Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

Well, much in the same way with Palmer News Package awhile back... The LAST station to use Millennium 3 has dropped it.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,164

KYTV in Springfield, MO had used Millennium 3 since 1997, and just dropped it for "This is the Place" from Stephen Arnold Music.

Seems like the end of an era. NMSA says that there is one station left using it, a translator in Springfield, but it rebroadcasts KYTV so I am assuming that one hasn't been updated on the NMSA.

Truly sad. Millennium 3 was a fantastic package, 3.2 not so much, but the first one was fantastic. I know it sounds dated, like Palmer's other packages, but I am deeply saddened that KYTV dropped it for a mediocre crap package that is TITP.

R.I.P. Millennium 3

Well, much in the same way with Palmer News Package awhile back... The LAST station to use Millennium 3 has dropped it.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,164

KYTV in Springfield, MO had used Millennium 3 since 1997, and just dropped it for "This is the Place" from Stephen Arnold Music.

Seems like the end of an era. NMSA says that there is one station left using it, a translator in Springfield, but it rebroadcasts KYTV so I am assuming that one hasn't been updated on the NMSA.

Truly sad. Millennium 3 was a fantastic package, 3.2 not so much, but the first one was fantastic. I know it sounds dated, like Palmer's other packages, but I am deeply saddened that KYTV dropped it for a mediocre crap package that is TITP.

R.I.P. Millennium 3

That translator is K15CZ/KSPR 33.2 - The Ozarks' CW. It carries KY3's weekday hour-long 7am and nightly 9pm newscasts.

I first heard "Millennium 3" as a kid, when I used to travel to Shreveport for appointments at their Shriner's Hospital branch, back when KTBS used the version that incorporated the Palmer News Package signature. I didn't hear the original version until 2001, when I visited my now-late uncle in Little Rock, and heard it used on KARK. Of all the news themes I've heard over the years, it's my favorite.

That being said, when Shelly Palmer sold his music library, even the themes that could still be syndicated today, like the Millennium 3 themes, pretty much sat on Warner-Chappell's shelf. No new stations licensed them for use, and the ones that were already licensing them have continued to drop them, whether it be due to group standardization or simple individualized rebranding.

• 11 months later...

Archived