1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Registration and sign in using a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account is temporarily unavailable. Please see this post for details.
    Dismiss Notice

CBS and Viacom seeking to merge... again

Discussion in 'General TV' started by CRThell, Jan 12, 2018.

1. atlnews2

atlnews2 News Director

2. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

She's willing to destroy CBS to get what she wants, isn't she?

3. jb542

jb542 AM Anchor

100%. She has no idea what she is doing. She wants CBS and Viacom to merge. Viacom is trash and Les doesn't want it.

4. justin2kx

justin2kx Weekend Anchor

5. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

Based on this list, I'd say Paramount Pictures and its content library would be the only part really worth having.

atlnews2 and Spectrum27 like this.
  6. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

Don't forget Nickelodeon! Kids' content is tightly controlled, and for good reason.

Spectrum27 likes this.
  7. oknewsguy

oknewsguy News Director

I don't blame Moonves one bit he's even built his own streaming services like CBS All Access, CBSN and CBS Sports HQ yet Redstone thinks that CBS (and Moonves) cannot survive unless they remerge with Viacom? Makes absolutely zero sense to me

Northerner, atlnews2 and Spectrum27 like this.
  8. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

I considered saying something about cable channels, but decided to keep it simple for that post.

That said, I imagine CBS would want some of the cable channels -- Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, TV Land, and Paramount Network. BET can (and should) be sold off to a minority owner, while MTV and VH-1 can be packaged either with CMT or BET for sale or just put out of their misery. (Some of their digital "children" should definitely be shut down. What's the point of a channel for music videos when there's YouTube?)

Former Member 207 and Spectrum27 like this.
  9. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

Does Bob Johnson have the money to buy BET back? Might a consortium with a famous "front" member buy it?

I really don't know what the fate of MTV might be. It feels like it's the Myspace of TV.

10. Georgie56

Georgie56 Happy Warrior

The new management at MTV is trying to bring back music content to the channel, which is why TRL was revived.

11. TSSZNews

TSSZNews Primary Anchor

#71 TSSZNews, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. Eat News

Eat News Station Group CEO

Well Sonny...
    At this rate if these Bozo's keep this up...someone just might break a hip.

Make sure you get me video when the dentures go flying.

bammy99 likes this.
  13. RJP

RJP Graphics Hub Manager

So all this is because of the Redstones?

14. jb542

jb542 AM Anchor

Les is doing a great job running CBS. Viacom needs CBS more. CBS doesn't need Viacom to "survive". The board meeting is at 5pmET today

Spectrum27 likes this.
  15. jb542

jb542 AM Anchor

16. mre29

mre29 AM Anchor

I'm more interested in how long he'll be out of a job, should that happen.

Northerner likes this.
  17. KentBrockman

KentBrockman I Report, You Decide.

Redstone will DESTROY CBS and the hard work its made trying to claw its way out of the ratings and financial hell that nearly destroyed it in the early 1990s.

THIS is what was CBS, at their lowest point:

When you have to start relying on sitcoms featuring Fran Drescher and Cybill Shepherd to hopefully pull you out of the ratings basement.

Ditching Moonves and Co. who largely rebuilt CBS and turned it into the powerhouse it is now is counterproductive.

Not to mention, look how desperate the Viacom networks have been getting for viewers lately. Most of their channels are irrelevant at this point, including but not limited to TV Land who went from being a MeTV/AntennaTV-like channel to now pandering to millennials, young women, and those who have poor taste in comedy.

The only channels in the Viacom portfolio I can still see as slightly relevant are Nickelodeon and Comedy Central because they are niche channels, but even those channels are less relevant because kids are not watching TV anymore when they can watch YouTube. Again, YouTube and Netflix are killing the relevancy of channels like Comedy Central. There was nothing wrong with Spike, and if anyone believes Paramount Network will survive I assure you that it won't. The marketplace is too saturated with general entertainment channels. Why would I watch an unknown Paramount Network when I can watch all my favorite shows on FX and FXX? WE TV is bringing back Bridezillas, that should tell you how the general entertainment format is working for them.

And then you have former music channels that are completely irrelevant and are trying to be general entertainment channels.

A CBS under Redstone would mean a return to shit. In an already oversaturated media landscape and in an increasing cable-cutting, streaming world; the old term "less is more" applies here. Viacom has made zero investment in streaming platforms, and sees the error in their ways by keeping all their eggs in their terrestrial basket. Now they want CBS to bail them out?

Haha yeah, good luck. You're on, CBS.

Eat News, justin2kx and NEOMatrix like this.
  18. NEOMatrix

NEOMatrix aka Raycom's God of Destruction

Years later, UniMas will have better ratings than CBS. :p

19. channel2

channel2 Primary Anchor

I'm under the impression that at this point Nickelodeon is largely a '90s nostalgia brand. I have seen more merchandise pertaining to Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy (though who knows whether that's gonna dry up), Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold! and CatDog than anything they've got on the air now that's not SpongeBob or TMNT.

I do wonder if Comcast or somebody won't just snap it up at the first opportunity though.

Spectrum27 likes this.