KSWB new set

A3N

After more than a decade with elements of the old WB era set (early 2000's) and a refresh in 2008 when they switched affiliation, KSWB is in the process of building a new set. The set has been demolished completely and the studio is gutted clean. Demolition pics can be seen here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUKEo5bCUAAGYMW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUKE16gCAAAk-H4.jpg

The 2008 refresh consisted of adding some wavy paneling and new desks. There were quite a few pieces recycled from their early 00's set from when they were a WB affiliate. Some pics of their temporary set up below:

capture_20130914_220308_zpsb4392963.jpg

capture_20130914_220625_zpsc613cfc3.jpg

It's about time. They have a little more space than I thought in that studio. Hopefully we get something good!

That added space came as result of the newsroom moving upstairs. I believe that the beige colored floor is where the old newsroom used to be. But after 5 years as a FOX affiliate, I guess they felt it was time to freshen up the look.

I am hoping for something similar to that KSL set that BDI did. Tribune does have some history with using BDI and is they are a local company...

http://www.broadcastdesign.com/hot-designs/news-sets/ksl/#.UjaJDtKsg6Y

If im not mistaken, the 2008 refresh was done by BDI and KTLA's set is also a BDI job. So, I can definitely see them going with BDI. I just hope that they can finally ditch the separate anchor format and stick both of them at the desk.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope that they can finally ditch the separate anchor format and stick both of them at the desk.

+1, x1000. Having the anchors on both sides of the studio was so strange, and really made the newscasts feel like boring, single-anchor shows.

+1, x1000. Having the anchors on both sides of the studio was so strange, and really made the newscasts feel like boring, single-anchor shows.

It was a stupid experiment to begin with and many people tuned out because of the format/content. It looks like they plan on sticking with the traditional anchor format, but we shall see if it's just temporary due to them being on a temp set.

It was a stupid experiment to begin with and many people tuned out because of the format/content. It looks like they plan on sticking with the traditional anchor format, but we shall see if it's just temporary due to them being on a temp set.

Something else I would like for the new studio to have are some standup locations near the desk for reporters to utilize when doing in studio reporting. This would allow for some panoramic studio shots that the previous studio setup didn't allow. And also space at the desk for the weather person. This whole time, we've never seen the anchors and weather person in the same shot.

• 3 weeks later...

So KSWB debuted their new set today and it looks pretty nice, they are still using the separate anchor format for the most part. One anchor begins the newscast from the main desk and the other is to the right at the secondary desk. Here are a few pics, more pics in the album section of Sets and Graphics...

capture_20131017_161707_zpsca5b586e.jpg

capture_20131017_161721_zpsdc50ca9a.jpg

It's better than what was there before, but still relatively unimpressive. Curious to see if there is any interview/demonstration space the morning show might unveil tomorrow.

I agree. I wasn't expecting a set like WCBS' or WNBC's, this is KSWB we're talking about. At least they were allowed to get a new set with all the things going on at Tribune. If they had employees working on a new set, then you know it was on the cheap. Either way, better than the recycled mess that preceded it, but still leaves something to be desired. On a side note, the blue panels behind the anchors seems to be a projection screen since it had some blue and red stripes rotating.

They seemed so tight huddled at the closing shot just now. The desk is obviously meant for 2 anchors and not a 4 anchor shot. The desk is even so low. Did they even give a tour or tease shots with the jib cam earlier?

They seemed so tight huddled at the closing shot just now. The desk is obviously meant for 2 anchors and not a 4 anchor shot. The desk is even so low. Did they even give a tour or tease shots with the jib cam earlier?

There doesn't seem to be a platform, which would explain why the desk looks low. No tour, not even a mention of the new set. .

It's better than what was there before, but still relatively unimpressive. Curious to see if there is any interview/demonstration space the morning show might unveil tomorrow.

I really hope there is more to this set. I will say it is the first day and the morning show does do more with the set.

Well they did show the new couch area when I was watching at 6a. It has the control room as a backdrop (which means it is where the old main desk was) which I find really strange. I guess what's bothering me most about this set (and the previous one) is the lack of a good back drop. Also, I wish all the monitors the use looked more permanent. Maybe they should have put them all together to make a cool video wall. Although the set is a major upgrade, it still could have been much better.

There doesn't seem to be a platform, which would explain why the desk looks low. No tour, not even a mention of the new set. .

Well some people would argue that's a good thing, since I've seen many a comments of criticism from viewers who are annoyed or whatever not that their station decided to dedicate 3 or so minutes to a story about their set, when they could've gotten an actual piece of news in that time.

Anywho, what the hell is with that power grid looking thing behind the TV there in that wide shot?

Eh, I don't hate it; but I do agree that it's a little underwhelming. The last set was so dark and dreary that anything slightly brighter is an improvement.

The main desk was definitely designed for two people—if they're using it with only one anchor and the other off at that secondary desk, it'll look totally weird. I hope they're not doing that in everyday practice.

Eh, I don't hate it; but I do agree that it's a little underwhelming. The last set was so dark and dreary that anything slightly brighter is an improvement.

The main desk was definitely designed for two people—if they're using it with only one anchor and the other off at that secondary desk, it'll look totally weird. I hope they're not doing that in everyday practice.

They're back to their stupid ways with the anchor format. I thought it would end with the new set, but nope. I think that this particular format is the idea of the news director- whom previously was at KTLA and took over KSWB before they switched to FOX. In regards to the blue panel thing behind the monitor on the right side...I don't know what it is. a piece of plexiglass? It looks weird and out of place there, it doesn't even go down the the bottom and there is a white version on the left side of the desk. I also wanted to point out how crappy the black area behind the anchor desk looks. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be some kind of colored paneling or if the projection screen runs to the bottom- either way, it looks bad.

In regards to the blue panel thing behind the monitor on the right side...I don't know what it is. a piece of plexiglass? It looks weird and out of place there, it doesn't even go down the the bottom and there is a white version on the left side of the desk. I also wanted to point out how crappy the black area behind the anchor desk looks. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be some kind of colored paneling or if the projection screen runs to the bottom- either way, it looks bad.

It almost looks like a power generator.

Looks like FX was who designed their set since they retweeted someone's comment about the set.

So the new layout goes like this...The anchor desk is where the old weather wall green screen used to be. The sports desk used to be where the old stand up second anchor desk used to be (you can see the old edit bay rooms in the pic below) and the weather desk right now with the red pop out wall is where they go behind to sneak into the back lot while the new green screen is where the old "loft interview set" was. Now it makes sense with the couch is where the old anchor desk was with the control room behind it.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BW57t17CEAAk8aj.jpg#twimg

Archived