1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'General TV' started by GoldenShine9, Sep 11, 2018.

1. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group
    Forum Moderator

Also I was thinking CBS needs to hire a network meteorologist whether it be Lonnie Quinn or someone else. They can do the weather reports during CBS This Morning - without the happy talk just a straight forecast. They see, to rely too much on affiliates for weather reports and during severe weather. Contrast that to NBC and ABC who have three meteorologists on hand at any time plus the affiliates to supplement them. CBS has zero and there’s increasing weather forecasts in their newscasts and often times the ones on CBS TM are recorded. Likely it’s a money saving measure but if they don’t elevate the meteorologists to a “personality” they probably could keep costs down compared to an Al Roker or Ginger Zee.

Also does The Weather Channel still have a content share (maybe not resource/personality share) agreement with NBC? Their animations have been appearing on NBC.

onthesea likes this.
  2. HardNewsCLT

HardNewsCLT Assignment Editor

WSOC sent several crews to the coast. They've also been starting their newscasts early, and interrupting programming for news conferences. I haven't seen any sharing of resources aside from their airing of a CNN piece.

3. ColDayNews

ColDayNews Managing Editor

I wouldn’t be too opposed to CBS having a rotating meteorologist from their bigger affiliates / O&Os for CTM (i.e. WBNS, WGCL, WKMG, WTTV, etc. aren’t owned by CBS but they’re some of the network’s biggest affiliates)

4. appleachian

appleachian Health Reporter

WCTI and WYDO are both off the completely air now.

5. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

I'm hoping that Byron Allen will soon set up a content sharing agreement with @Eat News and the KBEX Weather Sharks.

In all seriousness, though, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a content sharing agreement in place between TWC and NBC et al.

rkolsen likes this.
  6. T.L. Hughes

T.L. Hughes News Director

Looking at WCTI's website, they're also using WPDE to provide coverage on its livestream page under the "WCTI LIVE Event" entry.

7. AaronQ

AaronQ News Director

Well here's some images of the flood at WCTI via their Twitter page.

PelicanGuy likes this.
  8. J1975am

J1975am Weekend Anchor

Doesn't seem like a lot of floodwater, although to be fair (from checking on Google Maps), WCTI is further away from water than KHOU was when their old studios flooded during Harvey....

9. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

That's likely repairable, although I'm sure they will make contingency plans for the future. Not the catastrophic damage KHOU sustained.

10. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

This has got to be one of the most irresponsible things I have seen yet.

If your weather guy gets electrocuted because he waited until the last minute to evacuate.,your station is going to have a huge lawsuit to deal with.

"But it's his job to stay behind " they would say...

Bull Sh$#!

It's his/her job to report on the progress and danger associated with the storm....in a responsible and safe way. That's how you serve your viewers...By staying on the air!

From a safe location!

Why would you place all your tools and personal in a place where they can suffer harm or serious damage to the equipment that they must use to REPORT.

I would not trust the coverage from any station that didn't plan ahead for this stuff. That station that has a secondary emergency studio for this stuff is station I would trust.

We have seen the "stunts" and they are no longer sexy, and I'm amazed that the "risk management" folks from corporate would allow some 22 year old Muffy to lash herself to a fence post...slip her mic into a ziploc bag...and don her little ball cap and play in the wind and rain, sewage, live wires, gators, snakes, hazmat and flying objects.

Can you defend your station group if you get hauled into court on the wrongful death suit?
    Reporters and field crews DO NOT sign waivers or discharge the employer from liability in the event of death or injury while covering most news stories.

But in the end...

Most station groups are too cheap to care.
    And if somebody dies then too bad...it's the cost of doing business.

The station's insurance will cover it anyway.

Mira,
    You can use remote unmanned locked down cams, viewer cams, live webcams and all other sorts of safe video sources. keep you precious weather anchors dry and happy with operating equipment in a pre planned safe location.

Show your viewers that your station gives a shit about your safety and it's employees safety and it's obligation to report the news safely and accurately in times of disaster.

Thank You,
    A Public Service Message from your Friends at KBEX-TV.

#70 Eat News, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Journalist, Myron Falwell and rkolsen like this.
  11. appleachian

To be fair, WCTI has been there since the 60s and has never flooded before. This is a historic game changing flood event for New Bern.

I agree that the meteorologists should have left with everyone else, but they didn’t have a plan because they didn’t expect to need one. This isn’t a KHOU situation where it’s happened several times before.

12. Eat News

I wouldn't use that argument with a jury...

They had plenty of warning.
    And they are under no obligation to report from an unsafe area.

They are in a known hurricane area and hurricanes bring flooding.

It's universally accepted that there was danger to all...not just reporters.
    Not having a plan is not a defense. They were told it was dangerous...and they told viewers it was dangerous.

"Not planning" or "it never happened in the past" will get you laughed out of court .

13. appleachian

That gets filed under “shit happens” then. WNCT still has their old 500’ transmitter stick behind the studio. Do they need to evacuate? The hurricane could blow it down onto the building. It hasn’t happened before, but it COULD happen.

14. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

Despite a lot of jokes you make this is a good point. Everyone should have been evacuated to the remote studio and hopefully they can remotely control transmission equipment to switch live feeds and send them down the line to the emergency center. I saw during CBS in one of their live and drive trucks the meteorologist in the back seat was connected to the WSI computer back at CBS (or wherever) via VPN.

15. rkolsen

Forum Moderator

That depends. Those towers are built to withstand storms. I’m sure they have engineers routinely checking on it and making sure it’s still secure with all the guy wires in place and seeing if anything moving abnormally.

PelicanGuy likes this.
  16. appleachian

I was being facetious.

My point is that they don’t need a plan any more than CTI thought they needed one.

rkolsen likes this.
  17. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

Yes, it was a one-in-a-lifetime flood. But still. You should be leaving with everyone else, especially when the station building is being compromised in multiple ways. It puts your life is in imminent danger either due to the risk of electrocution, drowning, or whatever. There is no reason to stay.

For all the times legendary Dick Goddard said "turn around, don't drown," he famously nearly drowned in a freak rainstorm that caused his car to be submerged. And that was a May thunderstorm in the midwest, not a Cat 1 hurricane.

In this day and age, with cloud data storage and redundant backups on top of redundant backups AND ESPECIALLY since they are owned by the largest TV broadcast chain by volume in the US... they could easily have reassembled WCTI's met team at a secure location wherever and not miss a beat.

Spectrum27, news89 and rkolsen like this.
  18. appleachian

I agree that the mets should have left with everyone else.

I’m a bit dumbfounded that they have not found a way back on air. They have two channels - WCTI 12 and WYDO 14 - and last time I checked neither were even broadcasting a signal. Maybe their generator at the tx failed. Both come from the same site.

Beyond that, it seems like Sinclair could have done better than simulcasting news from Myrtle Beach. WPDE did not talk about ENC much at all. I expected to see WCYB’s meteorologists doing weather for our area and getting sent out WCTI’s tx.

19. Eat News

Sometime during events like this engineers will shut down a transmitter on purpose...to prevent more damage to the gear.
    They will wait out the storm.

Stations are under no obligation to stay on the air if it means damage to equipment or risk of employees lives.

You do your best to serve as you can.

TV stations should always have plans to simulcast or even camp out at as many local radio stations as possible. Your viewers will be on the radio....for weeks after also.
    Formal or informal arrangements are fi9ne, but you NEED to be on the radio more than on TV since only about .2% of your viewers will even be able to see you since most don't use antennas or have generators for true OTA.

rkolsen and Myron Falwell like this.
  20. PelicanGuy

PelicanGuy Primary Anchor

Too bad about WCTI/WYDO. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

With that said, I haven't watched a lick of network coverage on Florence. I've been checking out a bunch of local stations online and via DirecTV. Most of the local stations in the affected area are doing a pretty good job with their coverage, IMO. So far, my favorites have been WWAY, WTVD and WNCT.