1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS plans to unload its Radio stations.

Discussion in 'Radio Broadcasting' started by CircleSeven, Mar 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

So which building will fire the other building first?

2. Darius22

Darius22 Managing Editor

I Don't know. Entercom has a bigger building than CBS Radio.

3. Darius22

Darius22 Managing Editor

As of February 8th. KDND 107.9 the end went off the air and moved to 106.5 replacing KUDL star106.5.

4. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

From RadioInsight this morning, Entercom has formed a divestiture trust in the overlapped markets.

Entercom will annouce which stations will go in the trust, should no buyer of the spin-off stations comes forward when the CBS deal closes.

5. TVLover8528

TVLover8528 The One Behind Those Bland Station Logos

I looked at the article this morning, it said that it has KCBS-FM and KSWD in Los Angeles already.

6. CircleSeven

CircleSeven Midnight Presenter

The Entercom-CBS deal just got docketed.

7. Eat News

8. TVLover8528

Entercom has announced the 16 stations that are going to be divested in the markets that both CBS and Entercom own Radio Stations.

They are:

Boston: CBS’ 1030 WBZ, 98.5 WBZ-FM, 100.7 WZLX and Entercom’s 680 WRKO and 97.7 WKAF
    (Entercom will keep 103.3 WODS and 104.1 WBMX)

Seattle: CBS’ 96.5 KJAQ, 102.5 KZOK, and 1090 KFNQ
    (Entercom will add 94.1 KMPS to their cluster)

San Francisco: Entercom’s 96.5 KOIT, 98.5 KUFX, 102.9 KBLX and CBS’ 99.7 KMVQ

Sacramento: All of CBS’ Sacramento Cluster, except 102.5 KSFM

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...-stations-divested-complete-cbs-radio-merger/

9. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

Very surprised at the divestiture of WBZ-AM-FM.

atlnews2, Spectrum27 and bixpchiphead like this.
  10. LTSC1980

LTSC1980 Primary Anchor

#30 LTSC1980, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  11. TVLover8528

12. CaPa

CaPa Newsroom Intern

The parties have reached a deal, though they haven't said how they've worked it out. It's less urgent now that radio's measured with meters and not diaries and it won't depend on what someone writes down.

http://laradio.com/ (scroll to October 3rd entry and quote from EMF's Mike Novak)

13. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

Incredibly surprised at WBZ 1030 going to iHeart. Almost shocked. It wouldn't surprise me to see iHeart convert BZ to a split format like WDEL or WKXW (they were sort of halfway there anyway)--if they don't flip it to all talk!

Also amazed Entercom would just give up the radio rights to all the Boston sports teams like that. Beasley will probably keep 98.5 the way it is.

Does BZ radio still have partnerships on the TV side? Do those evaporate now with the ownership changes?

--And now that I see Entercom's current, pre-merger portfolio, I don't see that they have any pure newsradio formats on the air. They're all a combo news/talk or some other messy mix. If I'm an all-news station at any place not named WINS or KNX, given how they just tossed BZ, I'd be legit worried.

#34 TSSZNews, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. atlnews2

atlnews2 News Director

Does iHeart have an all news station like WBZ in it's lineup? I'll be very surprised if that format remains untouched.

15. Georgie56

Georgie56 News Director

No. All news/talk.

16. Eat News

Keep a close eye on KCBS 740am SF...
    They recently cut the traffic airplanes and now KNX is running 3 (planes) during drive times...and 1 or 2 during the mid and afternoons.

All KCBS has now is the Phone Phorce...and the caltrans sensors and cameras.

17. caliwxdude

caliwxdude Primary Anchor

The KCBS Air Force of lumbering Cessnas was fun while it lasted. But it seemed more often than not, the planes were grounded during AM drive since the Peninsula is in IFR conditions due to the marine layer.

Regardless of the cuts, KCBS is still #2 in the market behind KQED (yes, the Bay Area is full of NPR-listening treehugging liberals and has the numbers to prove it :p). Entercom would be stupid to mess with it, and until the numbers start to drop I doubt there will be any changes. Where the station ends up physically will be interesting, since it's co-located with the other CBS Radio properties and KPIX at 855 Battery. Entercom's existing SF cluster is at 3rd and Howard, but since most of those stations appear to be going to Bonneville, I kinda think KGMZ will move over to 855 Battery and Entercom will just lease the space from CBS.

Will be interesting to see what happens with KMVQ going to Bonneville, and Bonneville coming back into SF. (KMVQ was the first CHR station after the market was CHR-less for about a decade when Bonneville's KZQZ flipped to classic rock after a couple years.) Gotta wonder what the Mormons will think of having two gay dudes host a morning drive radio show.

18. tw-804

tw-804 Primary Anchor

I'm surprised WBZ 1030 is going to iHeartRadio, but I'm really shocked that Entercom is acquiring iHeart's Richmond stations. Looks like I'll soon be hearing WRVQ (CHR) and WBTJ (Urban) on TuneIn (Entercom - along with CBS Radio, Beasley and others - stream their stations on TuneIn). Will be interesting to see what happens.

#39 tw-804, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  19. bixpchiphead

bixpchiphead Weekend Anchor

Let's see what iheart does to destroy 'BZ, I'd imagine the OldSport Norm Nathan and the late Bruds are prolly spinning in their graves.....

AlNYTVRadio and Spectrum27 like this.