At&t sports networks Root Sports

Discussion in 'Sport Center' started by D Dwayne, Oct 12, 2016.

1. A3N

A3N LIVE

Not to offend anyone, but you'd have to be pretty dumb and/or not a regular sports viewer to confuse AT&T Sportsnet with Comcast Sportsnet. The use of "Sportsnet" is not exclusive to any one entity. Also, before Root Sports came to Seattle, there was FOX Sports Net (FSN) Northwest.

And the problems facing [Spectrum] Sportsnet LA as well as CSN Houston have ZERO to do with their branding name. It was about $$ and distribution.

Also, if the Mariners had OK'd the name change to AT&T Sportsnet, they'd be using that right now. However, they own a majority stake in the channel along with AT&T so the team decides how they operate the channel.

CircleSeven and 24994J like this.
  2. D Dwayne

D Dwayne Assignment Editor

I feel the same how can you confuse the two lol

A3N likes this.
  3. WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10 Troglodyte Homunculus

Sorta. The remaining Comcast SportsNets are hard branding themselves as "CSN" these days and if what we've seen in the Bay Area is any indication of things to come, it'll all be moot in the future.

4. okcnewsman

okcnewsman Managing Editor

I mean you'd think the Mariners would do like what they did in Houston after Comcast SportsNet Houston became Root Sports did the Houston area viewers became confused between "Root Sports Southwest" and "Fox Sports Southwest"? No they didn't but now that's known as "AT&T SportsNet Southwest" that's a moot point.

Don't be surprised if NBC does indeed rebrand the remaining RSNs to "NBC Sports Northwest", "NBC Sports Chicago", "NBC Sports Mid-Atlantic" and "NBC Sports Philadelphia" more than likely by the start of the NHL season.

However the question mark becomes does SportsNet New York rebrand to "NBC Sports New York" or do they do like what's happened in Seattle and stick with it's current name?

5. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AM Anchor

I liked the graphics with the original look, but I severely disliked the MLB score graphic they just got rid of. I always considered it more of an "interim" look since the score graphic didn't match the rest of the package.

Eyewitness News-man and 24994J like this.
  6. WCAUTVNBC10

I don't think it'll be this year. Maybe next year for the start of football season. With NBC having the Super Bowl this year, they may or may not be up for a graphics refresh (although I hope not cause I love current look). If they are, they'd probably would want to hold off rebranding the RSNs til then.

As for SNY, with the Mets being the majority owner of that network, I doubt they would adopt the NBC Sports brand. They didn't incorporate the peacock into their logo when the group was rolled into NBC Sports so I don't see anything changing there.

7. A3N

A3N LIVE

What are you talking about???
    FOX Sports Southwest never serviced Houston/sports. It was FOX Sports Houston, which shutdown due to losing the Rockets and Astros television rights to Comcast Sportsnet Houston. CSN then went into bankruptcy due to distribution and money problems. AT&T eventually purchased the network out of bankruptcy.

Well the Mets have been having money problems for a while now, so they may eventually sell their stake in the network to recoup some cash. Hey, if the Yankees sold a majority stake of YES to FOX, then i'm sure the Mets are exploring the idea as well.

8. okcnewsman

okcnewsman Managing Editor

Did you read my post? I said clearly
    I said that did the HOUSTON area VIEWERS became CONFUSED between ROOT SPORTS SOUTHWEST AND FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST? NO THEY DIDN'T! Where did I say that FOX Sports Southwest even serviced the Houston area? I didn't, clearly you didn't take the time to read my post because I do not have "Stupid" written on MY forehead!

9. ABC 7 Denver

ABC 7 Denver News Music Connoisseur

Let's thank our good friends at Troika for this design.

ShawnHill1, DonDonP1, Raymie and 2 others like this.
  10. A3N

A3N LIVE

First you bring up possible viewer confusion in the Northwest over Roots Sports NW/AT&T Sportsnet name use, then you say that viewers wouldn't be confused over the use of SouthWest regarding Root Sports and FOX Sports. I brought up FOX Sports Houston (as the predecessor to CSN Houston, Root SW/AT&T SW), because YOU were talking about Houston area viewers, and I was pointing out that FOX Sports Southwest has nothing to do with Houston area sports.

11. Georgie56

Georgie56 Managing Editor

Nice to see the new graphics still haven't lost their "homer" touch from the ROOT era.

mrschimpf likes this.
  12. Bars-n-tone

Bars-n-tone Weekend Anchor

The SportsNet name won't be an issue for too long. Comcast/NBCU is indeed renaming them to "NBCSports {city}" throughout this year. Bay Area already did it, and the rest are working on the transition for fall.

#72 Bars-n-tone, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 8:26 PM
  13. Raymie

Raymie Station Group CEO

That package has really grown on me after seeing the full video. It's gorgeous.

mrschimpf likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew NBCUniversal News Group President

It was announced the California ones being renamed but I never saw an announcement for the others can someone share it?

15. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

That is correct. The California nets are technically in a trial run. Not that they're reverting to CSN, but they want to test the waters before executing a full rebrand.

16. A3N

A3N LIVE

I can't recall exactly, but I thought I read somewhere that Comcast needed to get approval for the name change from the teams. I know some teams have ownership stakes in the various CSN's, so it's not like Comcast can rubber-stamp every change they want done.

17. Bars-n-tone

Bars-n-tone Weekend Anchor

There hasn't been an announcement....but it's happening on a wider scale than California. I don't know how many of the CSNs are going and exactly when. Some will be fall, post-baseball as usual. Logo/naming change, not a graphics package change. Can't say more.

WCAUTVNBC10 likes this.
  18. WCAUTVNBC10

Not to hijack the thread but is TCN getting rebranded as well?

19. Spectrum27

Spectrum27 News Director

I'm surprised TCN is still around, honestly- ever since they eliminated their news and other programming, they're basically CSN2. I'd like to see Comcast relaunch it as, I dunno, a new version of PRISM? It could carry regional sports from Philly-area highschools and colleges, NBC-sourced sports programming, some backlog Universal shows and movies (PolyGram/Gramercy, Rogue, their more obscure Paramount titles, plus ExoSquad, Wing Commander Academy, and Earthworm Jim), and local events.

20. PAnderson1

PAnderson1 AM Anchor

High School football, basketball would be pretty nice to see on TCN, especially the Philadelphia Catholic League championships and rivalries.