MSNBC Studio 3A/Newsroom Overhaul?

Weeters

Something may be up at MSNBC...

For at least the duration of this week, Rachel Maddow's show, which usually originates from the main MSNBC studio (3A), has been done from some auxiliary studio with images of the "main" set projected onto a large screen amongst other set pieces. It's pretty obvious in this video that they are not on the main set, as the backdrop behind the guest should be the big tall wall with monitors stacked in it.

"Morning Joe", which also usually uses the main set, is currently broadcasting from Studio 3K, and looks like it's been there for the last few days.

The set that was in there debut in 2007, so perhaps NBC has decided it's time for an upgrade?

Something may be up at MSNBC...

For at least the duration of this week, Rachel Maddow's show, which usually originates from the main MSNBC studio (3A), has been done from some auxiliary studio with images of the "main" set projected onto a large screen amongst other set pieces. It's pretty obvious in this video that they are not on the main set, as the backdrop behind the guest should be the big tall wall with monitors stacked in it.

"Morning Joe", which also usually uses the main set, is currently broadcasting from Studio 3K, and looks like it's been there for the last few days.

The set that was in there debut in 2007, so perhaps NBC has decided it's time for an upgrade?

CNBC has gone through like 20 set refreshes since moving to E.C. And that was 11 years ago (almost to this day!)

They were back in the studio today. Nothing looks to be changed. But I am guessing they may if redone the floors which has a gear assembly that is used to move the desks in and out of the studio and can be used to raise one portion of the floor about nine feet in the air.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if they swapped out the motor with the one from the contraption on the short-lived Late Night set just to justify the purchase. :rolleyes:

"We're gonna get something out of that set!!"

Doubt it the gears and tracking were completely removed from the floor. In addition the platform that could be raised (supposedly to 52 inches) near the spiral staircase in the middle of the studio that divided the newsroom portion from the set portion was removed. For the record I have never seen that platform raised even a foot off the ground.

Tonight, The Rachel Maddow Show, is broadcasting tonight from the larger insert studio that is home to The Weather Channel's Wake Up With Al. Now for most shots you wouldn't notice that she was broadcasting from a different studio as the standard shot showed the rear projection wall of home base. The blocking looked a little awkward as she interviewed an in studio guest with the large flat panel showing the normal "home base" next to those narrow horizontal monitors which showed two virtual monitors inside them.

Here are some photos that I posted on Twitter, you made need to refresh the page to see them:

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/528362689807273984

This insert studio has also been used for Noticiero Telemundo when they broadcast from New York. If I recall correctly the studio's shelving was filled with sports paraphernalia during NBCSN's The Crossover with Michelle Beadle during the shows short eight month run.

It also appears that the wall in the back appears to be LED based changing the background. For example during Noticiero Telemundo a mahogany wood finish:

https://twitter.com/jdbalart/status/525046103847489536

Click here for another photo as there seems to be a two tweet limit per post.

At least I hope it is LED based as I would hate to be the one changing the paneling.

Looks like last Friday's move may have been to overhaul 3A for Election Night. A huge new desk is now in the space, though Rachel Maddow implied it's only going to be there for the election.

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/529458063426985984

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/529487313592938496

I think it looks impressive. I think they should keep the added rear projection screen when this is all over.

Sorry about the blurriness of the fourth photo of Steve Kornacki as all these caps were taken from their iPad streaming app. I do like how they continued the strip of shoulder height monitor wall towards the middle of the studio to separate the newsroom part. You can see what I am talking about in the fourth image.

If you can't see anything please refresh.

Archived