KGTV newsroom remodel and new set coming soon?

Discussion in 'Sets & Studios' started by A3N, Aug 21, 2012.

1. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

Stumbled across this today, but KGTV along with its sister station WRTV Indy are getting their newsrooms remodeled. It was way overdue, as I have mentioned before, they had a 10 news logo tacked on the wall from the early 90's (it was quite visible during live reports from the newsroom). In the slideshow posted on their site, there are pictures of the tearing down of desks, carpeting, etc. But what was interesting, in picture #4, the backdrop shows some blue pillars similar to that of WPTV. Those were not there before. The pillars look to be in another studio at KGTV (there are 2 studios), previously it was used as their main set before they got their current black walnut [set] in 2006.

edit: my mistake, in seeing pictures from their 2003 set, the pillars/framing was there but now obviously it was more visible, also when they stopped using that set, the desk was taken out and donated to a local college, but the area was used for other purposes. So in essence, a few months ago, that space was not this clean.

Edit II: In seeing other pictures, it seems like everything has been gutted including the former set, and anchor Steve Atkinson mentioned that they would be in a temporary trailer (being used as the newsroom) for two months.

http://www.10news.co...241/detail.html

2. MidwestTV

MidwestTV
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmm...so now we know that Scripps (in a way) is sort of pulling a Comcast and investing some serious money to their stations.

So virtually in order now, that's WXYZ, KJRH, WPTV, WRTV, WEWS, and now KGTV. That's six of their nine stations, which only leaves WCPO (idk what their looks like/how fresh it is), KSHB (who doesn't really need one) and WMAR (who needs it worst of all).

3. RGSJenkins

RGSJenkins
    Expand Collapse
    Managing Editor

And KERO too.

4. TennTV1983

TennTV1983
    Expand Collapse
    Primary Anchor

If WPTV and WEWS are any indication, Scripps will be leaving its mark (literally) on the former McGraw-Hill stations when they're finished:

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/about_us/station_tours/video-new-set-almost-in-place (go to :44 mark of the video)

5. Charles

Charles
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

Maybe it was planned before the sale? The only reason that makes me think that's a possibility is because KMGH completely gutted and refurbished their newsroom last summer (and looks very nice now).

6. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

Hard to say, but McGraw-Hill was known to be a penny pinching company and did not want to invest [too much] into their stations. Which would explain why the newsrooms looked so old and banged up. How KGMH got the parent company to pony the money to do a newsroom remodel, is beyond me. That being said, the group was put up for sale in June of 2011, so who knows if the renovation(s) were in the works before the sale. When Scripps took over, there was an interview with one of the Scripps honchos and he mentioned that the newly acquired stations needed quite a bit of investment in equipment and facility maintenance to bring them up to par, so this just might be part of that.

7. SanDiegoSFTV

SanDiegoSFTV
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

i wonder who designed the set. the video states it was built in San Diego. =)

8. caliwxdude

caliwxdude
    Expand Collapse
    Primary Anchor

It's a BDI set. So to be more accurate, it was designed/pre-fabbed in Oceanside.

9. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

No new set according to anchor Steve Atkinson. Just an updated newsroom. He says that their set is only a few years old, hmmm try six.

10. MidwestTV

MidwestTV
    Expand Collapse

Wow. So is Scripps so "broke" that they've decided to just standardize EVERYTHING? Sets, music, graphics, all that bs? Just like Fox? Holy Hell...

and I still don't see the point of having the Scripps logo on there. It's HUGE on that WEWS set! They're essentially saying "you're our b!tch and do what we say."

Also now, upon seeing the photos that they posted, I really don't think that KSHB and KJRH, much less WXYZ, are going to have anything done to them now for a verrrryyyy long while. While KSHB's set is the oldest of those three, they just had all of their printed set graphics replaced last February when they re-branded and started using their call letters again on air. The only thing that really matches is the orange. WXYZ had theirs refreshed last year or the year before I believe and KJRH's was totally rebuilt around a year and a half ago.

At least there's some variety...I can't imagine though how that damn Scripps logo will look on air on that interview set!

11. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

So just to bump an old thread...Almost a year after remodeling their newsroom, KGTV is in the process of getting a new set. They're on a temp set right now which is tucked away in a corner where their interview set is/was located. I'll try to post some pics later.

12. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

13. MidwestTV

MidwestTV
    Expand Collapse

It'll be interesting to see if it ends up looking like WEWS and WPTV.

14. SanDiegoSFTV

SanDiegoSFTV
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

Wow that set was younger than KFMB's set. 10 News must be making bucks then after all that union mess they were thru and lost lots of money on advertisers and reporters/anchors. I'm guessing City College will be getting dibs on the news desk since they have good ties with KGTV. They already got the 80's desk and the recent BDI refresh desk. Might as well.

15. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

KGTV's set was installed in 2006 and KFMB's set was done in 2007, I believe. Either way, they must be doing well to justify a new set.

16. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

Here are some screen grabs of their temp set seen on tv:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ABC 7 Denver

ABC 7 Denver
    Expand Collapse
    News Music Connoisseur

With KCNC getting an new set and KGTV now replacing their 2006 set, KMGH will be getting a new set soon!

18. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

Really? Where did you hear that from?

19. ABC 7 Denver

ABC 7 Denver
    Expand Collapse
    News Music Connoisseur

Sorry. I should have added "probably", It's a hunch. A good one too.

20. A3N

A3N
    Expand Collapse
    LIVE

To be honest, KMGH and WRTV needed new sets more badly than KGTV did. Even though the set was 7 years old, it still looked really good. I suspect this new set has to do more with trying to get more viewers from KFMB, since both stations have been neck and neck at 11pm.