Boston's Channel 4 Anchor Jack Williams is retiring from the anchor desk

cbs2newengland

Apparently on social media, the WBZ twitter account shows a picture of the anchor entitled "Thanks, Jack." Jack Williams has been at WBZ for 39 years. He will contribute to the station's special projects and such.

Gallery of screengrabs over his tenure: boston.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2014/08/26/jack-williams-through-the-years-wbz-tv/

I don't have any real opinion of Williams; I mean, he's a local legend and deserves the accolades, but anything of him I've ever seen has given me the impression that he's a proverbial "old relic" that probably should've hung it up years ago. Am I wrong/misguided, or can some New Englanders vouch for this?

At any rate, may he enjoy a long, happy retirement.

I don't have any real opinion of Williams; I mean, he's a local legend and deserves the accolades, but anything of him I've ever seen has given me the impression that he's a proverbial "old relic" that probably should've hung it up years ago. Am I wrong/misguided, or can some New Englanders vouch for this?

Jack is the dean of Boston television news. He has made quite an impact through his "Wednesday's Child" adoption series which features a special needs child during each Wednesday evening's 6pm newscast. The concept was copied by stations throughout the country. Several years ago he began an endowment to provide grants to agencies. In short, Jack has used the medium to do good for the community.

The station is airing this sixty second promotion which sums it best:

. Jack will remain at WBZ as a special correspondent as well as showcasing each "Wednesday's Child."

Don't let the bitter clinger right wingers from the Boston Herald comments ruin your view of him. They pick on his age and his alleged political views. Those anonymous punks...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2014/08/26/jack-williams-through-the-years-wbz-tv/ (Same link; just now clickable)

Such a sweet farewell message from the station to a man well-known and well-beloved in the Boston TV market.

I typically do not hotlink sites (with http) since you can double click on the single phrase and right click onto a new window. Its just that I respect accessible website standards because not everyone has the gift like other users of the web. That's my little thing.

There's no one (at least in Boston) like Jack. From top to bottom, the gravitas, the voice, ability to ad-lib and overall smarts. Watching him for hours on end during the hunt for the marathon bombers in my hometown really showcased what a treasure this guy is in the world of anchoring. I'll never forget how angry he was after the initial explosion "I hope they find these S.O.B.s in a hurry." It spoke to how everyone was feeling at the time.

Secondary to the whole thing, he's actually got a personality and sense of humor unlike some of the robots on tv that get endless amusement out of their "quips".

bostonmediaguy posted a great video, and I'd reccommend people take a quick peak at this really great promo that showcases his tremendous work with Wednesday's Child:

Let's hope he enjoys his retirement, and maybe, for his last night, they bring back Liz Walker, Bruce Schwoegler, Bob Lobel and Joyce Kulhawik to reunite the classic Eyewitness News team again.

I second that! Jack, Liz, Bruce, Bob, and Joyce are a Boston Institution of broadcast journalism. Hat's off to you Jack!

Archived