Ducis Rodgers will be joining 6ABC

Discussion in 'Philadelphia News' started by JULIUS, Jul 21, 2012.

1. JULIUS

JULIUS
    Expand Collapse
    Newsroom Intern

Laura Nachman reports: http://lauranachman.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/new-sports-anchor-at-6abc/

2. HulkieD

HulkieD
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly HulkieD

WOW.

That's a rather big major-market name going to 6. And it's another ESPN import. Given that Ducis has done sports on a major-market local station, I have a feeling he'll adjust better than Keith.

Not sure to read this though - if it's permanent, or if it's just ESPN helping out a station that needs sports people. They still need a third sports guy... but I doubt you make this hire to make him a third sports guy.

3. Geoffrey

Geoffrey
    Expand Collapse
    Managing Editor

I've worked with Ducis before. He's a great guy. Congrats to him!

4. AndrewPollard

AndrewPollard
    Expand Collapse
    A Toddler

Ducis made his debut tonight. He, to put it short, is much like Keith Russell, right down to the skin color. (not being offensive) But he is pretty good, and I would love to see him more.

5. TVNewsLover

TVNewsLover
    Expand Collapse
    AM Anchor

I disagree. He is nothing like Keith Russell personality wise. Keith was too over the top. Ducis is much more mellow.

6. HulkieD

HulkieD
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly HulkieD

I agree. Keith was over the top with the ESPN schtick. It felt like he was doing a routine and not just being himself on the set. (To be fair, a lot of ESPNers feel that way.)

Ducis is a hell of a lot more personable, mellow, and relaxed. I just saw him for the first time now and he seemed really natural, likeable, and funny. I have a feeling he's going to do VERY well in this market.

EDIT: Just checked, and the 6pm opens now mention Ducis. So he's now officially the main sports anchor at 6ABC. From what I've seen so far, they've made a wise move.

7. AndrewPollard

AndrewPollard
    Expand Collapse
    A Toddler

Okay I was wrong. Since both Keith and Ducis were both from ESPN (and both are black) I kinda assumed that they both have that loud-voice, nice-sense-of-humor shtick that other male personalities at ESPN have. Thanks for the disagreement.

8. TVNewsAnalyzer

TVNewsAnalyzer
    Expand Collapse
    Weekend Anchor

Keith Russell was trying to hard to make Jim Gardner Laugh when it was time for sports

9. TVNewsAnalyzer

TVNewsAnalyzer
    Expand Collapse
    Weekend Anchor

Yes Ducis is a lot more normal