Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well damn. Have other on-air promos said "7ABC," or was that a Freudian slip by Aaron?

Next thing you know, they'll get the ABC-standard circle 7 logo WXYZ uses instead of that horribly mutated 7 from the 80s.

Looks like they're in the early stages of Scripps integration. They mentioned the Storm Shield app...

We'll know soon enough if they adopt the current Scripps package. If they do, then that means it'll probably live on for another 2 years or so.

KGTV is running new promos touting its new fall lineup. Here is the afternoon schedule from 3-8pm...

3:00- Let's Ask America

3:30- Right This Minute

4:00- Right This Minute

4:30- Inside Edition

5:00- 10 News

6:00- 10 News

6:30- ABC World News

7:00- 10 News

7:30- The List

So KGTV is adding Let's Ask America full time and The List. Inside Edition is being moved to lead into the 5pm news. They should have done a newscast at 4pm to compete with KNSD, instead of having another run of RTM.

KSHB has been running promos stating that The List will start there September 8th...but have completely failed to mention what time the List will air. I suspect that it will replace a Jeopardy! airing at 3 or 3:30.

We'll know soon enough if they adopt the current Scripps package. If they do, then that means it'll probably live on for another 2 years or so.

KSHB has been running promos stating that The List will start there September 8th...but have completely failed to mention what time the List will air. I suspect that it will replace a Jeopardy! airing at 3 or 3:30.

Something like this?:

Wow so they're going from eye-cringing graphics to a stunning graphics in the matter of seconds...

Something like this?:

Oh that promo was so hard to watch because of Sonny Warner. She has got to be one of the most annoying and most fake sounding VO's out there...

Wow so they're going from eye-cringing graphics to a stunning graphics in the matter of seconds...

Oh that promo was so hard to watch because of Sonny Warner. She has got to be one of the most annoying and most fake sounding VO's out there...

She trying so hard to sound like Carol Gallagher. Gallagher ain't got nothing on her, though. I agree, that she tries to sound so enthusiastic (in otherwords, fake as hell). Why they didn't get Suzy Nelson while they at it?

She trying so hard to sound like Carol Gallagher. Gallagher ain't got nothing on her, though. I agree, that she tries to sound so enthusiastic (in otherwords, fake as hell). Why they didn't get Suzy Nelson while they at it?

We currently use:

Rich Van Slyke (Main VO)

Sonny Warner (Occasionally, she had been doing local ads appearing on WXYZ rather than actual promos up until that one). She did one about 6 years ago that's similar to the flooding one below.

Then there's the mystery lady doing an ad for "The Now Detroit", this one debuted on tonights 11pm newscast:

She is the #2 VO and does promos for feature stories when Van Slyke isn't available as well as the assorted general station promos

We had some bad flooding and they made this promo touting their coverage:

I think some elements of the flooding promo graphics would actually make a pretty cool package. They've been using more and more of this look in promos. The flooding disaster full screen graphic at the beginning was used in the newscasts to transition in and out of coverage as well.

Too bad it was a special event that prompted a different look, at least we know they will do special graphical elements like these boxes during breaking or special coverage:

Actually, I consider it an upgrade for Mike Randall. He's free from the morning beat (especially given the very poor reception their latest morning show attempt had), and he's also back doing feature reports, which has long been his strong suit. Plus he is a theatre actor on the side.

The WKBW post says outright that Andy Parker will be their morning forecaster, and the newspaper article (published before Andy was a confirmed hire) tabbed Autumn Lewandowski for mornings. Methinks she's headed strictly for noon and 5pm now.

Actually, I consider it an upgrade for Mike Randall. He's free from the morning beat (especially given the very poor reception their latest morning show attempt had), and he's also back doing feature reports, which has long been his strong suit. Plus he is a theatre actor on the side.

What's likely going to happen is, Aaron Mentkowski does the noon and 5 weather, Andy Parker has weather at 6 and 11, and Mike Randall will be Parker's primary substitute.

So then where would that leave Autumn Lewandowski and Jessica McLaughlin?

So then where would that leave Autumn Lewandowski and Jessica McLaughlin?

Corrected above. Autumn should be moved to 12 and 5. I misread the article and thought that Andy Parker was going to evenings. Still, Mike Randall makes sense to be Aaron Mentkowski's primary sub in the evenings.

Perhaps Jessica teams with Andy in the morning until WKBW can support a weekend morning newscast?

Just thinking about the mornings.

Andy Parker, Desiree Wiley and AM reporter Jaclyn Asztalos are all from Western New York. it wouldn't surprise me if Scripps is looking for Buffalo born-and-raised talent to serve as the morning anchors. The "hometown" card would be a nice selling point for them, especially after the failure of the last duo.

I'm sure that they'll be looking to push the fact that all five of their meteorologists are from Buffalo, too.

WHAT??!!! I didn't even see this. Putting him on weekends is their nice way to slowly end his long-storied 30+-year career at KB. I call that pitiful.

Something to keep in mind. Randall wasn't even originally hired as a meteorologist when he came to KB in 1983, but as a features reporter. Only until he made his (initial) move to mornings in 1993 did he become a forecaster, then after he got his seal he took over the chief met duties when Tom Jolls retired in 1999. While he will be doing weather on the weekends only, he still will be fairly visible while doing features. They would be wise to keep him beyond next December, though.

Looking back (and it didn't really matter to me that much because this happened a year after I moved there), that might have been part of the reason that Andy Parker initially left because he figured that after Tom Jolls retired, he would be the heir apparent as chief met, but Randall got it instead. The "side company" situation just happened to be the last straw. Now that he's back, the station made sure they went out of their way to put him in charge of the entire operation. While Aaron Mentkowski is still the chief meteorologist, and will be until he leaves (his ties to the area are too strong for him to leave, I think) or retires (he turned 40 a few months ago, so that will be a while), Parker will oversee the weather department, apparently, which I'm sure KB used as the justification to throw however much money they gave him to poach him from 'GRZ.

WKBW has re-hired Laura Gray as their morning/noon anchor. She was there as a AM reporter/fill-in anchor from 2006-2011 before leaving the business to work in PR.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/08/20/laura-gray-returning-ch-7-morning-noon-anchor/

Also, they should be getting the Scripps graphics/music package around mid-September. My guess would be the 15th at the earliest, or the 22nd to coincide with the new season.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/08/21/ch-2s-psychic-experiment-big-success-fergusons-game-show-air-wnyo/ (last paragraph)

Also, they should be getting the Scripps graphics/music package around mid-September. My guess would be the 15th at the earliest, or the 22nd to coincide with the new season.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/08/21/ch-2s-psychic-experiment-big-success-fergusons-game-show-air-wnyo/ (last paragraph)

Wow. I didn't think they would be implemented that quickly.

Curious as to how much the Buffalo market reacts to the dropping of MCTYW a second time, as that will be a gobsmackingly obvious move. (If MCTYW is somehow retained, I will be shocked beyond belief.) It probably HAS to happen, as Granite's cheapness denigrated the entire image of the station.

Likewise, the current "7" logo with the WKBW red bar underneath needs to be scrapped for either their "7" logo from the early 90s, or the ABC-standard 'circle 7' that WXYZ uses.

Archived