1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

CBS Evening News

Discussion in 'Network News' started by 24994J, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

It's not his fault...
    But he is sure gonna get the blame.

You can't blame the sale weasels...you can't blame the set or graphics.

CBS should adopt my "End of News Days" final newscast format.

"The incredibly non-biased multi-gender liberally-conservative quasi-woke international-action-eyewitness news-team..."
    or
    tinbmglcqwiaent

That's it folks...after this format it's all over.

2. fox2

fox2 Weekend Anchor

The problem is - in David Muir, ABC found itself with a dramatic, attractive and especially flamboyant evening news host who is perfect for attracting viewers in the demo - notably women. It's like the so-called "appeal" of Justin Trudeau. Peter Jennings - although not gay - I remember was really the first to have this whimsical, conversational (and higher-pitched) kind of delivery that engendered a deeper kind of "connection" with the viewer than the more impersonal, old-school "voice of God"-style anchors like Dan Rather. Jennings definitely represented a "different" mould of anchorman in his era at ABC. And Muir was the logical successor to keep that style going (in his case, going way over the top. For what it's worth, I am not a fan of Muir's or ABC's new style at all). So, Jeff Glor is the opposite of this style. CBS's mistake was thinking it was just about age, and hiring a telegenic youthful anchor. No, it was about expressiveness and flair and drama - like it or not. Jeff hasn't got it.

#162 fox2, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    onthesea, Eat News and PitCleTV like this.
  3. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

I don't get the appeal of David Muir, he looks stiff and awkward. He seems like a nice guy but his news style does nothing for me. He is good looking but I am not watching my news for good looks.Personally, I lean more towards Lester Holt, his straight shooter and guy you have can have a beer with is better to watch. However I am not a fan of the network he works for cause he is surrounded by a lot of biased people and that will have a negative effect on him.

I think there is more to it then just looks for Muir. Often times, you need good affliate ratings that can reflect on national news ratings. Where I live, my ABC news affiliate has higher ratings then the other two networks. That can have an effect. Also what helps David Muir is that he has more social media presence, he is more active then Lester Holt and most people are on the internet then watching television. Part of building an audience is also using social media, when you make yourself more active you can reach people more and connect to more people. That is what has helped Muir

Also CBS needs diversity, getting plain white male looking anchors is not going to cut it in network television anymore. The generation is shifitng and there is going to be more diverity in the country. You need to reflect the country.

4. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

Seems like you’re implying that David Muir is gay with no evidence to back that up. I don’t really see his flamboyance either. Not sure what any of that has to do with his appeal/non-appeal though.

We know you’re not a fan of Lester’s network. Glad to see you’ve spread your wings and are now criticizing other networks. Jeff, although slightly better than Scott, is stiff, boring, and monotonish.

Hate to break it to you both, in addition to journalistic skills, both looks and presentation are important.

Metrodonmartin, USNewsie and 24994J like this.
  5. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

I will never know why you like to drink the kool aid of NBC. Maybe you work there or have a relative who works there. I have a free enough mind to criticize these instiutions we like to call the free press . I am sorry that I am bursting your bubble.

Of course looks are important but I also like presentation and Muir has no presentation skills as well as Glor.

6. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

For what it’s worth, I drink ABC’s Kool Aid. NBC is probably my second choice, and CBS third. I’ve been a fan of ABC since the Peter Jennings WNT days and the Charlie/Joan GMA days.

Your history shows that you used to consistently bash NBC properties only. Only after I’ve called you out have you spread your criticism elsewhere. You ain’t bursting my bubble.

7. Breaking News

Breaking News News Director

Same here been with ABC during Peter Jennings on WNT & Charlie/Joan when GMA was watchable then vs. today. NBC was second choice and CBS third as well. Around 96-97 I did leap over to CBS Evening News and Dan Rather was solid, but back in the 90s all (3) did focus their network newscast did give you news around the world.

I'm not a fan of Muir, but I do watch ABC and sometimes Holt on NBC. CBS does give you a real look at news, but CBS has had too many changes. I thought Pelley was solid, but Glor ugh he ok. It be ok to put a woman in the chair Norah would be good. I think CBS NEWS has not evovled and stuck as if Walter Cronkite is still doing the news.

onthesea and cna247 like this.
  8. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

Have you looked at the news lately. Matt Lauer harassing interns and sexually assaulting staffers. Charlie Rose getting away with sexually harassing interns for over a decade. Yet you kiss up to the networks that put these monsters in power.

Eat News likes this.
  9. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

:rolleyes: Can you not read? I said I prefer ABC, who has not employed either of those two. I’m not kissing up to anyone.

10. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

That sounds like kissing up to me when you drink their kool aid

11. cna247

cna247 Newsroom Intern

What I meant was they’re my choice for news. I was using the “Kool Aid” figure of speech differently.

12. Daybreak

Daybreak News Director

It seems as if CBS wants to be number one and not put in the work to get there! If they actually come up with a plan and stop being brash with firing Scott before they had a real succession plan maybe they would’ve been better off. I will say the “eye opener” rundown was a good start.

24994J and Breaking News like this.
  13. Metrodonmartin

Metrodonmartin News Exec

Muir is leading in the $$ demo and in HH numbers more than not. Holt’s numbers inherited from Williams have slowly slipped away. ABC has been the only one to build an audience recently while both NBC and CBS are trending down. So at the end of day it may not matter what those of us in the business or those of you who are news fans think... the viewers think Muir and ABC are it currently.

24994J likes this.
  14. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

Nightly News numbers started ticking down when Brian Williams was still in charge and Muir started beating Williams in demo and viewership. When it started ticking down that was when scandal about Williams lying came in. Nightly News got a big bump when Lester took over in fact Lester was beating ABC triple the viewership then around late 2017, the numbers started to slip at Nightly News. I think part of it was due NBC's scandals with Weinstein, Lauer and also the hiring of Megyn Kelly.

I think part of it is affliliate numbers. At my hometown ABC affiliate is highest rated and also carryover is important. Muir is benefiting from cross-over appeal such as being on GMA, making appearences on Kelly Ripa etc.

Also where are the places where Muir is getting better ratings from, is he benefiting from coastal cities or middle America.

Also let's be honest, NBC has been very biased in their reporting. Lester Holt is not the problem but when you have biased reporters from MSNBC carry onto main network in this hyperpolitical time, it will turn off a lot of people.

That is why I believe that NBC Nightly News has to limit the reporters who are on MSNBC.

15. Metrodonmartin

Metrodonmartin News Exec

Appreciate your views. I just disagree. NBC News reporters are no more biased than any others. Maddow and the other opinion show hosts on MSNBC are getting record numbers. Especially good in the demo. NBC is delighted for that. MSNBC has refocused during the day to basically the NBC News Channel. Evenings are opionion shows. Record ratings on both dayparts. My NBC News colleagues in management are very happy and their research is a majority of positives for the first time in the history of the cable network.

16. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

So, how do you feel about Fox News?

17. Robin Red

Robin Red Primary Anchor

Biased revisionists

KRAP-TV, RJP and mre29 like this.