KABC "Drone Day"

n925tv

KABC was advertising their new "Skywitness News" and their brand new drone for getting aerials of scenic parts of SoCal. The end of news helicopters? More info on their FB page.

The end of news helicopters?

Not until the 24-hour advanced notice stations must give to fly drones is lifted.

Stations are just finding an excuse to fly a drone right now because of new rules and, most importantly, it can be used as a sweeps stunt.

Not until the 24-hour advanced notice stations must give to fly drones is lifted.

Stations are just finding an excuse to fly a drone right now because of new rules and, most importantly, it can be used as a sweeps stunt.

Just give 24 hours notice at all times and renew it as much as needed... Unless the location is part of the notice...

Just give 24 hours notice at all times and renew it as much as needed... Unless the location is part of the notice...

Yep. Location is part of the notice, and so is time I believe.

You also need a licensed pilot on hand, and one source told me "one hell of an insurance policy".

Yep. Location is part of the notice, and so is time I believe.

You also need a licensed pilot on hand, and one source told me "one hell of an insurance policy".

I have to imagine as this goes on things will be sorted out on this and it'll be more common... ABC seems to have invested a little in it... I already know they can afford the insurance at least.

The end of news helicopters?

This is an interesting idea, yet I don't think the "newscopter" is on it's way out yet. Can't fly ABC 7's Bill Thomas on top of that thing. Bill's eyes through a window looking directly at the scene from above is better than him or anyone else viewing the story on a monitor. The drone could still be useful for ENG crews to present additional perspective as to what's going on where they're at, kind of as an intermediate between ground crews and AIR 7 HD...anyone agree?

Meanwhile, I can hear all the gimmicky nicknames being thought up... "DroneCam7HD", for one, is one I'd think would be "in the air" out there...(rimshot)

• 1 month later...

I get the feeling ABC is just shipping the same drone around the country to the O&O's. I have yet to see any of these drones used in regular service.

I think the drones are operated and owned by separate companies that are licensed by the FAA. The stations may add the cameras and the transmitters to the drone. One of the reasons why you don't see them widely used is because they require a commercial pilots license and can't be flown near buildings or over crowds of people. So that pretty much limits their applications. The only demos I've seen by WABC, WPVI, WCAU and KABC are usually just shots over the beach or fields.

So they are pretty much useless for any kind of breaking news. Mine as well just launch the chopper because it's gonna cost the same rate anyway.

Note the "commercial" rating for the drone "pilot".

Is this "pilot" running camera,TOC and reporting at the same time, or do we need a few more people?

Remember what happens when pilots also report(hello AZ)

Where does NABET stand on this?

Too complicated, and far to many people and "trades" now involved+higher cost=novelty use only.

Sorry to be the bean counter, but it's much cheaper to buy "stringer drone" video for $100.

Outside the ABC group, KPIX has joined the game with SkyDrone5. Is there other CBS O&O's doing this?

I guess none of these stations have seen the youtube "flyaway" videos.

In high RF environments these drones like to "fly away" all on their own.

Bye Bye camera, iphone transmitter and gimble.

And where are you supposed to store that gadget since most news trucks are already packed with gear.

Pretty useless.

Archived