Houston's CW39: News expands, but News Director, Anchor out; Hemberger to Weekends

WXmanTim

The Houston Chronicle reports this morning that changes are afoot at Houston's Tribune-owned CW affiliate.

News director Joe Nolan and anchor Sherri Williams are out - Nolan on June 27, Williams immediately - and anchor Alan Hemberger will move to weekends effective June 28th. The following Monday, the station will expand its signature 9:00pm newscast to one-hour with current weekend anchors Steve Simon and Mia Gradney at the helm.

• 2 weeks later...

More changes in the works: CW 39 is dropping it's current set of call letters, KHCW, for KIAH-TV (IAH is the FAA designator for Houston-Bush Intercontinental airport. Free of charge fun fact: HOU is the FAA designator for Houston-Hobby Airport) additionally it is rebranding to "39 News at Nine" later this summer.

More changes in the works: CW 39 is dropping it's current set of call letters, KHCW, for KIAH-TV (IAH is the FAA designator for Houston-Bush Intercontinental airport. Free of charge fun fact: HOU is the FAA designator for Houston-Hobby Airport) additionally it is rebranding to "39 News at Nine" later this summer.

I hope the station gets a new music package when they change the call letters and expand the 9:00 newscast.

Is this foreshadowing the death of the CW? This is odd, especially from a Tribune station...

Not really, the new management of Tribune (Sam Zell and his crew) isn't as supportive of the CW as the old management. Just look at KSWB. They hate the CW lineup and realize that it is dead weight for its affiliates. So I would expect we would see more changes like these down the road.

I'm happy Channel 9 has been branding as "WGN News" for their newscast since they brought the big-swirl 9 logo in 1993. I would love to see WGN dropping the CW logo on their local logo and call them "Chicago's Very Own, WGN-Channel 9". Keep the main logo as it is.

I agree with some of you that the CW could fold in '09. It seems after WWE will be moving to MyNetwork TV, CW conceeding the Sunday lineup to another company (which I really wished they would've give it to the affiliates), and they're new target to get more of a female demographic, The CW wouldn't last long. I hope this trend continues for the Tribune stations.

In my opinion..KHCW dropped the ball here. They had the opportunity to unseat KRIV FOX 26..the only problem is. FUNDING. As you can tell 39 throughout the years has had a shaky news department. Right before they started news again in 2000 it was a period of nine years. They did the right thing by bringing in Hemberger and Williams, an experienced Houston Anchor and an up and comer. CW39 though is now more of a shell of its former self than it was back in the 90's. Im just saying that for 39 to make major strides takes time and its going to take more than seven years. I know Ratings, Ratings, Ratings. But if you only have one or two Live Trucks in Market 10, that will not cut it here! All 39 needs is more funding in the news department and thats it.

Archived