CBSSanFrancisco.com is up

Jess

While KYW is still busily plugging a nonexistent cbsphilly.com address during its newscasts, CBS has launched its combined TV/Radio site in San Francisco:

cbssanfrancisco.com

I have no idea how they'll fit that under the bug - they can barely fit cbsphilly.com under there. I was assuming they'd go with the simpler CBS Bay Area. They also apparently forgot that they run a CW station there.

While KYW is still busily plugging a nonexistent cbsphilly.com address during its newscasts, CBS has launched its combined TV/Radio site in San Francisco:

cbssanfrancisco.com

I have no idea how they'll fit that under the bug - they can barely fit cbsphilly.com under there. I was assuming they'd go with the simpler CBS Bay Area. They also apparently forgot that they run a CW station there.

Umm Shouldn't it be CBS Bay Area...San Francisco is no longer the largest and most powerful city in the Bay Area, it's San Jose and Silicon Valley. San Francisco just has the skyline, banks and tourist attractions. Unless they're referring to KPIX and KCBS's city of license. KRON realized that in the 70's.

CBS Philly...try CBSLosAngeles.com. KNBC also had NBCLosAngeles.com for a while before going to NBCLA.com.

Umm Shouldn't it be CBS Bay Area...San Francisco is no longer the largest and most powerful city in the Bay Area, it's San Jose and Silicon Valley. San Francisco just has the skyline, banks and tourist attractions. Unless they're referring to KPIX and KCBS's city of license. KRON realized that in the 70's.

CBS Philly...try CBSLosAngeles.com. KNBC also had NBCLosAngeles.com for a while before going to NBCLA.com.

Columbia Business School Alumni Club of the Bay Area already snagged the domain cbsbayarea.com. Maybe CBS could snag it back from them somehow..

If cbsbayarea.com is taken, then it makes sense they're going with that domain. It seemed weird at first because of all I've seen of San Francisco area stations, they take great pains to just describe the whole market as the "bay area". Hell, it's the name of the NBC station and the Comcast SportsNet station.

As far as the CW site goes, there's a link to it - and it's still using the CW-only template from a few years ago, ergo it's still a separate site. That's interesting, because CBS merged the duopoly CW/Indie sites into the more senior partner's site a few years back. You'd think they'd do that here.

The order also makes sense. They launch their top two markets first, then San Francisco - which is not so coincidentally the home of CBS-owned CNet. I'm still really sure CNet has some sort of a role in these new sites.

cbsbayarea.com redirects you to that site.. I'm sure with a few phone calls and some $$$, KPIX can get that domain.

You're Right...But calling it the Bay Area makes sense given the different cultural atmospheres of the cities. San Francisco being the historic urban city, Oakland being the industrial blue collar town, Santa Rosa and Napa Valley being the pastoral agricultural region, and San Jose being the suburban tech region, and bedroom communities like Marin, Contra Costa and San Mateo counties. You really cannot pinpoint the Bay Area into one great big city.

I wouldn't be surprised if WBZ's version ends up being called just WBZ.com, rather than CBSBoston.com, seeing that all of CBS's news/sport outlets in Boston have the WBZ calls (WBZ-TV, WBZ Newsradio 1030, and WBZ 98.5 The Sports Hub).

I wouldn't be surprised if WBZ's version ends up being called just WBZ.com, rather than CBSBoston.com, seeing that all of CBS's news/sport outlets in Boston have the WBZ calls (WBZ-TV, WBZ Newsradio 1030, and WBZ 98.5 The Sports Hub).

In addition, "CBS Boston" is better known locally as the Columbia Business School Alumni Club.

cbssanfrancisco.com

I have no idea how they'll fit that under the bug....

Looks like cbssf.com redirects there, so maybe they'll use that.

• 1 month later...

It will, unfortunately, be cbsboston.com. Expect it to launch this week. (Likely tomorrow).

Archived