NBC Nightly News studio/sets circa 1982-92

hofflalu

I'm having a heckuva time finding the studio location(s) for NBC Nightly News from the beginning of the Brokaw era up to 1992. This would cover the world map background set from about 1982-85, the tan-ish set from the mid-1980s, plus the blue/"white lines" world map from 1988 until about '92 (in its latter days, I believe the background changed to having a "white grid" overlapping the map). The latter two also had a newsroom setting in the background -- the 1988 one with what I always *thought* was this vast newsroom, though, being a kid at the time, my eyes were probably playing tricks on me.

Anyway, any help on which studios were used, and any pics around showing those sets in use/layout/etc.?

(This link shows the mid-'80s set:

-- and this link shows the later-'80s set:
)

During most of the time period you mentioned, Nightly News originated from Studio 3K, which is now where MSNBC shows like "AllIn with Chris Hayes" and east coast episodes of The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell" currently originate. The actual newsroom during that time was located on the 5th floor with studios for NBC Radio and a small TV studio for news bulletins. I think the newsroom is still on the 5th floor.

3K was the original studio for a lot of NBC News programs because half of 3K's space was old studio 3H, the first television studio in the building.

Here are some photos of the displays outside 3K and 3A that list the programs it's originated and dates they were there:

[MEDIA=flickr]10187156793[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=flickr]10363057086[/MEDIA]

Archived