ITV to buy UTV Media (N. Ireland & Republic)

Discussion in 'International News' started by rkolsen, Oct 19, 2015.

1. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

UTV Media is selling its television stations, in Northern Ireland and in the Republic of Ireland, to ITV Plc. for £100m. UTV currently operates the channel three franchise for Northern Ireland and recently launched a station in the Republic of Ireland in January. The deal needs approval from the UK and Irish regulators.

UTV Media will retain their group of radio stations which make 60% of their current profit.

Once the deal goes through ITV Plc. will operate the ITV franchises in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. ITV says there are no current plans to rebrand UTV.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34508529

2. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

Now it's only a matter of time before STV sells their franchises (the former Scottish and Grampian) to ITV plc too...

3. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

In fact, STV was praised for being the only independent franchise left from ITV. Plus, STV also has STV Glasgow and STV Edinburgh, two of STV's local channels.

But what's interesting about this story is that it won't become ITV Northern Ireland like the other regions. Also, it makes sense for UTV Media to rebrand at a later date because it can't remain UTV Media without a TV property. I know this is still developing and we'll see how this goes from here...

4. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

I'm just hoping they'll retain the in-vision continuity- UTV is the last outpost of the time-honored tradition, everyone else dropped it in the 80s and 90s.

5. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

I'm actually surprised by this. It's the end of an era, but they seem like they're committing to (at least for now) keep some of UTV's visual identity separate.

6. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Thought I'd bump this thread as there's been an update. ITV has sold UTV Ireland to John Malone's (who owns Liberty Media and the majority of Starz!) Virgin Media for $11.1 million. Virgin Media bought UTV Ireland's fellow OTA competitor TV3 last year. The deal includes the rights to ITV produced shows for 10 years.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/global/john-malone-virgin-irish-broadcaster-utv-1201811849/

UTV, the ITV franchise in Northern Ireland, remains under control of ITV.

7. WSVNFan

WSVNFan Station Group CEO

Mentioned in "International Out and About"