WSMV having NBC look?

bmasters1

Noticed per T.L. Hughes' video of WSMV openings that this Nashville NBC station apparently has the NBC look/sound for its news, despite not being outright owned by NBC (IOW, not an O&O). Why is that? (They are Meredith-owned, BTW.)

Noticed per T.L. Hughes' video of WSMV openings that this Nashville NBC station apparently has the NBC look/sound for its news, despite not being outright owned by NBC (IOW, not an O&O). Why is that? (They are Meredith-owned, BTW.)

WBBH 20 (Cable 2) has a similar current NBC O&O look as well as NBC Montana and KSNV 3 in Las Vegas.

I guess they like the graphics packages that NBC has made? I'm not exactly sure why.

It's not NBC's look. I'm aware it's designed by Artworks (owned by NBC), but it's free for any station to use, even it's a station not owned by NBC outright or a different affiliate altogether such as Look T which was used on several Nexstar CBS stations.

It's not NBC's look. I'm aware it's designed by Artworks (owned by NBC), but it's free for any station to use, even it's a station not owned by NBC outright or a different affiliate altogether such as Look T which was used on several Nexstar CBS stations.

I stand corrected! I always thought that, having seen it on NBC O&Os such as KNBC and WNBC, it was NBC's look.

WSMV using an NBC "look" isn't terribly new.

In the 90s, they used a graphics package inspired by "Nightly News" (KNBC used it as well)

Here is the open from that package:

(NBC NN from 1993, skip to 2:05:

https://youtu.be/qPBmFh6p_So)

More recently, they used the "flapping peacock feather" graphics package (whatever "look" that is) with the frenetic/motion sickness inducing open:

More recently, they used the "flapping peacock feather" graphics package (whatever "look" that is) with the frenetic/motion sickness inducing open.

That would be Look F. Also, that shortened YT link doesn't work.

WBBH 20 (Cable 2) has a similar current NBC O&O look as well as NBC Montana and KSNV 3 in Las Vegas.

I guess they like the graphics packages that NBC has made? I'm not exactly sure why.

WBBH uses a similar package because WINK uses the exact NBC O&O package.

WINK TV lol

Yeah, look at KPTV; they did use UPN-style graphics during their tenure under Chris-Craft, but kept their call letters and a local brand; now, it's just Fox 12 Oregon, and they've removed Perry Mason at noon. And WFSB's of course adopted the CBS O&O graphics and that strange Enforcer/Advantage hybrid.

Look C, actually. The previous ones before that were an abomination.

That set was the real abomination. Really the biggest problem with those graphics were the animations and the odd use of lime green...it didn't make any sense at all to have lime green paired up with blue and think that it would work well.

I'm not exactly sure free to use is the right phrase. I doubt they would give away a package for free. I remember seeing a presentation on one of Artworks Vimeo accounts demoing their graphics packages and touch screen software to the O&Os where they made it clear that if an O&O wanted anything more done it would come out of their expense account.

It should also be noted that some stations rip off the O&O looks such as KSNV build their own versions of the look and fail miserably. When KSNV launched their Look F(aux) it looked like they tried some of basic geometry of the package but some of their animations were either missing or lost their intricacies. It honestly looked like they were using PowerPoint as their graphics engine.

Meredith seems to often make their stations into pseudo-O&O's regardless of the network?

It's 50/50 with their CBS stations, WGCL, KPHO and WFSB/WSHM are psuedo O&O's while KMOV, WNEM and KCTV are not. Since WSMV is their only NBC station, there's no basis of comparison.

The FOX stations tend to do their own thing, and having recently acquired WGGB and WALA, not much has changed. KMOV may as well still be a Belo station, using their old graphics and website interface (for now) and WNEM is off in Flint/Saginaw doing a low-budget Scripps ripoff.

It's 50/50 with their CBS stations, WGCL, KPHO and WFSB/WSHM are psuedo O&O's while KMOV, WNEM and KCTV are not. Since WSMV is their only NBC station, there's no basis of comparison.

The FOX stations tend to do their own thing, and having recently acquired WGGB and WALA, not much has changed. KMOV may as well still be a Belo station, using their old graphics and website interface (for now) and WNEM is off in Flint/Saginaw doing a low-budget Scripps ripoff.

KMOV is now using Worldnow and Livestream. They were able to get Worldnow to have the layout similar to what it was with Belo. And they are still using the Belo graphics even though they keep making their own modifications to it.

KMOV is now using Worldnow and Livestream. They were able to get Worldnow to have the layout similar to what it was with Belo. And they are still using the Belo graphics even though they keep making their own modifications to it.

Now I see it. From my glance at it, it still has that "Belo" look and feel to it.

WALA's site went through a total transformation when they switched from the LIN platform to WorldNow. Ironically, Media General now uses it on most of their non-WorldNow stations which were mostly former Young and LIN stations, along with their swaps. Aside from KXRM, WHTM and the former Young stations ALL used WorldNow before switching to the last LIN platform.

Guest Former Member 207

I don't really see the big deal with a network affiliate using a graphics package that the network O&Os use, whether it be a complete copy or a slight variation. To me, it shows synergy/unity between a station and its network.

Archived