Greta Van Susteren resigns from Fox News, effective immediately

Discussion in 'US Cable News' started by swillh2k2, Sep 6, 2016.

1. swillh2k2

swillh2k2 AM Anchor

2. atlnews2

atlnews2 Managing Editor

She seemed like an Ailes loyalist. so I guess it's either Fox cleaning house, or the loyalists leaving

3. WAVY 10 Fan

WAVY 10 Fan News Director

4. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

That it happened within minutes of Fox announcing the settlement agreement with Gretchen Carlson? Something's up, big time.
    [​IMG]

5. ns8401

ns8401 Station Group CEO

Maybe there's a place for her at CNN...

6. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

The transformation begins...

I wonder what Brit Hume's "On the Record" will be like. Never watched Van Susteren's.

7. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Even if he's been "named anchor", 73 year-old Brit Hume can't possibly be who they want long-term.

8. Myron Falwell

This is a simple Band-Aid until the REAL bloodbath occurs on November 9.

Hannity, O'Reilly, Jeanne Pirro, Greg Gutfeld, Stacey Dash and Eric Bolling have to realize that their days are all numbered at Fox... or maybe they all want to be a part of the ridiculously over-hyped "TrumpTV" vaporware... or both.

9. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Why a bloodbath for a network that makes tons of money? FOX has made more money off Obama and there is no reason to think they would lose money if Clinton wins.
    Granted there is a new dynamic, but if one removes the "politics" of FOX and concentrates only on the business side you find a very viable network still.

Don't sell your stock just yet.

mposeymil and 24994J like this.
  10. ColDayNews

ColDayNews Weekend Anchor

FNC should revive Fox Report w/ Shepard Smith in that timeslot, IMO.

11. NateinFLA

NateinFLA News Director

Perhaps HLN...

12. nynewslover

nynewslover Primary Anchor

I don't really understand why people are expecting such dramatic changes.. Maybe a few here or there but I don't think the entire line up is going to change.. Yes O'Rielly will likely retire sometime within the next 6 or 7 years if not sooner.. But honestly I think they'll do everything they can to keep what they currently have for as long as they can.. And to be honest I expect to see a lot more of Megyn Kelly.. She will be the face of the network.

13. atlnews2

atlnews2 Managing Editor

FNC's Howard Kurtz (take it with a grain of salt) is portraying the thing as Gretta leaving because of stalled contract negotiations

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ews-hume-tapped-as-temporary-replacement.html

Greta has also released a statement

NY Mag's Gab Sherman also has an article up with a little tidbit on the Greta situation

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/09/fox-settles-with-carlson-then-van-susteren-quits.html

" But a source close to Van Susteren disputed this, telling me Van Susteren left because “she is troubled by the culture” Ailes built. On September 1, Van Susteren notified Fox that she was exercising a clause in her contract that allows her to leave Fox if Ailes is no longer running the channel. Over the summer, Van Susteren took flak for casting doubt on Carlson’s claims. The source says Van Susteren did not know about Ailes’s alleged harassment at that point. "

#13 atlnews2, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  14. atlnews2

atlnews2 Managing Editor

The only changes I expect are O'Rielly retiring in the near future and maybe Hannity being shown the door when his contract expires. Everything else will probably be the same in terms of content and on air narrative.

15. Myron Falwell

It goes back to the old saying, "know your close." Despite his rapidly graying demos, O'Reilly - if he was to retire after the election - would be going out on top.

There are too many wild cards out there right now. The team of Abernathy and Shine are there to keep status quo until November, and it's highly unlikely that either one of them will stay in place for long (which may have already been agreed to, we just don't know). That also extends to the aforementioned air talent.

I would also emphasize that Fox News won't be going away, but may undergo an overhaul not dissimilar to MSNBC's revamp. But that's my supposition ATM.

BINGO.

16. Eat News

That clause is there for one reason only....to use it if needed. She had forethought to have it included in her contract so lucky for her it was there when needed.
    Only Greta and the people of Zenu know the real story.

atlnews2 and Charles like this.
  17. Charles

Charles Recovering Overnight Producer

I think the anticipated bloodbath after the election is expected to target management and not on-air personalities — specifically Bill Shine and Jack Abernathy running the channel. That's been described as just a holding pattern to stabilize everything through the election.

Not that it doesn't mean that there won't be a shakeup on-air, though. Out of anyone, I see Hannity leaving the soonest. Bill could be talked into staying a little longer to help hold the fort down, but then again, Bill only does what's best for him.

18. Eat News

I got $100 that says Maddow gets a call from FOX soon.
    Fair and Balanced....Shep needs a playmate.

19. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

20. Big Country News

Big Country News The Spirit of Texas

Shep stated in his FOX Report farewell that he was more into reporting than anchoring, but according to him, he's still at 1211 Avenue of the Americas until 8pm in case of breaking news.

He's there, and FOX will be more news-centric (as apposed to politics-centric) after the election.

That leaves the possibility open, and maybe Rupert misses the FNC of old, seeing as how he's bringing back Hume one hour after his old Special Report timeslot.