Goodbye Comcast SportsNet, hello NBC Sports Regional Networks

Discussion in 'Sport Center' started by Viper550, Mar 22, 2017.

1. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

CSN Chicago becomes NBC Sports Chicago on October 2nd. Not only that, these will eventually rebrand as well by this year:

CSN Northwest -> NBC Sports Northwest
    CSN Philly -> NBC Sports Philly
    TCN Philly -> NBC Sports Philly+
    CSN Mid-Atlantic -> NBC Sports Washington (so now we're ignoring Baltimore, huh?)
    TCN Mid-Atlantic -> NBC Sports Washington+
    CSN New England -> NBC Sports Boston (really?)

http://www.csnchicago.com/other-spo...s-align-csn-properties-under-nbc-sports-brand

2. PAnderson1

PAnderson1 AM Anchor

That comes a day after CSN Philly's 20 anniversary. Maybe they'll plan something special for that night.

3. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

CSN Northwest should have become NBC Sports Portland as 95% of its programming is Portland/Oregon teams. ROOT Sports Northwest focuses on Seattle and Washington (state) teams (which should have rebranded as AT&T Sportsnet Seattle).

CSN Mid-Atlantic rebranding to NBC Sports Washington makes sense. There really is no Baltimore programming on there (Baltimore programming is primarily on MASN). They should try to acquire Nationals games from MASN.

Also, NBC Sports California should have been branded NBC Sports NoCal.

4. Bars-n-tone

Bars-n-tone Weekend Anchor

• October 2 is the changeover for all entities, at one time.
    • The Philadelphia properties will not be abbreviated to Philly.
    • The Mid-Atlantic change also reflects their physical move into the property with the other NBC Washington units (WRC, NBC News).

5. NCFLMedia

NCFLMedia Station Group CEO

I know but I wrote Philly for forum purposes.

6. TriangleTriadMediaNews

TriangleTriadMediaNews Managing Editor

As a diehard Nats fan, I really hope this happens. Even if it means not sharing home territory with the O's anymore, MASN treats the Nats like shit, we'd be better off having the Nats, Caps, Wizards, and Redskins on one station, then there'd also be no need for MASN 2, which could serve as another overflow for CSN when needed.

7. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

Don't Peter Angelos and the O's have the Nats by the balls in some ridiculous long term TV contract to be on MASN? I remember Bud Selig awarding them that deal as compensation of having to share the market with the Nats. If so it would take a ton of lawyers for them to get out of it.

8. A3N

A3N LIVE

The original contract was for 30 years, I believe. Each year that passes, the Nats get a larger stake in MASN. However, for the last few years, both the Nats and Orioles have been in a legal battle over rights fees that went before a panel of MLB owners, then to arbitration and eventually to court--with no end in sight. MLB/Selig tried to persuade Angelos to sell the network but he refused. I believe that Selig even tried to broker a deal between FOX Sports and Angelos, but Angelos said no. In reality, there's no incentive for Angelos to sell as MASN is his cash cow. If he is forced to pay the Nats fair market value for the tv deal, then that would be catastrophic for MASN as they undercharge carriers for the channel and they don't have the money to cover it.

9. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

Here's a promo for CSN Chicago's rebranding, and it's as full of bullshitty misleading corporate speak as you'd expect. The notion that the network will have any greater connection to NBC Sports outside of the branding is garbage, unless that connection is because the budgets are being cut so much, but they'd never admit that to the viewer...

CircleSeven likes this.
  10. WCAUTVNBC10

Must be a corporate promo cause I just heard a similarly worded promo for the change during the Flyers radio broadcast tonight. They're really pushing this as more than just a name change it seems. I guess you're going to see a lot more personalities from Stamford being booked as guests during studio shows and other continuity with the Peacock mothership.

Also I wonder if this means we might hear NBC music migrate down to the RSNs. While I love the current CSN package, I wouldn't mind hearing Roundball Rock for basketball games and Willam Goldstein's NHL on NBC theme locally.

#30 WCAUTVNBC10, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  11. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

Which makes me wonder why they don't just run it from Stamford with regional opt-outs and just keep the ball game commentators local? Dunno if they should do it in every market (Philly for one) but it may make sense given the direction they're headed with talking heads.

12. Bars-n-tone

Nah, it’s just a name change for now.

Announcers by remote is on the horizon, but it’s still far out.

13. Bars-n-tone

Spot on.

14. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

[​IMG]

Is this a new set? I don't watch a lot of NBCS Chicago outside of games themselves.

It certainly doesn't look like a new set. It feels like it's straight out of the early 2000s.

15. alex979

alex979 Primary Anchor

No, they've had that for years, but it's not used all that often. CSN/NBCS Chicago really is due for a new set...

16. WCAUTVNBC10

The group as a whole is. The set-in-a-can they all have now is pushing 10 years old now. Here in Philly they don't even use the news desk anymore for SportsNet Central (in fact they took down the desk), opting to do the now 15 min show from their much newer (and nicer) Philly Sports Talk set.

It'll be interesting to see what NBCS Washington gets when they move in with WRC. I'd suspect it would get passed along to the rest of the group.

#36 WCAUTVNBC10, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  17. Georgie56

Georgie56 News Director

Why hasn't the ticker been updated to match the one used by NBC/NBCSN?

WCAUTVNBC10 likes this.
  18. WCAUTVNBC10

I've wanted to know the answer to that myself.