KSWB has new graphics

Bsean

KSWB debuted new graphics this morning. Not sure how I feel about them yet. The only thing I can say about them right now is that a new set should have accompanied these graphics. Take a look:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/07/29/driver-plunges-off-of-cliff-and-lives/#axzz2aSAUBdoP

The weather graphics did not change as they were updated not too long ago:

http://fox5sandiego.com/weather/#axzz2aSAUBdoP

It's already been discussed in the WXMI thread a couple of days ago. They are the third station to have received the new Tribune graphics being rolled out at all of its Fox affiliates.

Sorry, I didn't realize.

It's already been discussed in the WXMI thread a couple of days ago. They are the third station to have received the new Tribune graphics being rolled out at all of its Fox affiliates.

Sooner FOX43 gets this pkge, the better. Probably August when WPMT FOX 43 News First at 4 premieres.

-- Matt

I still really don't understand the logic in aligning your news brand with FNC's, especially if you're not an O&O and don't have to...

In certain markets that have a more conservative lean, being tied to Fox News Channel by viewers can be an asset.

Of course, in markets that go the other way and don't have O&Os (Denver, San Francisco), stations have specifically tried to not be connected to FNC.

It's not a good thing to be connected to FNC IMO because you do have idiots out there who do associate Fox with Fox News Channel. Just the name "Fox" is all you need to get people to associate you with FNC (well, then again there are people who think

. Whatever, I guess).

This excerpt from an interview with KDVR's Eli Stokols says it all:

WW: How much of this backlash is a result of the misconception that Fox News and Fox31 are one and the same?

ES: It's a common misconception. The idea that our local station, because it's Fox31, has to do with Fox, and that Rupert Murdoch signs my paycheck and tells me what to say, it cuts both ways. A lot of people don't watch us because of that, and a lot of people do watch us because of that. That's not something we're ever going to be able to overcome. The Fox brand is so huge, and we try to make sure that the people who watch us know that we're transparent and accurate and report the facts and are fair and -- wink, wink -- balanced.

It's not a good thing to be connected to FNC IMO because you do have idiots out there who do associate Fox with Fox News Channel. Just the name "Fox" is all you need to get people to associate you with FNC (well, then again there are people who think

. Whatever, I guess).

It doesn't matter. Even folks were confusing KTVU with Fox News and as we all know, KTVU uses the Fox brand the least amount possible (much to Fox's chagrin).

Just like the guy from KDVR said, it's impossible for KDVR or KTVU to overcome the confusion people have between them and Fox News.

I actually think it's a nice graphics package and something that is long overdue for stations like KTXL, WXIN, WITI, WDAF, and my local Fox station KTVI.

I can't wait until they get it. They haven't gotten a graphics refresh since they went HD back in 2009. Same with WDAF and their godawful graphics package.

^^ I don't think that's necessarily true with KTVU. Most headlines that I saw on a national level referred to the station as "KTVU." Some identified it only as a "San Francisco TV station," while some reports that really wanted to screw with their reputation brought in the Fox connection. Though in the Bay Area (and let's be honest— only the local market counts anyway), I don't think anybody thinks KTVU is owned or controlled by Fox. This is mostly due to the fact that they've had a reputation of being the best local news outlet in town decades before Fox even existed, and also for the reason that aside from a brief period in the late 90s and early 2000s, they've kept the Fox brand far far away from their news brand for the entire time. The pilot name fiasco was a surprise for most people in the area because KTVU is the best of the best, not because they have some purported direct connection to Murdoch's brain stem.

KDVR is different in that they were a Fox upstart, and even after their sale, they've never tried to distance the Fox part away from their news brand. Visually, they've broken away from the Fox look, yes, but the "Fox" name is still in their branding. While I do think they are for the most part a quality news outlet, they are by no means at the level of KTVU. They've improved their news product and toned down the hyped-up Fox feel in their newscasts in recent years, but many people still vividly remember the darker times in KDVR's history when Tom Martino was an "investigative reporter" who openly received compensation to endorse certain businesses on the air, among other things that made them tough to watch.

So I agree that KDVR has a harder battle in eschewing their 'Foxiness,' but it certainly is a lot easier now that they don't have 1) the Fox box logo; 2) inane Fox Alerts; and 3) Tom Martino and Ron Zappolo et al. I think that any Fox affiliate that wants to distance itself from the Fox News brand is better off forming an identity that has a strong local connection (which is how I feel about most local news branding in general), but it takes time (as shown by KTVU) and is easier said than done.

I can't wait until they get it. They haven't gotten a graphics refresh since they went HD back in 2009. Same with WDAF and their godawful graphics package.

Yeah...with their usage of, of all things in the world, Century Gothic as their primary font. It used to be something else, but why they changed it...who knows. Not to mention their old Fox O&O open (the most recent ones that the O&O's had) that matches absolutely nothing else in their package.

Yeah...with their usage of, of all things in the world, Century Gothic as their primary font. It used to be something else, but why they changed it...who knows. Not to mention their old Fox O&O open (the most recent ones that the O&O's had) that matches absolutely nothing else in their package.

Definitely not Century Gothic. But if it was, it actually wouldn't look bad. I actually like WDAF's look outside the open. The new Tribune look that they're rolling out is OK but it should be up to the stations if they want to use it. WXIN and WXMI do a good job with the look. KSWB could use it I guess, but I absolutely despise that station so I won't go further... They give this otherwise good look a bad name...

OLD:

bagu.png

CURRENT:

opmt.png

And actually, this is the graphics package WDAF is currently using. You'll notice though, there's no opener, which is where the (bastardized) version of the Fox O&O opener comes in. I don't know why they couldn't have just gone with KDVR's version of the O&O look. WITI also used it at one point (but with their own opener and lower thirds plus different fonts). But the Viz package is pretty nice, WDAF managed to take it and cheapen it a little (note the lack of animations on the WDAF version). And of course Local TV had a policy of not outsourcing graphics (all their stations graphics are in-house jobs, except WDAF, but this had already been made anyways).

Well whether that's Century Gothic or not, I still think it looks bad and the previous font was much better. And KDVR came out with their look after WDAF did if I remember correctly.

One thing I can't stand though is their ticker. It literally ticks.

• 8 months later...

KSWB has been updating their graphics over the last couple of weeks. They moved the time/temp info from the logo to the left side of the logo. Now in the former time/temp space, text scrolls between San Diego and News - HD. And a crawl has been added. Are any of the other Fox Tribune stations using any of this stuff?

I wonder when will KFOR get new graphics, set, and theme song?

PLEASE BE ON WDAF!!!! PLEASE GOD!

Does anyone know when the changeover could or will begin?

Please God, give WJW new everything (sets, gfx)!!!!!

These things take time, people, especially on the planning end.

Besides, it hasn't even been a year yet since Tribune and LocalTV completed their merger.

PLEASE BE ON WDAF!!!! PLEASE GOD!

WDAF's updated package really doesn't look that bad at all. It's simple, conservative package with just enough flair to make it eye catching. I rather enjoy them for the most part. (still not a big fan of the L3 and especially the ticker).

These things take time, people, especially on the planning end.

Besides, it hasn't even been a year yet since Tribune and LocalTV completed their merger.

well it's time for KFOR to get new set, and theme song I like the graphics, but the problem is that they've been using that set, and theme song since about a year or 2 before I was born, the only change in the set since 1997 has been that they closed off the set in its own space prior to Oak Hill Capital acquiring the stations then owned by New York Times

• 9 months later...

These popped up on KSWB tonight. Not sure if they're a tweak of the current graphics package or if it's a completely different one. They were previously using the FOX [so (city name) campaign] graphics for programming line up.

capture_20150213_233306_zpsjkcsfcqc.jpg

capture_20150213_233307_zpsnc33wymk.jpg

capture_20150213_233235_zpslmybutk2.jpg

capture_20150213_233315_zpsadttyska.jpg

These popped up on KSWB tonight. Not sure if they're a tweak of the current graphics package or if it's a completely different one. They were previously using the FOX [so (city name) campaign] graphics for programming line up.

capture_20150213_233306_zpsjkcsfcqc.jpg

capture_20150213_233307_zpsnc33wymk.jpg

capture_20150213_233235_zpslmybutk2.jpg

capture_20150213_233315_zpsadttyska.jpg

KTLA uses something similar to this for promo endtags.

Archived