1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

Discussion in 'News Music & Voiceovers' started by promoguy98, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Darius22

Darius22 News Director

sounds like something from Network Music.

2. promoguy98

promoguy98 I'll be back on TVNT later this fall...

This isn't really a discovered news package composer...... more like a potentially discovered musical influence that shaped some themes. Have to wonder if this song released in July of 1983 influenced one the main themes of Gari's News Channel and a theme in Gilmer's Image IV package? I also remember a sound-alike version on one of the first Megatrax CD's! I always thought the inspiration came from Flashdance, not this dude. :D

Start from the beginning and notice the 8 second mark. EDIT: just noticed the ending starting at 3:46 is also a dead giveaway and sounds close to the tag of News Channel.

#542 promoguy98, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. Info Junkie

Info Junkie News Director

Might’ve been possible. This was released around the same time as KCNC’s call letter change (which stands for Colorado’s News Channel) and WSB commissioned the Gari package itself in ‘83...

promoguy98 and Spectrum27 like this.
  4. Info Junkie

KOTA’s news theme pre-TVbD is a pretty questionable. @Ramona thinks this is a KPM one.

5. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

I'm just taking a wild guess — it's definitely a library, but which one I have no clue. The Battle of the Video Games clip definitely means it was out by 1983.

6. hmaxhanson

hmaxhanson Just another pawn in Sinclair's war on local TV

Easy one. It's VTS Productions' "Looking Out For You", as used by KFDA & KSWO in the late 80's/early 90s. The closing piece is an instrumental from their image campaign, as used by CFTO in 1984:

bixpchiphead likes this.
  7. Info Junkie

Hmmm... once again another thing we gotta add to the NMSA....

bixpchiphead likes this.
  8. onthesea

onthesea Managing Editor

This Phil Collins song "You Can't Hurry Love" (1983) reminds me of KCBS/WTEN's news theme from the early 1990s (because of some musical notes)

Yankees4life likes this.
  9. Info Junkie

Does anyone believe if WSPA’s News Theme from the early 90s is a Peters track? They were a Peters client at the time...

10. Ntropolis

Ntropolis News Director

I want to say yes. It goes along with their “7’s in the center, in the center of it all” campaign of the time. Spartan sister WBTW was a Peters client at the same time with Best of Two Worlds.

11. sfomspphl

sfomspphl Reporter

onthesea likes this.
  12. Darius22

Darius22 News Director

I do hear it a little bit.

QuartermaineTriadCLT likes this.
  13. Info Junkie

I remember speculation on this thread a while back about what KXAS was using between MCTYW and Wall-to-Wall News. Well now with this video we can put it up to determination.

Yankees4life likes this.
  14. TServo2049

TServo2049 Reporter

An ID with that music has been circulating for years, on a compilation of assorted IDs and commercials that has been floating around since the early 2000s. (Genius7277 uploaded it in chunks on YouTube years back, it's still up and the KXAS ID is in there.)

I've been waiting to hear this theme beyond the 5-second ID for 15 years.

15. Darius22

Darius22 News Director

for some reason this doesnt have a listing anywhere. my guess is that the theme is done in-house, this clip has some tape warping so it might be kinda hard to tell.

onthesea likes this.
  16. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Turned up this letter to the editor from a 1990 edition of the Paducah Sun:

OCR mangled the order, but there's an even more interesting 1991 article in here somewhere. It mentions Dan Steele — WPSD's operations and program manager! — who appears on the Copyright Office listing for WPSD Cares About You, and says he composed the work. (No sign of Forrest Turner, though.)

There are also two mentions of a Stephanie Hall (née Cratch) who is the main female vocalist for the image song. She also did singing work in Nashville as well as some national commercials as a model (!).

There's a surprising amount of detail for market size here - probably helps the two have been co-owned for decades.

———

Speaking of Nashville, from the April 3, 1986 edition of The Tennessean... Looks like they had THREE composers!

Worth noting: the open video we have is from the very first day of the new theme! (Unfortunately, nashvilletv.org is still actually down.) The custom work wound up being sorta folded into TM's Spirit campaign.

#556 Ramona, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Yankees4life, MikePulse and onthesea like this.
  17. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Speaking of things I wanna know... Who wrote this bad boy? It would have debuted in the fall of '87 and is probably related to the KGUN 1988-94 theme.

There is a shot of jingle singers toward the end — anyone recognize them?

18. Ntropolis

Ntropolis News Director

Although it's already "discovered"... I'm pulling up the Otis Conner WROC/WXII theme again.

Listen closely to the melody in the background of this WXII promo from 1988...

This was during the era they were using the "remixed" Wall to Wall arranged by Conner, but that's definitely the exact same melody as the other Conner theme that's regarded as separate. Could it be the same package, or is it more likely that Conner was recycling the melody for the "Wall to Wall remix" now that we know the "WROC theme" existed in 1987 (KOB)? Is there more to the story about the WXII/WYFF remix?

19. Ramona

Ramona Fluffy Fox Girl
    Forum Moderator

Here's a late Canadian selection...

The CFCF Pulse theme debuted in September 1997 was written by Peter McLaughlin of Montreal.

The theme was the successor to Total News for CFCF, as demonstrated by this June 20, 1996 edition of Pulse:

———

Not quite a composer, but worth noting. The date is 12/21/79, so the theme mentioned is News People???

"He was, for example, largely responsible for the new set and opening-credit sequence on Channel 2's newscasts. ([Paul] Paolicelli, who used to be a trumpet player, even wrote part of the new theme music.) Before coming to Atlanta, Paolicelli was a consultant with Frank Magid Associates, the based TV news consultant firm that has, rightly or wrongly, become identified with the trend in local newscasts toward "cosmetics" over substance."

onthesea likes this.
  20. Info Junkie

I think it’s talking about the supposed WSB 1980 Theme (the one BEFORE 2 Steps Ahead).