Updates to Southern Media's NMSA

I thought I create a thread because the shoutbox is flooded with comments in regards to updates to the titles of news music mostly of Gari's collection (and vintage.)

I got some questions.

First off TVN? It sounds like New Milennium, so will KYW's theme from 1999 be reclassified?

(7) On Your Side makes sense with the 7 in parentheses, since mostly the ABC O&Os plus WSVN were the ones that used it. Why now to rename it?

News Series 3000 is a complete curveball, who gave SouthernMedia that info??? WBZ wasn't really using much of the standard EWN formats both the ABC and Group W standards (except for the CapCities/WABC ripoff in the 1992 graphics package and other cases I can't come off ATM.) There's a back story I'm waiting to find out.

I can't come off as skeptical because there must be a reason why there are new names, because one wouldn't recklessly name a well known music because one could get into legal trouble.

I do suggest the NMSA to use cross references between the original title and/or the current title being marketed, as I said on the shoutbox, I still refer to Advantage as the WFSB theme and The Reporter to WCBS 880's late 80s soudner package. I'm not too cool with rewriting history or score title sheet with whiteout kinda thing.

First off TVN? It sounds like New Milennium, so will KYW's theme from 1999 be reclassified?

No. Only the KTUU version of New Millennium is called TVN. Stupid? Yeah, a bit.

(7) On Your Side makes sense with the 7 in parentheses, since mostly the ABC O&Os plus WSVN were the ones that used it. Why now to rename it?

Because that's to distinguish the different "On Your Side"s.

News Series 3000 is a complete curveball, who gave SouthernMedia that info??? WBZ wasn't really using much of the standard EWN formats both the ABC and Group W standards (except for the CapCities/WABC ripoff in the 1992 graphics package and other cases I can't come off ATM.) There's a back story I'm waiting to find out.

I can't come off as skeptical because there must be a reason why there are new names, because one wouldn't recklessly name a well known music because one could get into legal trouble.

The source for this information appears to be some sort of internal Gari records, as had been mentioned to me privately last month.

For me I anticipated some of the splits coming: The One for All, the On Your Side split. I did not anticipate any of the package renames though.

How long has B Package officially had the name Revolution?

It's not in the BMI repertoire as with most of these new names. However, "News Series 3000" is. "TVN" is as well — I suspect it is so named for the Polish channel which was a Gari client. (No, not Chile — though the Chile one is represented.)

The source for this information appears to be some sort of internal Gari records, as had been mentioned to me privately last month.

It's not in the BMI repertoire as with most of these new names. However, "News Series 3000" is. "TVN" is as well — I suspect it is so named for the Polish channel which was a Gari client. (No, not Chile — though the Chile one is represented.)

I had a feeling TVN was some network across the pond.

NS3K doesn't have a futuristic sound to be quite honest to have such naming.

Yeah. Before and after the theme that is in the NMSA, all of the Chilean TVN themes for their various newscasts have been custom compositions — some of which I really like.

Also, Mr. NMSA snuck in my find of the Aguascalientes (Mexico) state network with In-Sink. No sample was posted even though I sent one. Mexico's state networks are absolutely prolific local programming producers.

The Gari records thing makes sense.

And actually, I first read the name News Series 3000 here, before going to the Facebook, I immediately thought "Is that the name for WBZ 1985?" The opening of the theme actually does sort of sound like the NS2000 signature.

I wonder if these changes reflect all that was discovered, or if more is coming?

No. Only the KTUU version of New Millennium is called TVN. Stupid? Yeah, a bit.

Actually, this makes me wonder: Looking up TVN's program "Fakty" that the theme was used on, YouTube clips show that both the program and the theme started in 1997. (NMSA says 2003-present, but it actually seems to be 1997-2004.) So what I'm wondering is, was the TVN theme based on the NBC New Millennium cut, or was the TVN theme done first and then reworked into the New Millennium cut? I notice that both packages seem to have debuted in 1997. (The This Is Your News and KYW ones have later start years.)

We've had themes migrate to the U.S. from Europe before - News Line started on RTL before being picked up by Maryland Public Television, and didn't Non-Stop's Power News also start as an RTL custom?

Also, the This Is Your News and KYW versions seem to have been based on the TVN theme - the NBC New Millennium one heard on NMSA has a different/shorter ending.

As I said, I am thinking the TVN one came before the other "New Millennium" variants. They started in 1998-99, and TVN introduced their theme in October 1997. Again, the only question is if those cuts were part of NBC New Millennium before TVN started using them, or if they were incorporated into New Millennium after. (Knowing how Gari liked to repurpose tracks in multiple packages, it could have gone either way...)

I just like hearing the new cuts. Especially "The Hour". What a great package!

I'm agreeing on that. The Hour is a magnificent package, though it's easy to see how it would have dated within five years. It's very much a package for the "24-hour news" mentality of the era. It's a real gem and went so well with the graphics and image WTSP brought in at the time.

The update also silently restored the News Series 2000 Plus name, I think. "Stimulus" is now only used for the 2013 updates commissioned by WLS.

That was done several months ago, when the site got the demo of the new stuff, and WLS' old music was renamed 'WLS News Package' (which was a poorly-received move 'round here), as it also includes the First News/Stimulus (WHY MUST THAT KEEP HAPPENING???) morning mash-up.

Speaking of WFSB, I do wonder if the WFSB cuts of The One for All used in the early TVbD years were even The One for All. They weren't ever used by anyone else, and the melody line actually seems to say "We're The One and Only Channel 3". It seems like a cousin of The One For All, but not actually part of it...

WLS - really confused me with the 2013 updates. Are they using EWN or a WLS theme?

I actually skeptical when getting information from the NMSA. The guy expects us to be accurate when we give the information to him, but he can name some theme whatever he feels like on a different day.

WLS - really confused me with the 2013 updates. Are they using EWN or a WLS theme?

Series 1 of EWN is used for the morning open/close, the 2013 Stimulus bumper is used in and out of breaks in the morning, while the Stimulus open/close is only used in the evening, and EWN NG2 serves as the evening bumper. WABC's cuts are used for promos, and another NG cut of EWN is used for the midday webcast.

It's a little messy.

Series 1 of EWN is used for the morning open/close, the 2013 Stimulus bumper is used in and out of breaks in the morning, while the Stimulus open/close is only used in the evening, and EWN NG2 serves as the evening bumper. WABC's cuts are used for promos, and another NG cut of EWN is used for the midday webcast.

It's a little messy.

If I were making the title decision, their package should just be lumped into the Eyewitness News package. It's so broad now with all the NG cuts. Or call it Eyewitness News with the Stimulus Signature.

I don't think the title changes are 100% arbitrary, the info does seem to be based on titles Gari has assigned the packages at various times (even if only internally).

Honestly, you could say that the problem is that Gari is kind of messy. Custom stuff gets folded into syndicated packages, two packages share the same name, packages get renamed or split off from existing packages, tracks get repurposed into multiple packages with different melodies. Read the thread about shared tracks between multiple packages.

And News Series 2000 Plus is messy anyway. Yes, the 2000 Plus/WLS News Package split seems arbitrary, especially considering that the main WLS theme cut was part of 2000 Plus and quite a few stations NMSA lists for 2000 Plus used it. But at the same time, there are other cuts in 2000 Plus that WLS never used, and vice-versa. There are the initial (non-WLS) ones based on the Cool Hand Luke melody - and from the NMSA open examples it seems like each station used completely different cuts. Then there are the ones used by WTSP and others that were recycled tracks from The One and Only. And of course, WLS got their own separate cuts later, reworked from First News and other packages.

I'm not even sure whether the classic WLS open cut was in 2000 Plus from the start - it seems that only ABC O&Os ever used it, and for the first couple years WLS seems to have been the only station to use it (WTVD apparently used it for mornings only when they had 2000 Plus, and KGO didn't pick it up until 1998). I'd love to know what cuts were actually in 2000 Plus at various points in time - promoguy98, do you possibly know?

I don't think the title changes are 100% arbitrary, the info does seem to be based on titles Gari has assigned the packages at various times (even if only internally). Honestly, you could say that the problem is that Gari is kind of messy. Custom stuff gets folded into syndicated packages, two packages share the same name, packages get renamed or split off from existing packages, tracks get repurposed into multiple packages with different melodies.

I agree, Gari is the worst offender. No other publisher renames packages in the severity as Gari's firm does.

Read the thread about shared tracks between multiple packages.

which thread was that?

Archived