years as a permalancer is way too long to be abused. At that juncture one is just being used.

What are these freelancers thinking? How many of these freelancers in LA have just faded away in the last few years?

Ego plays a huge role in this also.

"My life will suck if i'm not on TV in LA."

#eyewitnessego

8. FiveNews

FiveNews Legacy Anchor

I agree with Eat News. KABC and KTLA usually own breaking news in Southern California. KABC thrives on calling everything "Breaking News" and tossing to Air 7 HD. This puts the Eyewitness in Eyewitness News. When other stations are already over a chase, and Air 7 HD is just getting launched, they will see the need to end the directive ASAP.

PNart2 and rkolsen like this.
  9. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

Looks like KABC is missing out on a car chase. KNBC is live and supposedly first.

10. Eat News

Well RKO I said "one week" before the mandate was stricken...

7 whole days bubba!

That has to be driving the KABC assignment desk just insane.

Even worse...
    The other newsrooms in LA are seeing a bold message from KABC.

"If Ch-7 can cut the chopper hours...then you can too."

Charge up the drone boys...it's gonna be a long summer.

#10 Eat News, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    mposeymil likes this.
  11. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

KNBC I believe was the only one.

12. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

Do LA stations only have one Assistant News Director in addition to the main one? I’m asking given the large staffs and especially the amount of news. I assume if they just have one they work 9-5 and am betting no one on the assignment desk would want to bother them at night.

13. MetroCity

MetroCity Haver of Worst Nightmares & Hater of Tired Clichés

Yes. One Assistant News Director per station.

Every place I’ve ever worked has imposed the helicopter ban at one time or another. The memos and edicts sound frightening and final, but there is usually some unwritten leeway.

Generally, in the evening, the night EP is expected to call the ND or AND for chopper permission. But if there are repeated no answers or calls aren’t returned, the night EP usually has the discretion to launch the chopper, provided they can defend it the next day.

The chopper rule is not intended to strangle breaking news coverage. It is intended to cut down on unnecessary discretionary use, and to stop its use as a coverage crutch. It’s meant to cut back on using the helicopter to show mall parking lots on heavy shopping days, an everyday fire in a one family house, the proposed location of a freeway off ramp, etc.. But no (sane) manager expects the desk to hesitate launching the helicopter if a full school bus overturns on a highway, a fireworks factory explodes, or an airplane ditches in the river. A car chase? It probably depends on where and why. A chase that starts after car runs a red light and doesn’t stop? Probably not. A chase that involves a suspect in a triple murder at a big box store? Yeah, that gets the chopper.

Helicopter rules are meant to cut down on using aerials for wallpaper video. Remember that most helicopter lease agreements call for a station to pay for a minimum number of hours every month or quarter, whether they use them or not. The helicopter will always be sent on big breaking stories. But it was never meant for a 20 second VO before weather. And yes, like most radical edicts, the rules generally start to ease after a week or two. The idea is to stop making helicopter use an automatic knee-jerk reaction.

C Block, mposeymil, rkolsen and 3 others like this.
  14. Eat News

My biggest bitch was when we would already be airborne with our daily minimum hours...but breaking news would push us over our limit because the show producer wants one more hit on some lame static cold scene that was actually "breaking news" 2 hours ago...

You try orbiting the same stupid cold house fire over....and over....and over.

We would have to "zoom in...and zoom out"...just to stay awake.

15. n925tv

n925tv AM Anchor

Well there's a pursuit going on right now in the Inland Empire, it's been going on for the past 20 minutes or so. KTTV, KCBS/KCAL, KTLA, and KNBC are all overhead and have been overhead for the past while, with KTTV's SkyFox being the first on the scene. KTTV also is providing KCBS/KCAL's feed this morning.

Meanwhile KABC's Air 7 HD... once again dead last. At least 10-15 minutes out of a pursuit that has been going on for a total of 35+ minutes.

But... but the SkyMap 7 they have!!

Capture.JPG

16. CalItalian2

CalItalian2 AM Anchor

KTLA does not have it. And only KCAL not KCBS.

17. n925tv

n925tv AM Anchor

My bad, it is on the CBS LA Facebook page though. Regardless, very poor performance for a normally "First Exclusive" KABC.

KTLA live right now 12:42 PM.
    KABC still at least 5 - 10 minutes out as of 12:42.

Capture.JPG

18. CalItalian2

CalItalian2 AM Anchor

KTLA was last to go on after a commercial break in Crime Watch Daily after I posted. I am in Los Angeles so I'm watching over the air tv.

19. CalItalian2

CalItalian2 AM Anchor

KABC finally up on the app & FB @ 12:48 pm. But not over the air.

20. CalItalian2

CalItalian2 AM Anchor

KCAL & KTTV are running this chase commercial free. KTLA is running spots. Days Of Our Lives trumped the police chase for KNBC so they dumped out over the air at 1 but it's still on their app & website. KABC is still only on their website, app & FB.