CSN Philly taking over NBC10 Sports duties

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by PhillyWatch, Nov 18, 2013.

1. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

So I'm reading 10 will move to 1800 Arch as part of a new 59 story Comcast Technology center/skyscraper that's being built.

T62 will be housed in the building as well. My question: Will CSN Philly move in too, or are they happy at the sports complex? I imagine those studios have to be pretty tiny.

2. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

I doubt CSN is going anywhere simply for the fact that they are where they are and the convenience of it all.

3. TennTV1983

TennTV1983 Primary Anchor

Well, that's interesting news. Here's more on the proposed Innovation and Technology Center Tower in Philly:
    http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-innovation-technology-center-press-release

Does anyone other than me think they purposely had the building designed to mimic Rockefeller Center in New York and NBC Tower in Chicago? I know it's gonna be all-glass on the outside, but the shape looks similar.

4. WCAUTVNBC10

Well being that the building is designed to house two over broadcast TV stations, I would think that would be a good model to base that off

5. Bars-n-tone

Bars-n-tone Weekend Anchor

It's not as convenient as you think. Access is pretty much the same as any other station. NBC has taken several significant steps over the last 6 months to remove CSN's daily operations apart from the building's. Kind of being an oasis in the building, rather than part of it. And, yes, as mentioned upthread, bigger studio space is needed.

6. WCAUTVNBC10

Interesting. If they were to move out of the Well though, do you think they'd want to move downtown or stay in the Sports Complex in a new building? I agree their studio space is tiny. They three sets practically jammed into one area. I don't know how they manage to get more than one camera into the PST set since it's basically a hole in the wall behind the SportsNite/Rise set.

7. ElliotJones

ElliotJones Heilman Has It!

My six shift tenure at CSN comes in handy for once!

If I recall correctly, cameras 1 and 3 are crammed in there, 2 was pretty much in the SportsNite set and was only capable of getting a single shot of the middle guest or a 2-shot of the two rightmost guests. Camera 4, the jib camera, sits next to camera 2 and seems kinda limited...there was a time I was running 2 and had 4 stuck in the corner of my shot.

Also, who's idea was it to put the studio and control room on complete opposite sides of a f'ing arena? I would run camera for PST and prompter for SportsNite...I had 2:30 to literally run out of the studio, through the newsroom, across the concourse, down the stairs, around the corner, and hope to god somebody will let me in the control room in time for me to load the prompter.

8. JULIUS

JULIUS Newsroom Intern

It would be foolish for CSN to move out of the Wells Fargo Center.

9. Bars-n-tone

FYI: CSN is handling sports for 10, as of today, Feb 6.

10. HulkieD

HulkieD COUNT ON IT

John Clark was from the newsroom and signed off as CSN. On an odd day for 10, this was the oddest.

11. Bars-n-tone

Well, that's the new normal for their sports.

12. WCAUTVNBC10

Bars, do you know what other duties John will have at CSN other than being 10's sports anchor? Will he be doing SportsNite/Rise or Pre/Post Game Live?

13. Bars-n-tone

I don't have an answer for you. Post Game duties would be tough, because games could start late, or run late (overtime, etc.), and that could invade WCAU's slot. The preference is the same talent for Pre/Intermission/Post, so I doubt he will will be assigned to game coverage, except for Eagles, like he did when he was based in 10's building.

14. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover AM Anchor

Don't really get what John's doing different other than reporting from the CSN studios. The report seems the same. Maybe I'm missing what the benefits of this arrangement are.

I have seen the first non-benefit (from a sports perspective): it looks like Sports Final is gone in favor of an additional half hour of news on Sunday nights.

15. Bars-n-tone

The benefit of the arrangement is cost savings. $$$$$$ Now there is only one outfit providing sports coverage to two NBC stations, rather than have two sets of hosts, writers, producers and editors across the two facilities - often with nearly the same output. It's all about where you allocate your manpower.

About five or so years ago, there was serious discussion to have CSN do all of KYW/WPSG's sports in the same arrangement that WCAU has. Things fell apart before the whole Comcast/NBC deal.

Also, to answer WCAUNBC10's question a bit more, John Clark did fill in for Michael Barkann for a few days on Philly Sports Talk last week. His reports have been on SportsNite as well, although I doubt he will anchor the latter program, as there are WCAU responsibilities during the SportsNite time slots. (WCAU sometimes records morning sports before the 11PM show.) When they need an extra body, they bring Steve Bucci in for the desk.

16. ThunderJay27

ThunderJay27 AM Anchor

Watching the Phillies game on 10, and there's no branding of 10 anywhere in the broadcast, outside the occasional commercial or 15 second hit. Everything is CSN branding. When they were on 17 last year, they did put it in the score box logo and mention it coming back from commercials and such. Why the change this year? One would think they go 10 everything just about with this being the home opener.

17. WCAUTVNBC10

I would think so too. CSN Bay Area produces Giants games that are carried on KNTV and they use a modded graphic package for them. I thought they'd go the same route here.

18. A3N

A3N LIVE

It's not that modified. They take the CSN logo out and it's just replaced by the peacock, not sure why they didn't do it for the WCAU game.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bars-n-tone

It's not really worth the effort to make a new graphics build for a single game.

20. WCAUTVNBC10

You mean 12?