1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Morning America

Discussion in 'Network News' started by Eyewitness News-man, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Drew

Drew NBCUniversal News Group President

They could be grooming them to replace Amy since isn’t she moving to 20/20 in the fall?

2. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

I've seen it in a few places that Amy is likely going to replace Elizabeth Vargas on 20/20 after she leaves in May. Whether or not Amy continues on GMA is unknown, but it would give her a greater assignment than whatever you'd call her official role, now.

EDIT: Yeah, what Drew said.

3. newsanchor26

newsanchor26 Weekend Anchor

Cecilia seems like too valuable a player to be doing a diminished GMA news anchor role. She should stay in Washington and build her cred as a leading political correspondent, and then a few years down the road move on to anchoring full time. I think it's time GMA drop the news anchor role like Today did. Also, I'm sure Amy will still fill-in for Robin when she goes to 20/20. Elizabeth has all these years.

MorningNews likes this.
  4. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

5. Daybreak

Daybreak News Director

I wished Michael was apart of the “changes”

KRAP-TV and wabceyewitness like this.
  6. 24994J

With a reduced role for Lara, they could stand to shift Michael's focus to the second hour, hell, even 7:30. I know most here are not fans of Strahan, but I generally like these moves. For being a co-anchor, Lara wasn't treated like one, and Amy is finally getting a more established role, so good for both of them.

Daybreak likes this.
  7. mountainave

mountainave Managing Editor

Sounds like it remains unclear if Amy will continue as news anchor on GMA while hosting 20/20, or if she'll be replaced, or if the news anchor role will be eliminated altogether.

If it's the latter, in combination with the elimination of Lara's full time role, it certainly
    amounts to a cost savings for the show.

8. 24994J

She doesn't read the news anymore, as it is. All signs point to her staying on as a contributor, and probably a fill-in anchor, so they'll merely be formally redefining her current role.

9. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

10. mountainave

That wouldn't shock me if it pans out. Like Tom Llamas, he held a high-profile role before joining ABC News.

11. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

brianpr3 and Daybreak like this.
  12. mountainave

From a journalistic quality perspective, it'd be nice to see Whit take over most of Michael's role in the first hour, with Michael then owning more of the second hour. Don't know that that will happen, though. Certainly not immediately.

Daybreak likes this.
  13. tvtime07

tvtime07 Reporter

For me, GMA always feels like there's too many cooks in the kitchen. There's been so many adding and adjusting to the talent lineup, I'm no longer a regular viewer (moved to CBS This Morning) but it just feels like they tinker with the cast every several months trying to find the right chemistry. How I wish simpler times when there were just two main anchors, a news reader and weatherperson, those were the days. Life was so much better without Pop News, the daily home shopping segment and audience clapping.

MorningNews and CircleSeven like this.
  14. 24994J

To be fair, they really don't play with the core, credited team too much. There's fluctuation in prominence and airtime, but it's been Robin, George, Michael, Lara, Amy and ginger for the better part of 3 years.

15. ED2

ED2 Reporter

Good Morning America expands to 3 hours, taking up an afternoon timeslot:

The Chew is being sacrificed to bring the 3rd hour of GMA to life.

JacobC likes this.
  16. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

I...what?

This only makes sense if it's straight 7-10AM or the third hour is at 10AM after Kelly/Ryan. They could DOMINATE AM programming in most markets if they did that.

This feels like a Good Afternoon America revival. While there likely is a need to toss The Chew thanks to Mario Batali being a creep, this isn't the way to replace that hour of programming.

17. 24994J

That also confirms that GMA will go into the fall season as a 4-person show.

18. atlnews2

atlnews2 News Director

The issue is that if they expand GMA to 9am then that hurts corporate cousin "Live w/Kelly and Ryan".

19. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

i feel it is a bad idea