1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Gray acquiring various stations in 7 transactions

Discussion in 'Corporate Chat' started by CRThell, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

He is just like his father Thurston Howell III . His father was quite the survivor and so was his mom. I was always amazed at how both of them could pack so much into such small suitcases.

His Mom and Dad are still missed...and fondly remembered to this day.

Greggo, NewsStar2 and 24994J like this.
  2. KentBrockman

KentBrockman I Report, You Decide.

You make jokes now, but wait until he keeps gobbling up station groups like Nexstar and Sinclair have done. Just you watch.

3. televisionguy16

televisionguy16 Managing Editor

I don't really see much that he can get. I mean sure, just about more people than I can count on this board has mentioned Graycom happening, but what if Raycom chooses to merge with Meredith? It's highly unlikely Gray will be able to afford Tegna (this has seriously been speculated on at least two websites, as well as on here), Hearst and any of the other big groups. Gray will probably get some of those small family chains but not much. I highly doubt we'll see Gray buying Hearst, Meredith, Scripps, Tegna, Cox etc.

4. KentBrockman

KentBrockman I Report, You Decide.

And yet they did manage to gobble up Schurz which doubled their portfolio. I'm just telling you what I've heard on the inside, Hilton is in a buying mood and watch out.

televisionguy16 likes this.
  5. televisionguy16

I don't doubt that they are. However, they have managed to be better than the other station groups. If you had to ask me would I rather have Gray or Sinclair in my market (and I do live in a market with a locally-owned station that manages to dominate over Raycom and Nexstar, even on it's CW-affiliated duopoly partner, which still manages to beat a Comcorp-turned Marshall/Nexstar Fox affiliate in the ratings.), I would definitely go running towards Gray. I do think that Gray made a mistake not selling off WSBT (and they could have found another owner rather than Sinclair imo.) to keep WNDU but I don't have much gripes about Schurz.

We shouldn't complain about Gray too much because there are 42 stations right now that wish that they could be heading to Gray at this moment.

6. JCB4TV

JCB4TV Primary Anchor

You got that right, Atlanta is DMA 9 while the largest Gray station, WVLT, is in DMA 61. If Howell wants a station closer to Atlanta, give Morris Multimedia a call, they have WMGT, NBC Macon, DMA 120. BTW, Morris' largest station is in Lexington, KY, DMA 63, where a confilct would exist. Excluding Lexington, all other Morris stations are in DMAs under 90.

7. televisionguy16

Gray could merge with Meredith but that'd be a VERY TOUGH shot.

I always considered WSWG to be the flagship since it's located in the market where Gray's original flagship, WALB is at.

8. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

9. televisionguy16

I think they'll come back later for that one. I can feel it. They're probably going to use it for the CW signal when they do and put that surplus syndicated programming inventory KCPO has on an LD2 signal with a subchannel network (MeTV, AntennaTV, H&I) filling the rest of the time.

10. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

Oh well.

Yet, WSWG doesn't do anything because everything is done at WCTV.

11. CircleSeven

We have a NEW M&A tonight. Gray is bulking up in Wyoming.

Gray will acquire Mark III's KGWL/KGWR for $15.7M ($15,716,667). KGWC will be spun-off to an indie buyer.

Legacy Broadcasting will acquire Silverton's KTWO (and its sats) for $1.5M. Plus they'll be getting the Wyomedia stations (including KFNB) for $3.28M ($3,283,333). Legacy is claiming KFNB as the fifth-largest rated station in Casper, and its MeTV LP station KYWF-LD as the fourth largest.

12. televisionguy16

So, Me-TV beats Fox? Am I reading that right?

13. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl

Interesting that KGWC is being spun off. I imagine there is going to be some network shuffling of some sort. And who will want KGWC, arguably one of the CBS network's worst affiliates?

14. televisionguy16

Someone who will make it into a subchannel machine.

15. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl

I have literally no idea what's going to happen with the affiliations. Gotta admit, television in Wyoming is kind of a mess as is, and some of that's simply because of the DMA lines.

16. televisionguy16

Is Gray really going to try and jam CBS, ABC and Fox onto KCWY subs in Casper?

As for Cheyenne (and Scottsbluff), that, as you said, is a mess because they'll probably try to put Fox on KGWN/KSTF and ABC as well on the former.

They really need a 2nd stick in each market for this, you would think.

17. CircleSeven

Look under transaction description to either KFNB or KTWO.

All Gray is going to do is move CBS stream to a sub of KCWY. Or didn't they already bought some LPs in that market?

18. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl

19. GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9 News Director

For all that Gray has in that region, they don't have a single station in Montana.

20. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Ok cool...
    But I see that as a growth market with all the people getting the hell out of CA.
    Now can your growth in population translate into growth for your OTA signals and other "platforms'. Will viewer erosion take a bigger toll?

Are those stations all dogs???
    Or is there some hidden gems there?