Photo

Curses! Anchor Sue Simmons slips

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

IceManNYR

IceManNYR

News Director

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
Was Chuck supposed to read the second half of the update?
I thought most of those previews for 11pm were taped except for the one that runs 10 to 5min before the newscast?

NewsJunkie247

NewsJunkie247

News Director

• Members
  • 512 posts

Was Chuck supposed to read the second half of the update?
I thought most of those previews for 11pm were taped except for the one that runs 10 to 5min before the newscast?

Yes, I believe Chuck was supposed to read the second story in the promo. I think that is why Sue said what she said, because he missed his cue. Usually, most of the promos that air throughout the night are taped, like the 4 second promos, but I don't believe there was a promo 5-10 minutes before the newscast last night due to Medium being on, so that may have been why there was a live promo at 10:26.

Bucc

Bucc

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 259 posts
I found out more information: http://www.newsday.c...0,6752896.story

"An industry source confirmed yesterday that Simmons directed the expletive at her longtime co-anchor Chuck Scarborough, seated to her left when the "tease" for the 11 p.m. news aired just after 10:30; viewers couldn't see his reaction because a shot of a cruise ship was on screen when Simmons yelled, "What the -- -- are you doing?" at him."

"Sources also added Tuesday that Simmons had believed the "tease" -- an industry term for a brief cut-in that promotes a later broadcast -- was being taped. Scarborough, who looked distracted during the segment, also appeared as if they were in a rehearsal."

""It was supposed to be a pre-taped piece and wound up live," said one source. "She didn't know it was live and blurted that out." Industry sources say that Scarborough may have missed a cue, prompting Simmons' outburst."
Live Local Late-Breaking

News4LA

News4LA

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 184 posts
The Huffington Post still has the video up. Plus the apology video.

http://www.huffingto...r_n_101453.html

Vlad

Vlad

News Director

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
Chuck looked as if he was asleep or something during that video, so I don't blame her for getting angered, but I think she went over the line by saying "Fuck" in Local Television shocking many viewers probably, even if it is pre-taped, there is really no excuse for that especially if you've been on the air for so many years. But anyway we're all human, mistakes happen... I mean what common person does not say that word anyway, lol? Medium is a show that is "viewer discretion" advised so it is geared towards a "mature" audience...

I must add though, Listening to that clip over and over again though feels surreal, lol. Its shocking but yet funny at the same time, very unexpected of her.

I don't think that was really a good move on her behalf especially on a troublesome station that is already laying off and dismissing many of its staff. I'm not saying that they will definitely let her go for that as everyone makes mistakes, but I don't know, but New York is a zero tolerance city especially when millions of people could be watching. Many of us probably know that CBS 2 immediately had dismissed their reporter, Arthur Chi'en back in 2005, when he did the same... So I don't know how NBC 4 will react... Not to mention that she is the highest paid female anchor in the New York Market, and in a station that is already struggling with ratings, and known for its history of budget cutting, I wouldn't be surprised if WNBC management, used that as grounds for her termination...

-Vlad

Edited by Vlad, 13 May 2008 - 09:41 PM.

SBN 2 EYEWITNESS NEWS
www.sbn2.com

Dave Lampstein

Dave Lampstein

Administrator Emeritus

• Forum Contributor
  • 346 posts

I think she went over the line by saying "Fuck" in Local Television shocking many viewers probably, even if it is pre-taped, there is really no excuse for that especially if you've been on the air for so many years.

I don't know if you've ever spent time in a real TV station aside from just a school field trip, but you can't swing a dead cat without hearing someone saying "fuck".

Also you went on and on and I think I read something about her being terminated and using this as a reason. I doubt that...

This will blow over soon enough.
Site Founder & Co-Administrator

first on fox

first on fox

Keepin' It Kosher Dining Services Manager

• Moderators
  • 586 posts
And if I have this correctly, there won't be any FCC fines since this happened in the 10pm hour, so get that idea out of your head.

IceManNYR

IceManNYR

News Director

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
Sue was back and the 10:30pm news preview looked taped and was free of curses.
You need to remember that segment is usually taped, Chuck never read his part and that's why she said what she said.

WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10

Troglodyte Homunculus

• Forum Contributor
  • 1,255 posts

Sue was back and the 10:30pm news preview looked taped and was free of curses.
You need to remember that segment is usually taped, Chuck never read his part and that's why she said what she said.

Unfortunately the twelve year olds on this forum won't be able to ascertain what you have just said and will continue to bash her.
= Wasted Space =

stevieboy247

stevieboy247

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 592 posts
Do you guys think Sue will be suspended for that f-bomb incident? For example, look at this sports director from KSNW in Wichita, Kansas. he got two-days for dropping the f-bomb during a sports report.

NateinFLA

NateinFLA

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 505 posts
it could have been a mistake in master control--the wrong tease 'take' could have been loaded into the system, without the people realizing it until it aired....

I.E.--Shit happens. I can guarantee you most of your local anchors talk like that frequently, especially when they've had a long day and are tired...this is not a reason for her to be fired, she didn't intend to 'harm' the public...but, now that people will bitch and moan about it, they may end up 'suspending her' just to shut the complainers up for a few days.

Edited by NateinFLA, 13 May 2008 - 11:40 PM.

"Prompter, scroll-up!"

capsgm2002

capsgm2002

Reporter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Give Sue a break.

Ditto. I don't think one four-letter word is going to wreck the career of a respected news anchor in the number one market. Now what would the ABC7 fanboys say if Bill Ritter asked Liz Cho what the F*** she was doing during a news tease?

WAVY 10

WAVY 10

News Director

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Do you guys think Sue will be suspended for that f-bomb incident? For example, look at this sports director from KSNW in Wichita, Kansas. he got two-days for dropping the f-bomb during a sports report.

I wouldn't have wanted to hear that, but I certainly doubt WNBC will suspend Simmons.
Been too long, but I'm back.

rtmclaug

rtmclaug

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 291 posts
I highly doubt that Sue will be suspended for this. She sincerely apologized for it, and I hope that management will forgive her. We're all human. No one is perfect. Besides, I don't hear calls for her firing, anyway.

capsgm2002

capsgm2002

Reporter

• Members
  • 51 posts
Speaking of childish behavior, the yellow journalists at the New York Post try to attribute Sue's gaffe to drinking...

http://www.nypost.co...ller_110759.htm

NYNews

NYNews

News Director

• Members
  • 899 posts
So the Post seems to suggest that Sue curses regularly. To me the whole thing isn't a big deal. But I wonder what was Chuck's reaction? Imagine he replied "None of your ****ing business." That would have been funny.

WCAUTVNBC10

WCAUTVNBC10

Troglodyte Homunculus

• Forum Contributor
  • 1,255 posts
So she likes to hit the sauce. So do I. Big deal.
= Wasted Space =

Vlad

Vlad

News Director

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Ditto. I don't think one four-letter word is going to wreck the career of a respected news anchor in the number one market. Now what would the ABC7 fanboys say if Bill Ritter asked Liz Cho what the F*** she was doing during a news tease?

Well every management is different, and this is the first known time she's did that. In fact Bill Evans and Steve Bartelstein had argued over the air at one point, so its really nothing major. People have bad days and such and that shouldn't be grounds for termination. The point I made earlier was that WNBC is financially struggling as they supposedly have the highest paid local news team in America. So thats why I'm saying if they did let her go for budget cutting, which I highly doubt they would, they could use that incident as an alibi to her termination.

Sue is a well respected anchor known by veteran citizens of this city and loyal viewers. So that alone will make WNBC think twice, if they are even thinking of that.
SBN 2 EYEWITNESS NEWS
www.sbn2.com

NYNW

NYNW

MarketWatch

• Members
  • 70 posts

So the Post seems to suggest that Sue curses regularly. To me the whole thing isn't a big deal. But I wonder what was Chuck's reaction? Imagine he replied "None of your ****ing business." That would have been funny.

For two people that have been together for so long, I can only imagine what his response to her would have been like.
Len:...all that and more, next on...Together: Live at 5!--
New York News Watchers - NYNW.NET

luperm

luperm

Newsroom Intern

• Members
  • 3 posts

For two people that have been together for so long, I can only imagine what his response to her would have been like.

From the looks of it, Chuck snoozed through it...so he must be used to her behavior by now.