4 Stations To Share Video

NewsJunkie247

I know it's a cost cutting measure, but when there are press conferences and interviews with like 10 station mics in each shot, surely it is logical to pool footage?

I know it's a cost cutting measure, but when there are press conferences and interviews with like 10 station mics in each shot, surely it is logical to pool footage?

I agree. I think more stations should do this, why should 5 stations be a 1 press conference. I mean I'm not saying that this should happen for each story but I think it is logical

I agree as well. Why should each station have individual video of the same press conference when they can just share the same footage? This agreement will be just for routine and breaking news stories, and there will still be individual footage from each station for some stories and of course for stories with a reporter at the scene. It is cost-effective and in a struggling economy, it is a logical move.

Dozens of markets across the country are doing this. It's very smart business. The pools will shoot footage and each station can do with the raw footage as they see fit. You are not going to see the exact same roll on each newscast.

The sooner many realize the media landscape is changing, the sooner the "I'll watch XYZ" out of spite will stop discrediting good posts/posters.

Okay, I do not see what is very unique here. For many years, the NY Stations operated a similar service especially during the overnight and weekends. It provided footage to all the stations . Like the current situation, it was events they all would normally go to, news conferences, fires, etc. It allowed the stations to concentrate the resources on the stories that differentiate themselves. Let's be real, do all the stations need to go to a routinely scheduled Bloomberg newsconference? Especially with little real news resulting? Let the reporters dig for background and use pool coverage to make the coverage more newsworthy. Why waste their time watching a big mouth speak? or flames shoot out of a roof when there is more to report. Maybe this will actually help out the stations in NY (most of them, My9 probably won't do news unless NJ makes a big stink again - which they should) by allowing them to be more investigative and find real news to differentiate itself. A house fire in Jackson Heights is not the means to do that.

What about WWOR? Are they included?

According to a report in today's Daily News, the local news service will be run by WWOR assistant news director Steve Linden, and because WWOR usually uses WNYW's footage and vice versa, they will probably be included.

I don't see a problem with this at all, especially on breaking news stories such as press conferences that every station is supposed to cover, Yes, while it may be about being different from one another, many people choose one specific channel to watch their news. After all its the news, and its the same for probably all of the channels, except for the exclusive reports and stories. Many people have their own personal favorite newscast, some watch WNBC some watch WCBS and some even watch WABC and despite changes that may go on, people still stick with their own stations, because its what they are familiar with and what they like. The average person is not gonna flip through different newscasts to see if the story is the same or what kind of video is being used, lol. People don't have time or even care for that in New York. The overall quality of the newscast is not gonna be affected by using the same raw footage, this is actually a good move for them, because it gives each station a chance to work harder and better on the stories which probably results in a better end product, thus saving a lot of time. And of course, when there are live reports, obviously its gonna be different, so its not really a harsh change its a very subtle change that the average viewer probably will not even see..

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good move business-wise, yes. But the stations should make sure this is where it ends. As soon as you allow this to happen, it may open further news-sharing agreements which then eventually lead to even more watering-down of local news and even less independent news gathering and competition going on.

Remember, competition is what drives each newsroom to be better.

Archived