1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC World News Tonight

Discussion in 'Network News' started by BehindNYNews, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

This is a general thread to discuss ABC World News.

I'll start it off by saying I find it very odd that during sweeps Diane would be on and off. She has been in and out for the past 2 weeks with David and George filling in.

2. 24994J

24994J Chief Meteorologist

It's a day ending in 'Y', there's a good chance Diane is off. At least it seems that way.

However, as someone who thoroughly enjoys David and George, her absence is rarely a bad thing to me.

3. HulkieD

HulkieD COUNT ON IT

I see her more days than not...

...well, when I'm watching 6 and I forget to change the tuner to CBS World News Tonight With Scott Pelley. (ABC World News has no world news, so I'm not calling it that out of respect to Peter. Good Evening America is what they air at 6:30pm.)

4. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

I'm just gonna say for anyone else who will want to start talking about this again, there is a thread on this in, "Network News", lets not turn this thread into that again.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/12966-abc-world-news-fluff/page-2

I will say though, I enjoy ABC's Good Evening America.

5. mountainave

mountainave Managing Editor

Byron Pitts in for David Muir anchoring World News tonight.

6. TellyGenic

TellyGenic Managing Editor

David's off to go to Ginger Zee's wedding tonight.

7. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

David is anchoring today. Rather than starting with the big screen behind him, they used the other desk angle with the TVs behind him. In face, the big screen wasn't seen at all tonight. I wonder if they are doing some studio updates for David's move to the WN anchor desk.

8. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

Well, I was right (sorry to be so blatant). They got a new screen behind the anchor desk. You can see it on my twitter account, @BehindNYNews. Very nice!

9. 24994J

Seeing how little Sawyer's broadcast uses the screen (now screens), this is definitely an investment in Muir.

10. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

Completely agree. Nearly every time David anchors, they start with something on the screen(s). This is certainly for David. Could also help 20/20.

I am hoping they remove the newsroom parts of the set on the sides though. I am not a huge fan of that. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more updates to the set over the next month before David takes over. Hoping for a new desk too. The current one just doesn't seem to fit with the set anymore.

But love the new screen!

11. 24994J

In regards to the desk, absolutely. Up until the new monitor wall tonight, the Nightline/Weekend GMA side of the set was certainly the best looking part of the room.

12. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

An NBC Nightly News type desk would work great at ABC.
    ----
    I have to say, I am going to sincerely miss Diane, but I am getting super excited for David's move to the chair!

13. wabceyewitness

wabceyewitness Managing Editor

Haven't seen it on TV yet but judging from the pics it looks great! Reminds me of the last set that Peter anchored from. They should bring back the circular anchor desk, too.

14. morningnewsexecutive

morningnewsexecutive Assignment Editor

15. BehindNYNews

BehindNYNews Analyst

There are 2 questions that continue to be on my mind. I wonder when Diane will be leaving and when we will find out who replaces David on the weekend.

Could it be like when Ginger left weekend GMA and they will have rotating anchors for a while and eventually choose one or will they choose one in September?

16. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Is there any specific reason why they don't use Time Square for weekend GMA?

17. 24994J

ABC News has to put quarters in the meter at Times Square every hour they use the studio.

18. rkolsen

rkolsen A Member of Sinclair Broadcast Group

Call me crazy but I would want my morning show to broadcast on the weekend from a tourist trap
    like Time Square rather than at Rockefeller Center where you could draw a much bigger crowd than during the weekday.

19. MorningNews

MorningNews News Director

I don't necessarily remember GMA Weekend utilizing the outside aspect of the Time Square studies much. In fact they rarely broadcast from the downstairs portion so it's not like they necessarily are missing the studios on the weekends.

20. mountainave

mountainave Managing Editor

What do you mean? GMA broadcasts from the downstairs portion of the Times Square studio and GMA Weekend broadcasts from ABC HQ.