WNDU new set

mobilene

Hat's off to the people at FX Group.

FX seems to have cornered the market down on mass market set designs. Aside from the duratrans behind the anchor desk this appears to be an exact clone of WGAL (I feel like there's also another Hearst station in Maine and a MG station in VA that has this set as well.).

I only wish there were monitors on each side between the anchors, the meteorologist and sportscaster to add versatility (they could buy two 75" TV's at Costco or Sams Club for less than $3,000). I haven't seen the exact shot blocking but if they do a head on shot people will be seeing a color changing wall.

And I just learned that WNDU is no longer owned by Notre Dame (I'm about 8 years late). I got WNDU and KOMU mixed up as they are/were both NBC affiliates owned by their universities.

I'm underwhelmed, but I remember the station's glory days when it was still owned by Notre Dame and the university invested in the station and tried to do fairly innovative things with it (for a station in a market of that size). Since Gray bought it, the innovation has fallen way off and it's all standard smaller-market stuff. Yawn. -Jim

Wow, does that still shot not represent that set well. The lighting is a totally wrong color temperature, and makes the whole thing look more brown than it is. The people look positively sepia-toned.

I think the L-shaped corner desk is beginning to border on cliche. It seems nearly every new FX set uses a variation on it, plus some non-FX sets like Devlin's WTMJ set use a different L-shaped desk. That's going to be the first thing that will look dated about a lot of these sets, and the first to be removed/replaced when they want a refresh.

im not a fan of the faux stone in general on a news set. it has a less serious feel and makes it feel more like a ski lodge than a news set. if you do the brick like on CBS This Morning than i think it has a more serious feel but these stones look like sidings on homes in my community. not something you want for a news organization in my opinion

Archived