WVTM Set-Makeover

Mrapmcdowell

WVTM 'Alabama's 13' is broadcasting from their news room. The morning news anchor Ken Lass mentioned this morning that the studio was undergoing a facelift and should be ready for its new debut sometime next week.

I have to think that is when they will also debut the new MG graphics package as well.

This will now leave ABC3340 as the oldest set in the market. Maybe Sinclair will update their set soon?

They're upgrading to the Hearst package. Media General doesn't own them anymore.

And get ready for either WVTM News or WVTM 13 News or whatever Hearst wants to call them. They like using callsigns for news brandings.

I know Hearst bought two stations. This one and another one. One station was low in the ratings, the other was high in the ratings. Is this the higher rated station or lower rated station? Can't wait for the debut!

They're upgrading to the Hearst package. Media General doesn't own them anymore.

I knew that. I simply typed the old owners name. MG and LIN merged wich caused this shuffle between them and WIAT42.

Got to admit thought the set and graphics for WIAT really work well together...Good call for MG/LIN to keep them and sell off WVTM

I know Hearst bought two stations. This one and another one. One station was low in the ratings, the other was high in the ratings. Is this the higher rated station or lower rated station? Can't wait for the debut!

@newsmaster What do you mean they "tested out" the new graphics?

WJCL and by "testing out" they accidentally left up their live stream while they were rehearsing. You could see them playing out the opens and other show elements.

Something tells me (somewhat off topic) that some of the old Media General stations will get a graphics makeover too, and the old logos from the early 2000s (shortly after the Spartan purchase) will be gone too, changed to more basic ones like the ex-LIN stations mostly have...

Seeing as how both Media General and Hearst use FX sets (that look similar), and the fact the changes will be done in a few days, it's probably a very cosmetic upgrade of swapping out the duratranses, maybe a new paint or trim job, some more monitors, and maybe a new desk....

WJCL's set is newer and not from FX, so it may be around for a while. WVTM's dates back to 2007, as it was built for them going HD, and was towards the end of the old FX-era sets Media General used.

WVTM has offically been Hearst-ified!! WTVM 13 News is the branding along with Strive news music and new duratrans for the set that inclued the Hearst graphics look. Weather is no longer known as Intercepter and now just WVTM 13 weather. The website address is wvtm13.com. I will admit it is pretty cool seeing a Hearst station in Alabama now! They can only make 13 go up from here.

This shows the good and bad parts of corporate-wide graphics/music. From a good aspect, it makes the newscast look and sound very polished. The downside is that it looks exactly the same as every other Hearst station across the country, and that makes it feel a little generic.

Just as I expected....the only thing different on the set is the duratranses. Hearst took the cheap way out......for now.

It occurred way to quick. I'm having trouble viewing the live stream but caught the end of their last newscast and don't see why they were out of the studio for a day or two. It seems like this sort of thing could have been done in an afternoon with minimal downtime.

Edit: It appears they applied "wall paper" of sorts behind the weather center which would take a while where you have to dismantle monitors and other equipment.

It is definitely a step in the right direction. I feel like in time Hearst will do more with the set, but as we are all aware of, the overall operations at WVTM need more change than anything. It will be interesting to watch them in the weeks and months to come -- we will be seeing some big changes I'm sure

Was able to see their evening open last night on their live stream just a minute ago. The open sucked! I am disapointed

Isn't it pretty much the same open as on virtually every other Hearst station? (" news starts RIGHT NOW.") Even the talent rejoins are pretty much the same across the board.

Just as I expected....the only thing different on the set is the duratranses. Hearst took the cheap way out......for now.

They just closed on the station in late December. You have to give them more time to make improvements. The rebranding is a good start and much needed.

They just closed on the station in late December. You have to give them more time to make improvements. The rebranding is a good start and much needed.

I agree. Give it till this upcoming late December and WVTM will be what a Hearst station will look and feel like. Time is needed to make the improvements.

Archived