CBS News, BBC News form partnership

Discussion in 'Network News' started by Charles, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Charles

Charles News Director

CBS News is forming a partnership with BBC News. This marks the end of CBS' partnership with Sky News and the BBC's with ABC News. The partnership includes full sharing of video, resources, and correspondents. The WSJ report also says it may include sharing or consolidation of facilities in the future.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-bbc-strike-content-sharing-partnership-1020724

Sounds like a big win for CBS, who struck at the right time. CBS is also a much better match for BBC News now than when the BBC first struck a deal with ABC in the 90s.

2. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

It makes much more sense for the BBC to ditch ABC. With ABC's current focus to the BBC's are apples and oranges.

I just hope this doesn't end Katty Kay's appearances on MSNBC and Meet The Press.

3. LVForward

LVForward Weekend Anchor

Might explain this...
    ABC News Hires BBC Correspondent James Longman For London Bureau

Although James Longman has that ABC News look about him. Can the "Men of ABC News" calendar be far behind?

4. rkolsen

If you followed his Instagram there's more than enough for his own calendar. He even had a YouTube video of him and boyfriend (?) singing "Say My Name" on a beach somewhere. It was on the same account as his demo real and appears in the related video section.

5. brianpr3

brianpr3 News Director

[​IMG]

6. rkolsen

It gets more interesting as they made one that was posted on his WORK Facebook that's now been deleted with him and the same guy in the hotel bedroom. It was pretty good. I must say those brits are very liberated (not prudish - where anchors here get trashed if they post a bathing suit pic) when it comes to this sort of stuff. I mean the tabloid The Sun (which was the most widely circulated newspaper in the U.K.) had a Page Three girl where they were topless. And some nudity of both sexes is shown on broadcast TV where as in the US a bare nipple caused millions of complaints to the FCC.

I say good for him. If you got it flaunt it.

As an aside he seems to be a good reporter. I liked the "lovely films" he did for Victoria Derbyshire program especially the mental illness one - which caused me to follow him on social media.

7. Charles

Charles News Director

How have I never come across that guy before?

8. bixpchiphead

bixpchiphead Weekend Anchor

And in fact, the CBS News video archives have been part of the BBC archives for at least twenty years....

9. Eyewitness News-man

Eyewitness News-man N.W.A: News-man With Attitude.

This BBC partner switch makes a lot of sense, and should form a more stronger bond with CBS than with ABC.

I've seen that Longman video. I saw it from a link in the Chatbox some time ago.
    Quite entertaining. Really nice IMO to see a reporter have fun every once in a while.

rkolsen likes this.
  10. mountainave

mountainave Managing Editor