1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Michael: Coverage/Operations

Discussion in 'General TV' started by GoldenShine9, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Weeters

Weeters Director of Operations
    Administrator

I highly doubt there's a complete 100% failure of all communications systems anywhere in the area affected. Cellular backpacks kept working through Harvey, not many reasons they wouldn't keep working here.

2. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

Yes, it's a lot easier for cellular as there are more towers and building rooftops. They're usually connected via fiber line or satellite backup and have generators on standby.

Also if a station has a satellite truck they could feed the packages that way.

3. tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard Assistant VP of Aspect Ratio Correction

4. T.L. Hughes

T.L. Hughes News Director

I assume WPGX got knocked off the air as well... because if WMBB, WECP and WJHG were knocked offline due to power failures and transmitter tower collapses, WPGX's transmitter probably got thrashed, too. There were also other radio stations in Panama City whose operational statuses weren't mentioned in the Radio Insight article.

5. Payton39

Payton39 Newsroom Intern

I'm watching WECP (CBS 18) on WJHG (NBC 7) Panama City/eastern panhandle. I had watched this station a few months ago while researching Highway 30A, a big tourist area in that DMA. New graphics for both 7 and 18. New staff, too? Anybody live in the eastern panhandle? It's actually pretty good to watch.
    https://www.wjhg.com/livestream3

6. tyrannical bastard

WJHG is now streaming live from their studio on Facebook.

WMBB and WDHN are still off the air and WMBB may be unable to use their facility on Harrison Avenue

I don't know the status of the stations' transmitters, but the widespread power outages and crippled facilities may have made getting a signal to the transmitter impossible. At least with WPGX, they have limited technical facilities in Panama City now (they used to be across from WMBB, but now only has a sales office on 23rd Street). it would make sense to relay WTXL or or even WSFA is to provide any broadcasting for the Panhandle residents.

As for WECP, it's basically carved out of WJHG and all their resources. They do a noon and 5:30 show, and leave the rest to WJHG on their main channel.

7. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

I would think WMBB will work out of WKRG until things are settled? I'm not sure if WDHN has a big enough studio to manage two stations, and finding a temporary place in Panama City will be nearly impossible.

It does seem WJHG's damage is not catastrophic and their studio is workable, even if they don't have a transmitter. I think WTVY is back on though (they were only off for a couple hours I believe?). I'm sure Gray is sending more people to help them though.

8. GoldenShine9

WMBB seems to be working outside their station, with the help of WFLA, WKRG and WDHN.

9. tyrannical bastard

They were able to put together a makeshift newscast outside their building. The backdrop was metal roofing that was torn off from the First Baptist Church complex that completely surrounds their station.
    https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/fl...ng-damage-during-hurricane-michael/1517939437

Meanwhile, over at WJHG, crews from their station were able to make it across the bridge into Panama City (since they're based in PCB). You have to feel for them since they (station employees) have literally been cut off from the outside world and even their colleagues trying to cover this disaster. Needless to say, the crew was overcome seeing the damage in the city itself firsthand.
    https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/WJHG-tours-damage-in-Panama-City-496975951.html

Even Megan Gannon, formerly of WMBB (and now with WPMI in Mobile) recalled her upbringing in Port St. Joe and was able to see the damage in her hometown through the coverage.
    https://mynbc15.com/news/local/nbc-15s-megan-gannon-reacts-to-hometown-storm-devastation

Aside from the eastern part of the beach, (mainly the Thomas Drive area), PCB's damage is minimal as you head westward. The Pier Park area is as if nothing happened. It was Panama City itself, Lynn Haven, going eastward to Mexico Beach & Port St. Joe that got decimated.

#49 tyrannical bastard, Oct 12, 2018 at 2:28 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:35 AM
  10. TheMassMediaGeek

TheMassMediaGeek Lives in a area that will experience Michael

I’m OK guys, I rode out the storm, power flickered a bit. I believe Michael was worse than Florence.

11. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

Glad your okay.

12. GoldenShine9

That probably explains why the damage at WJHG was not catastrophic in comparison. It wasn't nearly as bad in PCB as they missed the eyewall, and as long as the area isn't off-limits, they should be able to work out of their studio. I'm not aware of anyone from other Gray stations being brought in there though (they'd have to come from far away since WTVY and WCTV are likely very busy with their own viewing areas), but I could be wrong. I know Nexstar has brought quite a few to WMBB. I know during Florence, all the affected companies brought in a lot of staff to stations in the Carolinas from all over the country.

13. tyrannical bastard

WMBB is reporting that WDHN is back on the air and is able to produce their own newscasts.

Is anyone else back on the air yet in Panama City? I thought I heard that WMBB was relaying WFLA, but it's probably only the special feed that is being produced out of Tampa that's being shown on WMBB's website.

Of greater significance, it may be a while before the Panama City area has power restored. And if WMBB's damage is as severe as it sounds, they may take longer getting back on the air. From what it looks like, the western half of the beach may be up and running with power today and then the eastern half could be back on by Monday if the damage isn't that severe.

14. Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01 Managing Editor

15. tyrannical bastard

Hopefully someone is able to absorb these stations before the licenses lapse....

Ironically, this was posted on one of their (now former) stations...
    [​IMG]

Adding to the fact that WPFM 107.9 was already slated to be sold to the Educational Media Foundation, means that there was probably trouble even before the storm hit...

16. GoldenShine9

Is there an old retail store or something in PCB that is empty right now? WMBB could look into a temporary facility there.

17. tyrannical bastard

It appears that WMBB is back on the air, and they say they may be able to resume some operations in their building tomorrow.
    Probably in the long term, a move may be in the cards, but it looks like they are close to being able to resume semi-normal operations at their current facility.

As for relocating, many other businesses are in the same boat, or even worse, have to move or rebuild. Some may leave the market, and others may choose to enter it.

18. blizzard59

blizzard59 Assignment Editor

WIAT, WFLA, WKRG, and WSAV all have their satellite trucks in the Panama City area to help produce WMBB's makeshift newscasts (WMBB has no satellite truck of their own). KARK and KLFY might have their satellite trucks there too; if not, Nexstar nevertheless has people from those stations assisting WMBB. WFLA is using their NBC News Channel uplink to feed WMBB's over-the-air transmitter.

Here's a video showing some of the damage inside the WMBB building.

19. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

How many satellite trucks do most stations have?

20. tyrannical bastard

WMBB is back in their studio!

EDIT:. They are still providing WFLA coverage as well. Panama City coverage is probably limited due to sat time and generator power.

#60 tyrannical bastard, Oct 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 5:15 PM