Fox News harrasment controversy

Discussion in 'US Cable News' started by atlnews2, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jase

jase AM Anchor

I think it would be a better option to move Tucker and Hannity up an hr and give the 10 to someone else. Who?? I don't know.

2. Georgie56

Georgie56 Managing Editor

3. brycats

brycats Assignment Editor

Oh well he was bound to be axed. Let's just see how smooth this goes.

4. swillh2k2

swillh2k2 AM Anchor

That was my thought. Just move Martha to 8 and give her increased exposure.

5. WAVY 10 Fan

WAVY 10 Fan News Director

Per New Yorker article about Bill O'Reilly getting the ax, Hannity wants to stay in the 10:00 pm spot. Said article also speculated about FOX News either moving Eric Bolling or Dana Perino off The Five or bumping Tucker Carlson Tonight up from the 9:00 spot he was given after Megyn Kelly left.

6. swillh2k2

swillh2k2 AM Anchor

It's official.

7. alex979

alex979 Primary Anchor

Wow. Roger Ailes, Greta Van Susteren, Megyn Kelly, and Bill O'Reilly all gone in 9 months. Who would've ever imagined...

8. Georgie56

Georgie56 Managing Editor

#68 Georgie56, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. atlnews2

atlnews2 News Director

I never thought I would see the day. I honestly thought he'd stay there until he died.

I think this shows that that the Murdoch sons do have real power because if Rupert was running the show by himself Bill and Roger would still be there.

MorningNews likes this.
  10. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

So, here's a thought: If I remember correctly, O'Reilly was one of the people at FNC who supposedly threatened to quit if Roger Ailes was fired last year. Well, Ailes was fired but O'Reilly didn't walk...but I wonder if anyone's going to quit because of _both_ Ailes and O'Reilly being fired.

mposeymil likes this.
  11. MidwestTV

MidwestTV Station Group CEO

If anyone that would be Hannity, but now Hannity is the man of the place so I doubt he'll go anywhere.

12. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

The Murdochs have to play nice with Ofcom so they can get approval to take over Sky.

It's all about the almighty dollar, and 21CF is finding out the hard way the financial risks of cleaning up in the 65-dead demo with uncontested groupthink.

mposeymil likes this.
  13. Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell Director of Graphic Blandishment and Chroma Cues

...until Gabriel Sherman uncovers something really embarrassing about good ol' Lumpy that threatens to impact 21CF's coffers.

14. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Here's an interesting article from Salon about Roger Ailes. It's been reported in the past that he had a "black room" filled with people investigating Fox News personalities he did not like. He hired private investigators to follow his reporters every movement, going over their phone calls and even credit reports. But most (un)surprisingly he hired a marketing company to make blog about Fox News and their enemies. One such blog focused on the women of Fox and was filled with misogynistic content.

I think 21CF likely needs to clean house and hire new managers in hopes of a better corporate culture.

mposeymil and CircleSeven like this.
  15. ns8401

ns8401 Station Group CEO

Their rotting from the inside out is a dream come true for their critics... but it's clear to me that the conservative cable news model as FOX has had it since its inception is collapsing...

16. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

Yep, this.

IMO, Bill Shine should've been ousted in tandem with Ailes. He was an enabler for Ailes. If you want to end the harassment culture at Fox News, they need to do some wholesale cleaning, from top to bottom. Get rid of all those who covered up for Ailes, O'Reilly, and the others involved (if they haven't already done so). But as long as you keep Shine and the rest of them, the culture at Fox News will stay a status quo, no matter who the leaves next.

At this current rate, this is worst than the News of The World scandal. And Murdoch was trying to get Sky then.

atlnews2 likes this.
  17. Charles

Charles News Director

I used to be active on some of those CNN fan sites, and because of that, some of the content and users crossed over into Reporter Caps and some of those other blogs. I always thought those FNC ones were creepy and strange, but it's amazing that a corporation like Fox would explicitly create them as a PR stunt. Looking back now, there were a fair amount of guest posters on the CNN sites cheering on Fox, making comments about CNN's bad ratings, and wishing for Paula Zahn's show to be cancelled.

Also not surprising that Johnny Dollar was close to Fox, but that's still crazy that they would *pay* a no-nothing blogger like him for favorable coverage in the online underworld.

18. MidwestTV

MidwestTV Station Group CEO

Am I the only one who feels those saying "Now THIS is the beginning of the end for Fox News" are being over-reactive and and over-hopeful at this news? People said similar things when Ailes left, it didn't happen. People said similar things when Kelley left, nothing happened. Now here we are, people saying the same thing now that O'Reilly is gone, and now we must wait and see if something will actually happen.

I'm skeptical. Besides, it's only a matter of time before the CNN racial discrimination scandal comes to a head or something breaks loose at MSNBC.

Maybe this is good for the entire industry. Maybe this will lead to shakeups elsewhere that will humble all of the cable news networks. Lord knows it's certainly needed.

Eat News, 24994J and alex979 like this.
  19. nobody

nobody AM Anchor

Bill

#79 nobody, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  20. jase

jase AM Anchor

Fox is also dealing with both a racial discrimination scandal and a possible federal investigation regarding these 'payoffs/settlements,' so they have a ton of work ahead of them. I'm not sure why they don't just deal with anything and everything once and for all instead of reacting only after this stuff comes to light. I don't think FOX will go far enough to do what needs to be done (both behind and in front of the camera) until Rupert dies.

I don't believe this (or any future incidents) will lead to any substantial cultural changes at FNC, CNN, etc... until they put forth the effort to create a welcoming and ideal work environment.

CircleSeven likes this.