Meet the "Digital Mic Flag"

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by Weeters, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Weeters

Weeters
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Just when you thought broadcasters couldn't find anywhere else to shove LCD screens, ABC Sports debuts the "Digital Mic Flag".

[yt]dkEbpNqLqSY[/yt]
    The mic flag uses three mini OLED screens better known as "Video Name Tags" by their manufacturer, the Recom Group. According to the product's web site, the device features 2GB of onboard memory, making it possible to store two hours of video on the device, or hundreds of still images, and run for 6-10 hours before needing to be recharged. Multiple playlists can be configured, making them useful in a broadcast news environment where stations may produce newscasts for two different stations.

This all comes at a price though, just one of these mic flags will set you back $598. In addition, the device looks rather clunky in it's current form, and the screens appear to sometimes lose sync of each other (though this may be intentional on the video). Though if the concept takes off, these issues could all be easily fixed in a future version.

2. KRGV5

KRGV5
    Expand Collapse
    Reporter

I doubt you can use that during "Weather" related reports. So it's essentially worthless and I can see how that thing can break so easily because we all know how Stations treat microphones. Not very good.

3. lazynetjunkie

lazynetjunkie
    Expand Collapse
    News Director

Yeah.. I see every station out there jumping to buy these things (sarcasm). Most stations are now trying to go the save money and not waste money on things.. Heck, many are too cheap to replace the already banged up standard mic flags they currently have and just use tape to keep them together. Plus, the way I see mics/mic flags treated at the stations with the constant banging and thrown around, these wouldn't last a single day. I like the double sided sticky foam touch on that 3 sided one on the video..

I'm sure I could rig one of those 3 sided digital mic flags with some of my old Droid phones laying around..

4. Raymie

Raymie
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

I saw that during the presentation of the NBA Finals trophy and was just wowed. But one figured it would come to this.

5. Oprah

Oprah
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Contributor

someone needs to hack one of these and troll.

1 person likes this.
  6. JrNewsIntern

JrNewsIntern
    Expand Collapse
    Weekend Anchor

Just take those digital photo album keychains they sell at the dollar store and glue them to a standard mic flag...

7. 24994J

24994J
    Expand Collapse
    Chief Meteorologist

BINGO! :D

8. ctmajka

ctmajka
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

My first thought when I saw them was "lolwut?"

Yes, but no.

9. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

It doesn't look like ESPN figured out how to display their logo nicely on those screens; it looks rather squished and hard to make out.

10. Michael Evans

Michael Evans
    Expand Collapse

This just gave the networks another revenue stream for advertising.....I can imagine Pepsi and others would pay bank to have their logo switching with ABC's.