1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

CBS Evening News

Discussion in 'Network News' started by 24994J, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

It's not his fault...
    But he is sure gonna get the blame.

You can't blame the sale weasels...you can't blame the set or graphics.

CBS should adopt my "End of News Days" final newscast format.

"The incredibly non-biased multi-gender liberally-conservative quasi-woke international-action-eyewitness news-team..."
    or
    tinbmglcqwiaent

That's it folks...after this format it's all over.

2. fox2

fox2 Weekend Anchor

The problem is - in David Muir, ABC found itself with a dramatic, attractive and especially flamboyant evening news host who is perfect for attracting viewers in the demo - notably women. It's like the so-called "appeal" of Justin Trudeau. Peter Jennings - although not gay - I remember was really the first to have this whimsical, conversational (and higher-pitched) kind of delivery that engendered a deeper kind of "connection" with the viewer than the more impersonal, old-school "voice of God"-style anchors like Dan Rather. Jennings definitely represented a "different" mould of anchorman in his era at ABC. And Muir was the logical successor to keep that style going (in his case, going way over the top. For what it's worth, I am not a fan of Muir's or ABC's new style at all). So, Jeff Glor is the opposite of this style. CBS's mistake was thinking it was just about age, and hiring a telegenic youthful anchor. No, it was about expressiveness and flair and drama - like it or not. Jeff hasn't got it.

#162 fox2, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    onthesea, Eat News and PitCleTV like this.
  3. Daybreak

Daybreak News Director

It seems as if CBS wants to be number one and not put in the work to get there! If they actually come up with a plan and stop being brash with firing Scott before they had a real succession plan maybe they would’ve been better off. I will say the “eye opener” rundown was a good start.

24994J and Breaking News like this.
  4. Metrodonmartin

Metrodonmartin News Exec

Muir is leading in the $$ demo and in HH numbers more than not. Holt’s numbers inherited from Williams have slowly slipped away. ABC has been the only one to build an audience recently while both NBC and CBS are trending down. So at the end of day it may not matter what those of us in the business or those of you who are news fans think... the viewers think Muir and ABC are it currently.

24994J likes this.
  5. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

Nightly News numbers started ticking down when Brian Williams was still in charge and Muir started beating Williams in demo and viewership. When it started ticking down that was when scandal about Williams lying came in. Nightly News got a big bump when Lester took over in fact Lester was beating ABC triple the viewership then around late 2017, the numbers started to slip at Nightly News. I think part of it was due NBC's scandals with Weinstein, Lauer and also the hiring of Megyn Kelly.

I think part of it is affliliate numbers. At my hometown ABC affiliate is highest rated and also carryover is important. Muir is benefiting from cross-over appeal such as being on GMA, making appearences on Kelly Ripa etc.

Also where are the places where Muir is getting better ratings from, is he benefiting from coastal cities or middle America.

Also let's be honest, NBC has been very biased in their reporting. Lester Holt is not the problem but when you have biased reporters from MSNBC carry onto main network in this hyperpolitical time, it will turn off a lot of people.

That is why I believe that NBC Nightly News has to limit the reporters who are on MSNBC.

6. Metrodonmartin

Metrodonmartin News Exec

Appreciate your views. I just disagree. NBC News reporters are no more biased than any others. Maddow and the other opinion show hosts on MSNBC are getting record numbers. Especially good in the demo. NBC is delighted for that. MSNBC has refocused during the day to basically the NBC News Channel. Evenings are opionion shows. Record ratings on both dayparts. My NBC News colleagues in management are very happy and their research is a majority of positives for the first time in the history of the cable network.

7. TheFizzle21

TheFizzle21 Assignment Editor

Watched the EN for the first time since the "EyeOpener" intro debuted. I was surprised and also disappointed. I'm a sucker for news opens, so going from a read of headlines that lead into "This is the CBS Evening News..." to a read of two top stories that bring us to a 1 minute rundown of headlines is a letdown for me because I truly appreciate the classic, old-school ways of not just the news on TV, but shows of all genres. Though I may be an outlier in some ways to my generation of "at your fingertips" and "instant gratification", I do understand why these moves need to be made, even if it does or does not concern Glor's future.

MorningNews likes this.