• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
WISN-TV Milwaukee issued a statement saying that starting Tuesday, their newscasts will be broadcast from a temporary set while a new set with "major upgrades" is being constructed in time for the May sweeps.

Is HD news finally on the way for Milwaukee's former #1 station?:confused:

http://www.jsonline..../119615634.html

Edited by trev57, 11 April 2011 - 07:09 PM.

Weeters

Weeters

Station Group CEO

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts
It's about time, their current set is really starting to show it's age.

tw-804

tw-804

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • Locationnear Richmond, VA

Is HD news finally on the way for Milwaukee's former #1 station?

I thought they're always #1...

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

I thought they're always #1...

In the last ratings period their 10pm newscast fell to 3rd behind TMJ4 and WITI.

Weeters

Weeters

Station Group CEO

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts
Still on the main set this morning...

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Still on the main set this morning...

I emailed the author of the article and he said that the changes would start with the 5pm newscast. I'm guessing they still need time to finish constructing the temporary set.

Weeters

Weeters

Station Group CEO

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts
Yep, as of tonight they're in front of the RP screen on the UpFront set. Which is made up of parts of their previous sets. Kinda funny...

Their temporary chroma wall is really poorly lit...

Attached Files

Edited by Weeters, 12 April 2011 - 06:19 PM.

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
If we have to deal with this for the next few weeks, this new set better be really good. And they better go HD. :confused:

Weeters

Weeters

Station Group CEO

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

If we have to deal with this for the next few weeks, this new set better be really good. And they better go HD. :confused:

It's more than likely going to be the FX Group Hearst set.

http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wtae/
http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wcvb/
http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/kcra/

Something like those.

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

It's more than likely going to be the FX Group Hearst set.

http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wtae/
http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wcvb/
http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/kcra/

Something like those.

Good enough for me. At least we will finally have a station in Milwaukee that does HD news (hopefully) that actually has an HD studio.

It's also funny that there are people commenting on WISN's facebook page that they "LOVE" the new set...yes, the temporary UpFront set.

LoadStar

LoadStar

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 342 posts
Eh, I've seen a lot of temporary sets that are much worse. The instances when they have the weather and sports standing next to the anchor desk are extremely awkward, however.

And yeah, the lighting for the chroma wall is pretty bad as well - lot of glare coming off of Mark Baden's face. :confused:

jrh1985

jrh1985

Newsroom Intern

• Members
  • 35 posts

Good enough for me. At least we will finally have a station in Milwaukee that does HD news (hopefully) that actually has an HD studio.

It's also funny that there are people commenting on WISN's facebook page that they "LOVE" the new set...yes, the temporary UpFront set.

Where on their Facebook Page?

LoadStar

LoadStar

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 342 posts

:confused: I'm pretty sure that WTMJ's studio was designed with HD in mind.. and WITI's Studio B was almost certainly built for HD. (Yeah, WITI's studio A renovation was a budget saving mess, and in no way HD ready.)

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Where on their Facebook Page?

If you go to their wall and click on "Most Recent", it's in there somewhere.

:confused: I'm pretty sure that WTMJ's studio was designed with HD in mind.. and WITI's Studio B was almost certainly built for HD. (Yeah, WITI's studio A renovation was a budget saving mess, and in no way HD ready.)

What I meant was that when you think of "state of the art HD studio", you don't think of WTMJ or WITI. Yes, both look good in HD, but they are not full HD sets. You don't see much HD equipment other than a 60" plasma (in the case of WITI). But thats just my opinion.

Ntropolis

Ntropolis

News Director

• Forum Contributor
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern NC

Eh, I've seen a lot of temporary sets that are much worse.

Like this "let's take the desk/backdrop and put it in front of a plain black wall"

Posted Image
Posted Image

Weeters

Weeters

Station Group CEO

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

What I meant was that when you think of "state of the art HD studio", you don't think of WTMJ or WITI. Yes, both look good in HD, but they are not full HD sets. You don't see much HD equipment other than a 60" plasma (in the case of WITI). But thats just my opinion.

If I recall correctly, WITI's "Newscenter" set in Studio A is in fact designed for 16:9. It's just not very good looking in HD.

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

If I recall correctly, WITI's "Newscenter" set in Studio A is in fact designed for 16:9. It's just not very good looking in HD.

Sorry if I'm not making this clear. Yes, I understand that TMJ's studio and WITI's studios may have been designed with 16:9 in mind. BUT, when you think "state-of-the-art HD studios", you don't think WTMJ or WITI. IMO

trev57

trev57

Reporter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
For anyone interested, WISN has started posting pictures of the new set construction/old set demolition on their Facebook page.

LoadStar

LoadStar

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 342 posts
Interesting that they take so much care to strike the set. Is there a market for a used set, or do they just store the pieces in case they need to use parts of it again elsewhere at WISN?

alaskanews

alaskanews

Actually knows what he is talking about

• Forum Contributor
  • 512 posts

Interesting that they take so much care to strike the set. Is there a market for a used set, or do they just store the pieces in case they need to use parts of it again elsewhere at WISN?

Often they are donated to schools/universities.
I may be 11 News, but I'm 4 New York!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users